Case Western Reserve University Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

That is an interesting theory. Though its contingent on the idea that most students are prompt in withdrawing other applications.

1 Like

I thought it was contractually required.

There’s no enforcement mechanism for doing so quickly.

1 Like

CWRU sent out emails before EA last year reminding students to please withdraw if they had already committed to an ED school.

2 Likes

Yes they have to withdraw but first they have to accept. Some students are waiting on financial aid packages or challenging the offerings before accepting ED. There is a pretty long time to give a yes to an ED1 school. Now both of mine went to an ED2 school. With ED2 there was only a week to accept. I think the reason being is smaller pool and more time for financial aid to compete the packages.

2 Likes

It sounds horrible but I was glad my son decided to just be happy with his 1450 SAT and focus his time on strengthening other parts of his resume like community service and leadership (not that he does either just to cushion his resume-he genuinely enjoys both.) He has a 4.0 unweighted GPA (he school does not weight) with advanced and AP classes so I suppose that could work against him in terms of yield. Case Western and Northeastern are known to reject very high stats kids (due to yield efforts) so I feel more hopeful with his 1450 than I would with a 1550, which he may have been able to pull off with some extra prep. Having said that, I have seen very high stats kids get accepted and also heard that demonstrated interest is the MOST IMPORTANT factor by far, so don’t be discouraged.

2 Likes

Did you have the full financial package (exact COA) before committing to ED2? I heard they are very good about offering this information early in the process, usually in the acceptance letter for EA candidates. In fact, I heard that even deferred students get a detailed COA in the deferral letter, although maybe someone here can confirm if that is true.

1 Like

First we do not qualify for financial aid so no to that piece for you but my daughter did get her surprise merit scholarship right in the letter with ED2. EA does not give that information with deferral but waitlisted students in their letter were told what the package would look like if they were to be given and admission offer.

The only thing we can get really; financial aid is the small government loan.

We also have to disclose (and it makes it fun with colleges) that my husband has an old benefit from the University of Miami which is tuition remission. We pay whatever university our children go to (Emory and CWRU) and then we get back the tuition up to the cost of UM. We then pay taxes on the reimbursed money. At CWRU with her merit scholarship it means that in the end tuition costs the taxes. Housing, books, fees etc we pay.

2 Likes

Thank you for all that helpful info! So if my son is admitted EA, we won’t really know merit or financial aid until after January? I wish cost wasn’t a huge factor (and it’s not the ONLY factor) but that will definitely guide his final decision. I know CWR has a big price tag but they do seem to be generous with merit, even offering your daughter a surprise award, so that’s nice. That’s great you can take advantage of the tuition remission benefit. Best of luck to your kids!

2 Likes

Merit will be in the letter for sure if it’s a yes. It was the third line or so of the acceptance letter. It’s the other financial aid I don’t really know about since we don’t qualify. We didn’t see the little loan (the we knew was available to us) until later but that’s different. I would think you would see it pretty quickly since it can make the difference.

My daughter absolutely loves the school as an fyi. They are very nice to undergrad which is not always the case at research institutions. Undergrads can get lost in the shuffle of grad students but CWRU gives undergrads a lot of services and support. The personal touch to an acceptance letter is really nice too.

As you are waiting for EA make sure someone is opening and clicking through the emails that come through. Demonstrated interest makes a difference there.

My daughter’s 2nd cousin (my husband’s family) got into CWRU last year EA for nursing. She had visited the school and had long conversations about the nursing program and how the school would work with students with alternative learning needs. We have heard from her parents they have been wonderful with that too.

It’s funny. The cousin is from Maryland and we are Florida. We had no idea they were both applying. Then the both attending even more of a shock. My daughter’s roommate sees the cousin since both nursing but my daughter has only seen her once. Different circles. So they never pass.

3 Likes

Thank you for clarifying! That’s so cool they found that family connection and funny how it was discovered and how they find themselves in the different circles. I could totally see that. We attended an open house in April and my son loved the vibe and rigor. Really wants to be in or near a city so what a great location! He spoke to a cognitive science professor for a bit and it sounded like he could easily double major in psych & cognitive science. We were so impressed with the student panels between research and balancing several majors with sports, etc. It’s known as more of a STEM college so we weren’t sure how a psych major would fit in but it doesn’t seem to be an issue after visiting (and might even have some perks with smaller classes.) We are from Buffalo so not a bad distance at all (he’s applying to some Florida schools BTW-now that’s a trek!) In addition to the open house, he did an online session and had an interview so hopefully that qualifies as demonstrated interest and it’s clear it’s a top choice for him. Appreciate your feedback very much!

That is demonstrated interest for sure. Do make sure he opens and clicks through those emails. My daughter knows some psyche majors. She also knows cognitive science majors - not that you listed that but it sounds cool. Though most don’t think about CWRU for humanities the professors are very good and the classes are very small. The access to faculty is incredible and everyone knows your name. My daughter for invited to take a one credit history class taught by most of the professors in the history department (if I recall you got an invite for a 5 on specific AP history exams). It was really an intro to what each of the professors that came to the class was lecturing about their own research. She loved it. Getting an A in the course allowed you to earn the 1 credit hour and 3 more as that is how the AP history credits would get counted. She was impressed with the faculty and the experience.

She recently had a Chem test disappear. The way Chem for engineers is taught is one section all 500 students come to lecture together. They bring a clicker and answer questions with it. Then they have a small breakout session with a leader. Those are small and meet more frequently. All 500 take the exams at the same time and are randomly
assigned to a testing room. Some how one of her exams went POOF. Completely gone. She didn’t know it and since so many failed she thought she had done so too. She took the test right after learning her best friend had passed of cancer over night so thought it was possible. Eventually (as in after having taken the next test) it came to light the 2nd test was gone when her SA from her small
Group asked if she ever took it. She had to contact the professor. After a bit of back in forth including explaining the delay and contacting her navigator for advice she got to sit for the exam over a month late. Many schools would have given her a zero and done but nope. All fixed. Oh even if she fails the final her grade in that class would be a B. She has an A so failing a Chem test would not be normal.

She loves that it’s an open door policy and anyone can take anything. Only music majors MUST audition and get accepted to the major. That has to do with showing off that you really play an instrument. Nursing majors need to let the school know right away but that is so they aren’t behind. It’s one of very few places where clinical starts almost immediately. Rachel’s roommate is already placed in a medical setting and doing hands on work. Freshman are on equal footing with upperclass when it comes to auditions for theatre. She was a main part in her last (and next show) and in the last one a first year was the lead.

It really is a city school with the cleveland orchestra and most of the main city museums and medical centers being on campus. Sports teams and the largest US theatre district are very close and easily accessible. Little Italy is walkable. There is much to do. The dress access to buses and trains cannot be beat and the train is an easy free way to get to the airport.

I like that many of the upperclass dorms surround the football field. So no one may be in the stands but they do cheer from the windows. CWRU woman’s soccer earned a lot of support this year. They won their division, were ranked number 4 and came in number in the tournament. Best finish for them ever and pretty exciting.

Which Florida schools? We have explored many of them but there are a lot here and many are exceptional.

3 Likes

Has anyone else noticed that emails from the school have dropped dramatically? Almost nothing after the first week in December. Not that we need more, but just a bit eerie after having received so many in earlier months.

4 Likes

You will probably continue to see a couple of week or so.

2 Likes

I went to CWRU in the early 80’s and they were “chatty” via snail mail too
I had never heard of them (I am from NJ) but I did via all their mailings. I liked the size, the engineering and the guaranteed housing.

2 Likes

I had a college advisor when I was in my high school senior year and Case was one of the schools he suggested. I read about them and applied. Didn’t really get any unsolicited emails. Decided I liked what I read and sent it out. I had an interview with someone from admissions. They flew to GA to do it. I really enjoyed the interview and he said that he was recommending me for scholars weekend and I would hear by February. I never got an acceptance letter but I got the one to come. We called the school. They apologized and said yes I was in and please come. When we got there everyone knew me and handed me my totally destroyed letter (and a better copy). It had gotten stuck to something in the mail room. I was a little famous. I loved that weekend. It was the senior that I got to stay with that was the real reason. She had two of us and actually made reservations at a bunch of things she thought we might like but also told us she was in the film society. We went with her to the movie and evening social event. The students were amazing. They made sure we were comfortable in whatever was happening and really showed us what it would be like being there. In the end the only reason I didn’t go was emory was in Atlanta and I wanted to stay in GA. When I went with my daughter last December I immediately remembered how much I liked it there.

I am glad she loves the school. Personally I appreciate the chatty communication. I always know what is going on. I also know how to pick and choose when to read. I think it’s part of CWRU’s culture. My feeling is if people don’t like that side of it than the school may not be the right fit. No school is right for everyone. Every school, even the right ones, will have some things that you may not like but both the school and person need to find the best fit.

1 Like

That flexibility is so welcome & important. My daughter’s friend at Loyola New Orleans was really suffering (grades and mental health issues.) The president of the college actually talked to him to let him know they’d support him and figure out solutions, not to give up. We attended the open house at Pitt and a student talked about how he was struggling in one class and he was pre-med so his GPA was really important for med school and he was really stressed. He reached out to his advisor and they were able to let him take it pass/fail. I know some schools pride themselves in “zero tolerarce” and being tough on grades (and I’m not saying students should get a pass over and over) but just some compassion and “thinking outside the box” goes a long way.

The Florida schools on his list are:
Rollins (got in with $32K merit and they shocked us with a $17K grant on top of that!) COA $26,000
Barry University (got in with $19K, invited to apply for full ride STAMPS scholarship) COA $25,500
Nova Southeastern (got in with $19K, invited to shark weekend to compete for scholarships, including a full tuition one.) COA $26,700

We are Rollins fans in our house. My son loved it. To him it was little Emory. It’s actually why he chose Oxford Emory first. - wanted that Rollins feel. We know lots of students that go there or graduated and many people that are alum. Generous school too! STAMPS is awesome. We know stamps scholars at UM and at GT. Good luck with that one. Nova has some really neat options too.

When my daughter’s navigator heard that her best friend had passed - the first thing he said was grades are not the entire picture followed by what do you need. He gave her all the options for supper on campus. As it was it happened close to fall break so she came home and got to go to the memorial. But it was really nice. CWRU also has a forgiveness thing for first years. They can drop a class and it won’t show at all on the transcript. Not going to be an issue for her but the school
Is supportive for sure. All students are assigned a research librarian too. She hasn’t needed hers but the person is there. Lots of study sessions informal and formal that happen. Plus a certain number of free tutoring. The students are really nice. The theatre is far from first year dorms. Auditions are at night. The very first audition a senior went over to the first years and told them - didn’t offer told- that they were all being driven back. All the students are supportive like that we have met.

4 Likes

Thank you for highlighting all these perks. Very helpful to get an insider’s view and perspective! My son will not be a music major or minor but he’s going to put in the music supplemental for drums. They offer some scholarships for non-majors so he thought he’d give it a try. I believe the hard deadline is Jan. 15th but he’s trying to get it done by the end of December. Obviously, first he needs to get accepted so don’t want to jump the gun!

2 Likes

Nice! My daughter is theatre and mech e. Originally wasn’t going to major in theatre but then realized while doing the supplements and the auditions that she had to. The school has music classes for non major/minor too so he should keep that in mind. My daughter has a friend who gets her PE requirement done by doing marching band so there is that too.

3 Likes