Chance at UW thus far?

<p>GPA Unweighted: 3.6
12 AP: (World History, Biology, US History, Government/Comparative Politics, Physics 1, Chemistry, Statistics, Psychology, English Lang, Macroeconomics/Microeconomics)
3 Years Spanish
ACT 29
Father, 4 Aunts, and both Grandparents Alum
3 Years Tennis
2 Years Basketball
NHS Member, Model United Nations Member, Amnesty International Member
Camp Counselor in the Summer/ a few hundred volunteer hours </p>

<p>*Note: My junior year was really difficult. I had 5 of those AP's in that year and my unweighted GPA was 3.35 so if that may have an effect let me know. Thanks! </p>

<p>In state?</p>

<p>Hopefully you got mostly 5’s on those AP exams. You are expected to do well in the most rigorous curriculum at your HS. </p>

<p>@madison85 out of state @wis Mostly 4’s however, I forgot to mention that I’m in a special academy of high caliber classes. The AP classes here are taught very differently to the AP’s anywhere else, similar to a school like IMSA. </p>

<p>UW doesn’t look at ap scores when accepting students, at least they didn’t for me cause I never sent it in. I don’t know the difference between difficulty for instate vs out of state, but your stats are about the same as mine (3.65 uw, 28 act, however you have double the ap classes that I had) and I just recently got accepted in, however I am in state. Plus the fact you have so many alumina in your family should really help too. I think you have a decent chance. </p>

<p>It doesn’t matter how highly your school is supposedly ranked. Students at ordinary WI public schools can learn as much and get 5s on AP exams. I stated you hopefully did well on the AP exams because you did not ace many of the AP classes to get that gpa. Admissions may not count AP exams but in a really tough HS grading system you might have gotten 5’s despite getting B’s from your school, apparently not the case. </p>

<p>Students are not penalized for going to regular HS’s instead of supposedly better schools. Your situation proves that students can get just as high a quality education at the typical public school in WI and hence deserve no breaks for lesser grades. Not familiar with the place you mention (and it doesn’t matter). Your school likely taught AP courses such that getting A’s would prepare you for getting 5’s on the AP exam, just as my son’s public WI HS did (and unlike someone I know who is equally intelligent, studied hard and got an A in an AP course but a 3 on its exam- a clear example of a HS not teaching the AP material well).</p>

<p>@heyoimsam gotcha, the only thing I’m worried about is that junior year. I bit more than I could chew and my gpa suffered from it. Was yours consistent through highschool or have any similar spike? @wis75 the reason I bring my school up is because kids who have been accepted into Madison before have had around 3.5 gpa’s in the past and did not 5 every test. You also have to test to get into my school. We are located in northern Illinois. </p>

<p>Mine was more of an upward trend, my lowest being a 3.5 freshman year and my highest being last year with a 3.9. Personally I think you should be fine, mainly because of how rigorous your schedule last year was. At worst I can see you being postponed and then later admitted. Best of luck!</p>

<p>Also, does your class rank? With that many AP classes your class rank could be quite high. That could also be helpful in your admissions process. </p>

<p>@heyoimsam gotcha, and yeah I haven’t seen my updated rank yet but I know I’m between top 9%-12% </p>

<p>I believe what wis75 is saying is that Madison admissions (or I believe any other) won’t select one applicant over another due to the HS they each attended. That would give disproportionate advantages to applicants who have the financial ability to attend a private school. Also over others who don’t even have the option (not one geographically close) to attend a “special” HS.</p>