Chance a VT Class of 2014 hopeful?

<p>Virginia Tech is number one on my list at the moment... might be a bit of a reach... but... hey... reaches may be attainable...</p>

<ul>
<li>From North Jersey, live in a predominantly white suburb/go to a predominantly white school of about 900 or 1000 kids.</li>
<li>Unweighted GPA (Frosh-Jr.): 3.16-3.2 (Not sure of the exact number because I WASN'T SENT MY REPORT CARD. It "got lost in the mail" apparently. But I know my cumulative from freshman and sophomore year was a 3.055, and that I had a 3.4 or 3.4-something this past junior year... which is where I get this estimation from)</li>
<li>SAT: 690 CR, 610 M, 710 W (1300/2010) [will take again in September, along with the ACT if it'll help my chances]</li>
<li>School doesn't rank...</li>
<li>Class Council (2 years) [Representative]</li>
<li>Student Council (2 years) [President]</li>
<li>ERASE Club (End Racism and Sexism Everywhere) [Vice President]</li>
</ul>

<p>Some lesser things...
- Employment at CVS/Pharmacy - Customer Service
- Writer for the school newspaper (2 years)
- Key Club Member (3 years)
- Basketball (2 years)
- Football (1 year)
- URM (African-American)
- Volunteer at Church (Not THAT many hours...)</p>

<p>VT Majors of Interest: Industrial Engineering, Marketing & Operations Management.</p>

<p>I'm willing to go in taking university studies... and if I got great grades I'd be able to apply to the engineering school sophomore year, correct? I've heard of some kids doing that, no? Or if industrial engineering really doesn't seem like a possibility for me, I'd be more than willing to major in either operations management or marketing - two things I'm almost as, if not, just as, interested in.</p>

<p>And also, I have a nice piece of information for you. My school started using this college help website called Naviance my sophomore year, and it has our school's college acceptance history from the past two graduating classes (08 & 09). I checked out my school's acceptance history for VT and here's the information. </p>

<p>Avg GPA of Accepted - 3.62
1600 SAT - 1235
Single Sitting 2400 SAT - 1800
Combined (From All Sittings) 2400 SAT - 1825
School's Acceptance History from the Past 2 Years - 5 out of 5/100% (Meaning 5 apps., 5 acceptances)</p>

<p>The scattergram only had four of the five applicants plotted for some reason, but here is the GPA and the SAT of those four...</p>

<p>[#) Weighted GPA, SAT out of 1600/SAT out of 2400]</p>

<p>Here you go...</p>

<h1>1) 4.1 , either 1370 or 1380/2000</h1>

<h1>2) 3.6/3.7 (hard to tell the absolute PRECISE # on a scattergram with no individual labels, but I'm pretty damn close so just trust me. lol), what appears to be a 1350 or 1360/1880,</h1>

<h1>3) 3.4-something, 1230/1820</h1>

<h1>4) 3.0, 1000/(1590 or 1600)</h1>

<p>Being as that only two of these people actually enrolled (don't know whom they are or which two) and because I only know that one (which I think was the person with the 4.1) is in VT's engineering program, I don't know how that would play out for me if I applied to their engineering program. And I know that no one from my school is there on an athletic scholarship... Only 2 of them actually ENROLLED though. I don't know how #4 got in and I'm not 100% sure on what programs any of these people applied & got into. </p>

<p>I know, this is a bit jumbled, a bit sloppy... but hope you can give me a decent 'chancing' from this. And also, if you think I may have even the slightest chance of getting into their engineering program first year (lol), then may I add, I'm also willing to apply ED.</p>

<p>You’re very probably not going to get into engineering with that GPA. The process of transferring into engineering is difficult and often leaves you at VT for 5 years. Not sure about the other majors.</p>

<p>You could consider writing/emailing the admissions office and asking what their GPA cut-off is for your particular school. My son did that and found out that he missed the cutoff byjustthatmuch. He made it in off the waitlist into University Studies after all.</p>

<p>I agree with Chuy - highly unlikely that you’ll make it into Engineering with that GPA. VT is extremely numbers driven. Your SAT looks okay, but your math probably should be 650 or higher.</p>

<p>I’m from Jersey too, but central Jersey. I’ll be attending Tech in the fall (actually, in a couple of weeks).</p>

<p>As the others have said, you probably won’t be admitted to engineering, and transferring is difficult (but not impossible, if you really make the 100% effort), from what I’ve heard. At this point, try to increase your SAT scores (especially math).</p>

<p>So would you guys say I have a better chance if I were to do the following…</p>

<p>1) NOT apply ED so I can send them official grades from my first semester.</p>

<p>2) Apply as an operations management major, or university studies for the first year even…</p>

<p>3) Make sure the rest of my application is immaculate.</p>

<p>I’ll take a stab at this and choose option #2 University Studies (and #3). I’m not sure what the “requirements” are for an incoming operations management major - it seems to be a rather specific major and I wonder if you don’t have to first go in as a general business major and later specialize. I do think your GPA will be a stumbling block, especially from out of state. We were told at this summer’s orientation that the average GPA of accepted students this year was 3.9. Don’t panic though, that doesn’t mean that’s the average GPA of “attending” students - son#2 was accepted off the waitlist this past spring with a GPA of 3.2 (we are NJ also). Good luck though.</p>