CC Forums Migration: Known issues + Status Update

Thanks for the reply. It’s also interesting to note that the deleted posts have the 2011 date rather than today’s. That’s what threw me off. Things that make you go hmm :thinking::wink:

@CC_Mike @CC_Jon

Well…the word forums is no longer in the little hamburger!

So I’m back to doing the other son and dance to get to these forums!

Except…once I’m in a forum, like this…”forums” does appear in the hamburger. WTH?

FORUMS is still a choice on my hamburger (on both macbook pro and ipad).

What if you use the hamburger shortcut (the = sign)…can you see FORUMS then?

So no more deletions of posts allowed? Because that is the way it used to be? How about some other things (like badges) get deleted, too, because CC didn’t used to have them? Are you going to stop allowing edits, also?

1 Like

@CC_Jon, What’s being done to fix the scroll issue? Rolling like an old filmstrip is not working for me.

Update…and now the “forums” are in the hamburger :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

I went to flag a post today for someone calling a long term contributor a “moron” and got the message that it had already been flagged for moderation and deemed to not be in violation of the terms and conditions of the site.

Since when is name calling allowed/tolerated and how does that make CC a welcoming and friendly place?

Moderation needs to be consistent.

2 Likes

+1 on the thrust of this post.

Saying that something has always been done that way so it will continue to be done that way…Honestly that rings a bit hollow when stuff like the scrollbar is just something we have to get used to, you know?

1 Like

Although it would have been better to set some of the stuff similar to the old way when changing to the new platform, and then changing it later if desired. For example, the visibility of stuff in the user profile could have been set to default to like the old site (previous posts, join date, and last visit public, everything else private), with user options or other changes based on user feedback done later.

1 Like

So the goal here is to improve the usefulness of the site. I’m open to the idea that people should be able to delete old posts. We just need to be aware of the consequences. It will make some threads harder to read and people will remove useful content when they decide to leave the site. Since this isn’t something we decided to change, it’s better to stick with the way things were.

Stuff like badges and the scrollbar are features we believe are better for the site. These are features that make the site more engaging for students, who are the primary beneficiaries of the site. I have no problem discussing how these features might be improved. And I’m happy to revisit the decision to allow deletions if that’s something y’all think would be a good addition to the site. (I assumed that most people would rather prevent deletions, which is why I changed the setting. Did I assume incorrectly?)

This requires a bit of developer work. At the moment, they are focused on fixing performance problems. (Some good news coming on that front!) In anticipation of being able to change the profile display, I asked this question. The poll results strongly suggest removing “read time”, “days visited”, “posts read” and “topics read”. (Maybe more too. There isn’t a clear line.)

I don’t want to minimize your frustrations. But I do want to be transparent about what we can and can’t do. For the most part, the new platform gives us substantially more flexibility. We’ve accomplished more in January than we could all of last year. But the cost is we are learning about the new platform too. We only figured out yesterday how to disable deletions. So some things will be easy to adjust and others just won’t be.

I did see a post flagged because someone called another user a moron. That post has been deleted and the user who posted it was warned by a moderator. So name calling was not allowed in this case.

I’m pretty sure the message you saw was:

Thanks, but we’ve already reviewed that post and determined it does not need to be flagged again.

This is an automated message and it’s a bit confusing. I think what happened is the moderator had deleted the post just before you submitted the flag. It doesn’t mean the post was ok, but rather that action had already been taken on it. I think we can make the message more clear, if that’s really what happened.

Could you check if the post is still on the site? If it is, I might have misdiagnosed the problem.

That wasn’t the message that I received and the post was there for a good long time after I tried to flag it. This afternoon when I went back to that thread, it was finally gone along with that whole side discussion which had nothing to do with the OP (and I thanked skieurope).

Thank you for the clarification that name calling is still not allowed!

Alright. If you happen to see the message again, could you get a screenshot for me? We shouldn’t be sending misleading messages about moderation.

I flagged the same post an hour after @momofboiler1 got the “it wasn’t in violation of the TOS” response. I got the “thanks for letting us know…we agree…we’re looking into it” auto response.

If you click your avatar you should be able to get a screenshot of the message you were sent.

Where would I find that? I don’t see it?

@austinmshauri is talking about a message the system sends to your inbox. But I wonder if it was something that showed up in a popup when you flagged? If so, it wasn’t saved.

Thanks for the clarification Jon. And it was the popup that happened when I tried to flag.

That was my fault which we can take offline if needed. As noted, it’s rectified now, and I see no need to belabor the point on the thread.

3 Likes

I guess thank you for importing old PMs. But the list of them by “conversation number” really is useless. I was looking for something very specific last night and I could easily have found it with the subject of the PM. Any chance those will be restored?

I would also like the function to delete conversations. I don’t need all of this useless stuff, and won’t ever use it. I had gotten into the habit of deleting PMs that I didn’t need anymore sort of like old emails. I’d like that function returned.

@CC_Jon @CC_Mike

3 Likes