Chance DD for UT, Tulane, UNC [TX resident, top 15%, 3.94, < $40k, pre-med]

Chance DD for UT , Tulane and UNC……Please match her for other schools!

We are in Texas

[3.94 UW GPA, 1460(1510 super score)
14 AP all 4 and 5
top 15%,
Robotics Coach ,
Merit scholar commended,
CNA Certified,
PCT Certified,
350 clinical hrs,
Teen Volunteer,
Internship at UTSW

Pre-med path
Budget 40k

Do you have a budget? Are you OOS for UNC and UT?

Reach for all 3 unless UNC is in state. Tulane - you never know based on interest shown, ED, etc.

Once we have budget, lots of alternatives and for pre med, if med school is truly in play, the where will matter less.

1 Like

Even instate UNC can be a reach, depending on where you live. If you are from an underrepresented part of the state, it could be a match.

You should start with a budget, imo.

1 Like

–UT should be considered a reach since student is not an auto-admit.
–UNC OOS is a reach and may not be affordable.
–Tulane is hard to know since demonstrated interest is a factor and may not be in budget.

I would focus on finding colleges that are in budget and match/safeties first and then you can throw in a couple of reach schools into the mix.

7 Likes

If UNC, Tulane, and UT are the current favorites, then some other schools your family may want to look into include:

Rhodes: About 2k undergrads in Memphis. Strong school, especially with pre-med, and has lots of related shadowing and research opportunities.

If you’re open to other smaller schools then I’d consider Furman and Wofford (both in SC) as well as Millsaps (in MS).

Getting bigger, I’d consider:

• U. of Richmond (VA): About 3200 undergrads
  • Samford (AL): About 3600 undergrads
  • Christopher Newport (VA): About 4500 undergrads
  • Wake Forest (NC): About 5500 undergrads
  • Elon (NC): About 6300 undergrads
  • Emory (GA): About 7100 undergrads
  • U. of Tampa (FL): About 9800 undergrads
  • U. of Miami (FL): About 12k undergrads
  • U. of Mississippi (Ole Miss): About 16k undergrads
  • U. of South Carolina: About 27k undergrads

Make sure you run the Net Price Calculators, as some of the schools (like Richmond, Wake Forest, Emory) are extremely unlikely to get your budget point if you don’t qualify for financial aid.

2 Likes

delete

Based partly on your daughter’s current schools of interest, she might like the University of Richmond.

1 Like

Thanks . I will definitely let her know this list.

I think a lot depends on your finances. Do you have need or are you full pay ?

Because if you’re full pay, the odds of getting Miami, Wake, Richmond to $40k are slim to none.

Tulane similar.

And Unc - no chance.

So need to better understand the finances, not just budget.

Have you filled out NPCs ?

I recommend that your daughter select two instate schools that would be considered safeties for her. They need to be on the list.

Schools like UNC, Tulane, Emory, Wake Forest, etc are not only reaches (Tulane is unpredictable, as is Wake) but they will not be affordable unless the NPC shows $40,000. There is nothing wrong with applying if the NPC shows an affordable cost (just know they are reaches).

Try the NPC for Richmond. If it is not within budget I would remove it.

I would definitely add the U of Tampa and I would do some research on the other schools that have been mentioned.

The first step is a budget. Build from there, starting with safeties and targets.

2 Likes

UNC has a limit of admitting 18% of its incoming freshman class for OOS students. (See UNC Policy Manual section 700.1.3). With heightened admit rates for children of alumni, admission becomes a hard row to hoe for OOS applicants who do not have a parent who attended Carolina.

Rhodes College in Memphis, TN might be an option; when my daughter applied there a few years back, she received a nice merit financial package. Rhodes has a very good academic reputation (I know several people who have gone on to medical school from there), and a good number of Texans wind up there – I presume as casualties of the automatic admits to UT and TAMU.

As you are from Texas, there are some good universities where you could probably keep your annual budget under $40K; and if your daughter gets into an honors program at a public university, then she will have some great opportunities put in her path.

3 Likes

Pardon my ignorance but is UT U of Texas or U of Tennessee? I first thought Tennessee because I am in NC and it’s the one we hear more about but then your post says you are in Texas so I thought maybe Texas. But if Texas wouldn’t you know your chances based on your class rank?

It’s a reach, but possible for UNC Chapel Hill. As Gandalf says there’s a strict limit on the number of OOS students. If you are a legacy that may help.

Tulane is a school where ED is required these days - they only admitted a handful of students in RD this year. If it is the number one choice, and affordable, you may want to consider ED. I think you said your budget is $40k - if that is the case, you need to run the NPC’s at all schools you are interested in and eliminate those where aid (whether merit or need-based) can’t get you to that number. The list price for most private schools is north of $60k these days (and for selective ones it is $80k+) and most OOS publics only give need-based aid to in-state students (although quite. a few do give merit to OOS students which brings the cost in-line with what in-state students pay).

At that price range she might attend UTSA under the CAP program for a year then auto transfer to UT.

1 Like

I was just about to post – look at other Texas publics as solid admissions safeties, or near-safeties:

• UTSA (as you mentioned)
  • UT Dallas
  • Texas A&M
  • Texas Tech
  • U of North Texas

etc.

3 Likes

Well, the real UT is the one in Knoxville (where I live)! :grinning: But to avoid confusion on this site I refer to it as UTK.

2 Likes

actually even in Nashville we call it UTK. When I hear UT, it’s Texas.

But it makes sense if you’re 10 minutes away.

The whole city bleeds Orange…the better Orange I suppose :slight_smile:

How about Trinity University? Or Southwestern? I think you could get both to 40K with her stats.

1 Like

That must have changed in the last ten years or so. When I lived in Nashvegas, everyone I knew referred to it as UT. Or just “The Vawls”. hehe

Also, while there I bought an authentic orange tennessee football jersey. It will suffice to keep me visible to all while hunting, and possibly visible from space on clear days. lol – that thing is shiny.

2 Likes