Chance for Computer Engineering?

This is for my DB.

• Class-rank: The school doesn't rank, but the AIS portal says "First Quarter"
  • SAT score: 1330/1600 (660 ER, 670 Math)
  • is an IB Diploma candidate
  • Attends a very competitive high school with only 98 students in his senior class
  • In-state resident
  • Took the most challenging courses the school offered
  • GPA: 3.72 weighted
  • Sent a 5 page expanded resume with many leaderships, awards, honors, and an engineering internship
  • Sent all 3 essays
  • Sent 2 recommendation letters (one from college counselor and one from 11th grade AP English teacher)

He’s currently trying to study computer engineering. He’s already got accepted into UT Dallas, but he really wishes to study at TAMU.

bump

Didn’t you already get in?

@RMNiMiTz This is for my DB (dear brother).

@Shadowsych

tbh he is on the borderline (his stats are a match, but that SAT Math is really hurting).

Sending a 5 page resume is not the ideal - if he is still applying to other schools, have him pare it down to no more than 2 pages (that is all most people will bother to read). He has a chance, the engineering internship will be a plus along with other activities showing he’s well rounded. Given an IB diploma, he should have the appropriate course work. IF he’d like to better his chances, he can retake the ACT at TAMU without waiting for a test date. This may sound crazy to many people, but computer programming & english are shockingly similar subjects- that may be a unique but good choice for his recommendation provided it focused on the correct skill sets.

Thanks for all of the information! @RMNiMiTz I was hoping if you clarify how “borderline” my DB is in? Is he borderline accepted or borderline rejected?

i dont think hes borderline at all. i’ve known plenty of people get in with lower stats. id say hes just above average

He is only 30 points from Academic Admit. I think he has a good chance at admission.