Chance at Cornell

My dream school is Cornell University but I wanted some advice on my chances. I have a 1340 SAT, an unweighted GPA of 95 and a weighted GPA of 101. My essay is about how I have physical scars and invisible ones, and how they all (especially my father’s death) made me stronger. I’m in four honor society’s, and am the president of one, as well as part of the interact club and will be getting a leadership position there too (I was treasurer last year). I received the AP capstone diploma and I am an AP scholar with distinction. Please let me know if you want to know anything else! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What type of HS classes have you taken, are you in the top 10% of your class? Does your HS regularly send kids to Cornell? Do you have any “hooks” - meaning are you a legacy, child of a donor or a recruitable athlete? For unhooked applicants, Cornell is a high reach so your chances aren’t great. I would suggest applying test optional to Cornell as your SAT score is low for them. Give Cornell a shot but make sure you have plenty of safety and match schools in case Cornell doesn’t come through. Unfortunately, schools like Cornell have to turn aways tons of wonderful students like yourself every year since they just can’t take them all.

4 Likes

What major? Some of the colleges at Cornell are test blind, which would be a benefit for you.

2 Likes

I’ve taken 6 APS, and I got a 5 on AP Psych, 5 on AP Lang, 4 on AP Research, 4 on AP Seminar, 4 on AP World, and a 3 on AP Us History (the teacher was horrible :-1:). I also took 8 honors classes, and 4 dual enrollment classes. My school doesn’t do class rank, but if I had to guess I think I would be. Unfortunately I have no hooks :confused:. 23 students from my school have been accepted since 2008.

1 Like

I’m thinking veterinarian school (I forgot to mention I’m from New York) and SUNY has a program through that. I’m also leaning a bit towards English, maybe as a minor, since I do so well in it. Do you know which colleges are test blind? That might help me decide :joy:

CALS, where pre-vet is housed, is test blind. CAS, if you opt to major in English, is test optional.

3 Likes

Ok, thank you! Based on my extracurriculars and such does it seem like I have shot? I also have volunteered 30+ hours doing a bunch of different events and have work experience as a dog watcher.

1 Like

Your grades and ECs seem in the ball park but obviously Cornell is a reach for all applicants. Be sure that you have match and safeties that you love too!

4 Likes

Thank you so much! :smile:

In many cases the universities that are the strongest ranked overall and the universities that are strongest for DVM programs are not the same. Cornell of course is the most obvious exception – it is excellent overall and has a superb DVM program. To me it looks like it is a reach for you, but worth the application. However, if Cornell does not work out, there should be lots of other universities that would be very good choices for you.

Perhaps issue number 1 is making sure that you have a solid safety or two. There are many universities that are very good for pre-vet students. Some of the SUNY’s would be worth considering. Both UVM and UNH have very good CREAM programs (I am guessing that both would be safeties for admissions with your stats – the budget is another issue). You might want to look at these and see whether any of the SUNY’s have anything similar.

For someone who is seriously considering going on for a DVM, budget might be the other number 1 issue (perhaps in a tie for number 1 with having a safety). Veterinary school is expensive. You would be best off to avoid debt for your bachelor’s degree if you can. Even better would be saving some $$$$ in a college fund for later.

Do you have experience with both large and small animals? This will eventually be helpful (not so much for initial acceptance to an undergraduate program). Dog walking is a start of course. Dealing with people is also helpful for a potential veterinarian. Each animal generally comes with a human.

I am very sorry to hear about your father’s death. I am a father (as you might guess from my identifier) and came way closer than I would have wanted to doing the same. I feel blessed every day to still be here and still be able to help my wife and daughters.

This strength is likely to be helpful for a student who wants to get a DVM. It is a long path that requires determination. It is however the right path for some students (including one of my daughters).

2 Likes

Just wanted to update :slight_smile: I applied early decision for Cornell under the CALS school since it’s test blind and I think I’m gonna go eventually get into occupational therapy (I know it’s not offered there I’m still figuring it out LOL). Now we just wait! I already got a decision back from LIU and got in (YAAAAAY) and a really good scholarship so I always have that to fall back on (but I hope I don’t have to LOOOOL). Thank you for all the help everyone :smiling_face::smiling_face::smiling_face:

4 Likes

Good luck!!! :grin:

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.