Case Western Reserve University Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

I was so hopeful that ‘on or around December 21’ would mean before December 21

4 Likes

Eversoda, Impressive stats. I do not know how competitive Case’s pre-med program is, but you would be a shoe-in for the engineering school. I would not be surprised if you were accepted with a generous merit package.

Good luck to you.

thermom, My son is a freshman at Case, and his experience there has been great so far. One of the attractions of CWRU was the school’s support for double majors and minors (the student who guided our tour was a MechE with a minor in Econ). The campus and surrounding neighborhood with restaurants, shopping, etc. was attractive to him as other schools on his list were in the middle of nowhere. He also loves the Thinkbox, though he has had scheduling conflicts getting the required training to use some of the equipment.

2 Likes

Last year, a good number of students on CC with extremely high stats were deferred by CWRU and invited to re-apply ED2. I think Case assumed these students were applying to more highly ranked schools like CMU, GA Tech, etc. and were using them as a safety. My guess is that the students who applied ED2 were admitted.

On the plus side, Case appears to grant generous merit awards for highly qualified students.

1 Like

There were many that were deferred and went ED2 that got in - my daughter did that after getting to finally tour in person - others did not get in. The interesting thing with ED2 is they won’t defer them again and they won’t WL them. It’s yes or no. Some chose to go with RD. Many of those then got WL and some eventually were invited as spring admits. No way to guess what will happen. Simply have to put best foot forward and do what is right for any given person - that’s what the school is doing.

I’m worried about this for my daughter. Case is very high on her list, but she does not want to ED anywhere. I’m hoping she’s shown enough interest via a campus visit, in person session in the city near where we live, interview, and several online sessions that they can see she is seriously considering the school.

4 Likes

I have no idea if this is true but I was talking to someone whose child just got in ed1 with a “lower than expected” scholarship. She indicated that her general impression is that merit awards were lower this year. If this is accurate, it would be nice to know before applying ed2.

3 Likes

If a student is applying ED they lose all bargaining power for merit aid since they are committing to come if accepted. If a strong candidate is accepted EA, they may still go elsewhere and Case needs to sweeten the pot.

6 Likes

Actually we expected nothing from CWRU. No merit or financial aid. My husband works at UM and we get tuition remission. We pay tuition wherever and we get back tuition up to the amount of UM tuition. Then we pay taxes. CWRU saw all those numbers in the forms they had. We qualify for zero financial aid. Even though ED2 at the end my daughter last year received merit monies that allowed the tuition in the end for us to simply be the taxes we pay on the monies given back to us from UM. We know that they made it very worthwhile for many last year ED/EA/ED2/RD/WL it didn’t matter. I don’t think for merit scholarships anyone can put in their head an amount coming from CWRU. Financial aid yes. Merit nope.

Some schools - for example Rollins if you meet certain academic markers and are accepted you know what you are going to get. It’s a published figure. This isn’t one of the schools that does that.

1 Like

We are in MI, and the merit awards from two universities - CWRU and Rose Hulman - brought the cost of the schools in-line with UofM.

3 Likes

Glad to hear your son is having a good experience thus far! What you’re reporting confirms my D23’s sense of the school. I do hope she gets an answer on Wednesday- we’re not in a position to do ED2 because we need to weigh merit offers, but I think Case could be a great fit for my daughter. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

thermom, Good luck to your daughter. My son had CWRU on his list because it checked all the boxes for size, programs, distance from home, quality, etc., but it was initially just filler. After visiting campus that changed and it rose rapidly up the list. He went with Case over better known schools because of fit, and he chose wisely.

3 Likes

JackH2021, I remember seeing you in various decision threads for the last admissions cycle. I think our students applied to similar schools and it’s nice to see that they both chose Case. My student is happy with the choice and I’m convinced that it was the right decision. Case was chosen over RHIT (unbalanced gender ratio), RIT, University of Rochester (low merit aid), Lehigh (party school), WPI (mental health support), Northeastern (too crowded), Pitt (too many students from high school), Brandeis (too religious), and some others. I think Case is nerdy without being cutthroat. The students are academically serious. I spent time in an RHIT parent group and became convinced that it wasn’t the right fit for my perfectionist kid. CMU is local to us but I think it may have been too intense and my kid turned down the “preferred” waitlist option for SCS. (I’m guessing that wouldn’t have panned out either way though, based on the odds!)

A note for prospective families: My student almost didn’t apply to CWRU because we heard they were not generous in accepting transfer credit. CWRU accepted 24 credits and an additional 3 credits will be unlocked when my kid takes a 300 level English class. CWRU didn’t accept 6 college classes (18 credits) because the classes were either taught in a high school building or the credits were used to fulfill high school graduation requirements. I believe other schools (IIT, RIT, WPI, and Northeastern) would have accepted more credits; this is based on the opinion of parents of students in those schools and on informal or formal transcript reads from school staff. This can be tricky because most schools will not formally tell you what credits they will accept until you enroll.

CWRU will not accept credits from college classes taken in a high school building, taught by a high school teacher. The other important point is that any credits earned (even if classes were physically taken at a college with a college professor and college students) must not have been used to satisfy high school graduation requirements. So, if a student takes Calculus 2 at a community college and those credits were used to fulfill a math requirement for high school graduation, CWRU will not accept those credits. I believe there was a temporary exception to accept credits for online classes during COVID lockdown and that online classes will no longer be accepted. Verify current policy with CWRU. This was an important consideration for us, so I hope this helps someone!

8 Likes

Wow. Am I understanding correctly that they won’t take any AP’s, SUPA (Syracuse University) and CLEP (Spanish) credits because my son took in a high school classroom?

If counting 4’s and up-that’s 12 credits AP
SUPA-7 credits
CLEP-up to 12 credits

Very disappointing and will definitely need to be taken into consideration. Thanks for this info!

1 Like

No, you are misunderstanding. AP/IB credits will be accepted, depending on the score, but for dual enrollment to count the class has to have been taken outside of the high school. They won’t give credit for a class taught in the high school or taken for high school credit.

This isn’t an unusual requirement. Many schools will make the same distinction.

Here is the page on the CWRU website. You will also see that a student needs a 5 in many classes for it to count:

2 Likes

No. APs are a different thing completely. Many universities will not give credit for college classes that a student takes while in high school that counted on the high school transcript for graduation. So college bio that was listed in the HS transcript as a science for graduation has already counted and will not count twice. Some high schools have college level courses taught at the high school. Those too don’t count. AP is different. It depends on your test scores and then it depends on the class so for example my daughter got to skip CWRU comp sci and got actual credit for it straight away for her 5. It worked differently for history though. She was invited to take a special 1 credit history course at CWRU for her first semester. She did. She also loved it. If she got an A in the course she would have the one credit plus they would give her 3 more credits for her AP scores. Other APs won’t come over until you take a 300’level class - so tends to only go for a major. All work differently. If someone chose to take summer classes at let’s say a community college and not have them go on a high school transcript those may be transferred and in many cases CWRU will give that too. In other words l, it depends on the situation but almost everyone we know started CWRU with credits from something.

3 Likes

Thank you @CCName1 and @ArrBee for clarifying. It’s too bad about the college classes he is taking in high school. The teachers have to go through a rigorous training to become qualified to teach those SUPA and CLEP classes and I would argue they are tougher on the students than some college professors because it has been drilled into them to treat the students like college students. My son (who is never late with anything) handed in a paper 1 minute after midnight for an Academic Writing class due to a computer glitch and she docked him a letter grade. They don’t mess around. But sounds like he should get some credit at least.

jeanyo, It’s good to see some Yinzers on CC. The Stillers are breaking my heart this year.

There certainly was a good deal of overlap in the schools to which our students applied. Our son, J, attended RHIT’s summer Catapult STEM program, but as he described it, “Rose would be my top choice, hands down, if it were not in the middle of nowhere, Indiana.” He got into Pitt, and we were pleasantly surprised by the campus which felt manageable for a medium sized state school, but that was one of his safeties. Surprisingly, he got into CMU, but after years listening to me talk about what a grind the Nerd Farm was, he was turned off. At the end of the day, Case was the best fit.

Case accepted J’s AP BC Calc, and his advisor placed him in Calc III. Supposedly, Calc I or Calc II (not sure which) is a bear at Case, so this worked out well. Not sure yet about his AP Chem, or AP Physics. It is my understanding that some engineering programs still want students to take their physical science classes even if the student scored well on the exams because the classes are tailored for their engineering curriculum.

2 Likes

I might have missed it, but want to confirm my understanding…
CWRU EA results will be out tommorow correct?

The issue isn’t the rigor but rather that they are already getting credit. With an AP or IB class it’s the test they are really getting credit for. Some universities will have placement exams for certain courses when you get there - it’s not for credit but could have you skip a requirement so it’s possible the classes can have that impact.

1 Like