Chance Me / Application Discussion - Virginia Tech Class of 2024

Computer science is in engineering department and may be a little hard for you to get in. If you like computer science angle BIT in the pamplin college of business may suite you.

Hi! I am a rising senior from northern Virginia. None of my family has attended VTech in the past. I also hispanic. I will be most likely applying to the Pamplin College of Business as a BIT major. I would also like to know what you would think my chance of getting into the honors college is.

SAT - 1380 with a 740 in Math and a 640 in English
GPA Weighted - 4.29
Course Rigor (AP/IB etc.)

• 8 AP’s and 1 DE
    Sophomore
  • AP World History (B) 3 on AP exam
    Junior
  • AP Calc AB (B+) 5 on AP exam
  • AP Psychology (B+) 5 on AP exam
  • AP Lang (A)
    Senior
  • AP Stats
  • AP Calc BC
  • AP Spanish
  • AP Gov
    -DE English
    Extracurricular activities
  • National Honor Society
  • Future Business Leaders of America
  • President of the Spanish National Honor Society
  • Frequent volunteer at a local outreach program
  • Work part time (20 hours/week)

I think your in good shape. Focus on good essays answering completely and apply early decision or early action. Get feedback from friends/family on your essays before submitting making sure all parts of the VT question are answered.
You have a lot of great things going in your favor on your application.

And welcome to the VT board at College confidential.

All they can do is apply. Transfers may be tough this year with overenrollment of freshman.

My friend wants to transfer as a sophomore to VT for the spring semester. Had mostly A’s and some B’s, but then got one F in a non-major related class. GPA is still a 3.4. Do they have a chance for transfer admissions? Is there anything they can do/anyone they can reach out to to increase acceptance chances?
Thanks!

will the one F completely ruin their chances even though their GPA isnt bad?

I’m wondering what my son’s chances are of being admitted. We live in IL so out of state. He is a rising senior and he has an SAT score of 1480 (780 Math and 700 Reading/Writing). His GPA is 3.71 UW and 3.97 W. Class rank is 37/294. He has taken AP Physics, APUSH and AP Environmental Science. His senior year he is registered to take AP Chem, AP Calc BC, AP Computer Science, and AP Stats plus English, PE and a mobile app maker class. Junior year he got all A’s or A-‘s in his courses. He has gotten 1 C Sophomore year in Spanish 3 and all other grades where A’s and B’s. He wants to study mechanical engineering. So just wondering what his chances of being admitted are. Thanks.

I would say he is good for most majors except engineering. The sat is good but gpa is below average. Not impossible but probably less than 50% shot. Focus on good essays and apply early admission if his first choice.

If you look at 2018 data (which is the latest we have) your in about the 25th percentile for College of Liberal Arts. That’s pretty low and 2019 was even more competitive. 50th percentile in 2018 was 1220 SAT and 4.0 GPA …. so that’s the area you really want to be in for good shot.
I assume your a Senior this coming year so your 3.8 GPA is pretty locked in. I would focus on some SAT prep and trying to get that score up over 1200 (that would make a big difference I believe). Also Tech Superscores so if you do better on one subject one time and better on the other 2nd time you can add those best scores together.
Also - other holistic factors are going to matter as well … and you need some to go your way. Strong essays (make sure multiple people proofread and you answer questions fully), are you a minority, 1st time college student in family, strong extra curricular/jobs, legacy. If you have several of these going your way it could boost you.
Also - earlier you apply the better. If VT is your first choice apply early decision (binding). Otherwise apply Early Action (non-binding). DO NOT Apply regular decision.

3.8 weighed
1100 SAT
Education major

What was your final SAT score
My son is interested in VT for class of 2025
Thanks
Appreciated

In case they don’t answer. You may want to read through the current topic thread. http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/virginia-tech/2140628-chance-me-application-discussion-virginia-tech-class-of-2024.html#latest

Hello! I’m a rising senior in a big high school in North Carolina and I was wondering what my chance for receiving admission to Virginia Tech in Fall of 2019 would be. I will probably be applying for University Studies or Business Undecided. I’m not sure if I want to do Early Decision or Early Action, please let me know which one would give me the best chance of admission.
Unweighted GPA: 3.33 (low I know) W GPA: 3.8

EC/Honors: DECA, Work experience at 3 different restaurants, Secretary Officer of ICC, ICC representative of Career Club, NHS, Knights In Action community service program, Intern at Dentist office, Current employee at Marble Slab Ice Cream shop and more.

SAT Score: 1270 as of right now but I’m still waiting on my June score and I’m taking it in August. (Hopefully I can get around a 1350 by August)

My class rank as of late was a 352/760ish (my class is huge). I’ll be top half of my class for sure, wish I did better in high school.

AP Courses: AP Psychology, AP Human Geography, AP English Language, and planning to take AP Macroeconomics and AP Statistics senior year. (I signed up for AP Macro junior year but did not receive it because of how big my class is)

What are my chances of getting into Virginia Tech for University Studies, I visited yesterday and I know it is a holistic application now so they consider other things rather than just grades and test scores. These are the courses I’ll be taking senior year:

AP Statistics
AP Macroeconomics
Honors English IV
Honors American History II
Honors Forensic Sciences
Honors Hospitality and Tourism
Early Release- Fall
Early Release- Spring

Thanks everyone, let me know if you need any more information.

Hi, I’m interested in applying to VT in the College of Sciences with a major in psychology. I’m a rising senior.
My SAT was 1330 (720 English and 610 Math).
My GPA is 4.56 W / 4.0 UW
My class rank is 25/346
I have completed 4AP / 1DE classes and made all As. The rest of my classes are honors.
My senior year, I have 5 AP classes.
I have 100+ volunteer hours at my community library including being a Homework Helper for ESL students last year.
I’m Vice President of the Psychology Club.
Member of NHS, National World Language, Latin Club, Beta, Humanities Club and other school activities.

I’m located in central VA and I’m a female. I’m not a legacy or member of an URM.
I attend a selective speciality center for high school, Center for the Humanities.
I appreciate any advice for applying early decision. Thank you!

Your good. Just have someone proofread your short answer essays on application and be sure to answer in full. Also apply early decision (if your top choice) or early action (non-binding)otherwise. Don’t apply regular admission.

Hey! I’m a rising senior at a Northern VA high school, and Virginia Tech is my number 1 choice as I’m trying to get into the Pamplin School of Business, and I would like to know my chances.

GPA: 3.87 W (Not the best, but I started HS bad freshman year, and my GPA has been rising since)
ACT: 33 (will take again in sept. aiming for 35)
I will finish HS with 8 honors classes, 9 APs, Dual Enrollment, and electives, which include: Intro to Business, Sports Marketing, Project Management, Computer Information Systems, Spanish 3 and German.
Extracurriculars: In school, I am a part of DECA, Model UN, Math Honors Society, Investment Club, Spanish and German Club, and will be joining NHS, Science NHS, and FBLA this year. Outside of school, I have a black belt in TaeKwonDo, playing the piano for 6 years, played and coached basketball, currently working at a restaurant and shadowing as an assistant for a financial business (CPA). I also have accumulated approximately 150 volunteering hours through meal-packing events and coaching.

Welcome to the college confidential vt board.

I would say your on bubble. That’s a good ACT score which helps. Being there is improvement from freshman year that will he’ll to showing growth.

Do you have any holistic advantages like minority, legacy, first time college in family those will help.

Focus on good essays and answering questions fully. Apply early decision if your first choice otherwise early action.

Go do a tour and listen to admission and go in day can do the business department talk as well.

Unfortunately, I have no legacy at Virginia Tech, but I am Asian if that helps in any way. I visited the campus and went on a tour in May and we got to go inside Pamplin on our tour. Is there anything you would recommend I do that may increase my chances, like when I apply, applying undecided?

And sorry to add another question from the previous ones above, but what GPA scale are you using to calculate my chances, because my school district uses an odd scale that’s not common elsewhere. Thanks.