Chance DD for UT, Tulane, UNC [TX resident, top 15%, 3.94, < $40k, pre-med]

Please move on from the conversation about schools with the UT abbreviation.

1 Like

UT is a reach, but CAP is very possible - we’ve known multiple students in TX recently with similar stats who were Capped. Would she consider a year at UTSA or UTA before transferring to Austin? Tulane is a high match/low reach in ED, a very high reach in RD, but probably won’t get to 40k. UNC is a high reach for unhooked OOS as others have said.

What about Baylor? Excellent for pre-med, low match/likely for admission. These stats would get merit that might bring it down to the 40k ballpark, though it’s not a certainty. You would also have lots of opportunities at other state flagships that give merit - most would cost less than 40k (sometimes much less) with these stats. Kansas, Mizzou, Arkansas, New Mexico, Ole Miss, Miss. St., West Virginia, etc.

3 Likes

Will add Baylor to the list. She is also considering BSMD programs and hoping the clinical hours will make her stand out in the application process.

She is also doing ED for Tulane and the NPC comes out under 40K. We visited the colleges and she loved the campus. When you do NPC(net price) and FAFSA , do you account for unsold stocks the parents own.

1 Like

All stocks are unsold if you own them. On fafsa and css yea you’ll report all assets and yes that will impact your aid.

You need to run the NPC on each college because each colleges calculates differently.

Baylor: look carefully at the mission and core curriculum. For some students it’s exactly what they want but for others it’s a deal breaker.

Top 15% automatically makes UT a big reach.
If the NPC at Tulane is under 40K (and you accounted for stocks, investments, etc.) then apply ED as it’s her best bet. Still a reach due to acceptance rates.

Hendrix is very supportive for premeds, excellent academically, and has a tuition advantage program (whereby your child would only pay the equivalent of UT tuition to attend).
https://www.hendrix.edu/tuitionadvantage/

Does your daughter prefer staying in the Southwest?

1 Like

Unfortunately BS/MD programs are even more competitive for admission, and many premed students have clinical hours these days.

1 Like

I have a family member in an MD-PhD program. These programs are extremely, extremely competitive for admission. As noted, many premeds have clinical hours.

She already has 350hrs of clinical hrs at high school and hoping that will help.

It is a very fine thing but unlikely to make a difference in admission. The equivalent of a summer spent in a common activity.

Unfortunately, it won’t.

I just looked at my family member’s LinkedIn (which isn’t even compete) and saw all kinds of impressive undergrad (college) awards, research positions, publications, etc. There was no mention of HS or college clinical hours, which most will have regardless.

As I mentioned, these programs are very competitive.

Are you looking for others under $40k - you have Mccullogh Medical at Alabama where your student would be at $20k. Arizona at $25k.

There’s many big schools at budget. Or does the student want smaller with many great choices already noted by others.

With these stats - lots come under budget in many sizes.

Edit - if you ram Tulane’s NPC but didn’t report all assets, it will not be as low as you think.

https://mccolloughscholars.as.ua.edu/

1 Like

Actually, Tulane is pretty likely in the ED round – the ED admit rate was 67.9% for '22-'23. But it’s true, it might not be affordable.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t go as far as “likely,” since it’s a high-achieving pool and many will be above top 15% in their class. But I wouldn’t argue with characterizing it as a match for ED.

2 Likes

I know a kid in at Vandy, rejected there. It’s a crapshoot.

If the student loves it and hits price, ED and write all the essays.

But make sure you truly understand the financial aspects. If you own stock, yes it will count against you. So will your home.

If applicant is successful with Tulane ED and it is affordable then BS/MD applications will be eliminated as possibilities (understanding that such programs are hyper-competitive in terms of admissions). Is that OK?

1 Like

I apologize. My family member is not in a BS/MD program. She is in an MD-PhD program. BS/MD is also very, very competitive, but that is not what my family member is doing.

That’s what happens when you are involved in multiple discussions!

1 Like

College admission is looking more like tax filing for the middle class. The rich has ways and means to afford any college they want. The low income has their stories to talk about and genuine and I am all for it. But the average middle class kid from a stable family following a normal life has no access to top colleges. You all make it look like the only safety school for a hard working middle class family is community college. All the good ones (top 50) are out of reach.

2 Likes

Who said that ( you can’t get it afford a good school) ? That’s an assumption on your behalf.

Each college is different. They choose how they want ?

Earlier you said Tulane NPC was $40k but then asked if you have to report stock. Right or wrong, I figured when you did the NPC, you didn’t include.

There’s are tons of great schools at various budgets.

I was full pay - but set an internal budget if $50k. My kids applied to schools that would 100% make budget (UF, u of SC, Miami Ohio), some like W&L, UMD, Colorado, Miami Fl, or Pitt that could, and did not apply to any that couldn’t (schools that didn’t offer merit). Tulane - we’d toured but she didn’t like so never applied. Had we applied we’d have assumed it’s be beyond budget but it’s have been worth the app. For her that was Rice, W&L, Emory, Miami, W&M, UNC etc. . If got in, like my daughter did W&L, UMD, and Pitt - no $, no go. So we didn’t give them final consideration. OOS publics support their citizens with need aid. But some buy in kids like yours with merit and they become affordable. And they may not be as good or may be better than your list. They may just not be on the first page of the US News listing which is simply a revenue generator for us News btw.

Btw - why is top 50 top 50? because a magazine says. That’s it.

You think the kid at Tulane or UT has a better chance at med school than at schools that may be in budget - like CNU or Texas Tech ?

Only if they have a better gpa, mcat and other criteria. Look, not med, but Harvard Law - 174 schools represented in the class - some schools not on anyone’s list like Bloomsburg or Cal State LA.

But some schools are expensive and don’t support through merit. The reality of life is you need to afford or in my case - want to afford which I didn’t.

Some can’t afford and shouldn’t try so they don’t strangle themselves financially.

No one suggested you to go a cc.

The unc, even if you got in OOS, will be unaffordable unless you have demonstrated need. They and UVA are the only publics two in the country who do.

There are many middle class squeezed out of many - that’s true. And wealthy who don’t see the value of exorbitant costs with no guarantees. My son actually chose a safety. While I disagreed as he got into a near elite engineering school, his 5 offers and high salary proved me wrong I spent $65k or $70k over four years OOS because like yours, certain schools threw money at him.

But go to any large state school - you’ll find kids who turned down Ivy, Northwestern, Rice. It may be cost, location or whatever. My daughters best friend - pre med at Charleston - turned down Rice, Vandy, Penn to go there due to cost. He could afford those but his parents, one a dr, didn’t want to spend. Like me.

But don’t conflate two things - your student is in the 15th percentile so by not being top 6%, UT is not even a target. And 74% of UNC class is top 10%. And for OOS it’s a tough get. And they limit the # of admits from OOS unlike the southern schools which pay for kids like yours.

This is why so many gave alternative to you which you seem to find offensive.

Because you mentioned Tulane at $40k, I assume that was in budget and there are tons of great publics and privates that can get you there on merit.

But I simply was pointing out that you may have come to that figure incorrectly because you asked if unsold stock matters. I’m assuming, maybe incorrectly, you didn’t include in the NPC.

Please don’t put words or ideas in other’s mouths. I could find you 50 great schools at $40k and top 50 is mostly meaningless btw. Can you say that UGA (top 50 us news or UF top 30) is better than UMD or Colorado or Alabama or Nebraska or Auburn and sub in most any school? It’s preposterous. To say only the top 50 is good is ludicrous. If you mean us News, where do you rank Amherst, Williams, Davidson etc.

And different schools have different strengths in different majors. I can show you a U.S. news ranking led by Arizona State, Michigan State and UTK. 4th - MIT.

You need to find the right school. The right fit and finances are a part of fit.

No one, certainly not me, suggested that school doesn’t exist.

Thanks

4 Likes

“350 clinical hours” doing what? As a high school student. Is this shadowing or what?

Your daughter can fulfill the required course for medical school applicants at just about every four year college in this country (arts conservatories excluded).

I agree with @twogirls . Choose two affordable instate options where she WILL get accepted (UT-Austin is not one of these).

Then I would suggest you look at University of New Mexico, and Arizona. Both are great schools and will likely be affordable with guaranteed merit aid. And they both are fine for someone with a premed intention.

3 Likes