Hokie Chances?

<p>GPA: 4.3
SAT:
M: 540
CR:520
W: 540
Plan to take again in Nov.
Hook: sister attended</p>

<p>I know my SAT is low and it really bothers me because I work my butt off, but I just can't score great on that test
WHAT DO MY CHANCES LOOK LIKE?</p>

<p>Your GPA and class rank are great. You also have legacy. Try the ACT. My son scored better on it.</p>

<p>Tech is very numbers driven, but according to their admissions counselors, they value your overall high school record (strength of curriculum/GPA) a great deal when looking at applications. Some kids just don’t test well unfortunately, but really you aren’t too far off. Just prep for that Nov. test date if you can. Get an SAT book and take a practice test or two just to give you a bit of confidence. Get a good night’s sleep before and eat a power breakfast the morning of. The GC at our school once told me that kids can expect a potential 100 point increase if they work at it a bit from their first test to the second. And as guillaume mentioned, you could also sign up for the ACT if needed. Wishing you all the best in November for the test and beyond!</p>

<p>My son’s GPA & class ranking was almost the exact same as yours. His SAT Math 610, CR 590 (VT doesn’t really use the writing scores yet). He is out of state (some say that helps or others say not as much) & did have a lot of EC’s but he was accepted early decision last December to engineering. I agree with the other 2 posters - study & review before the next SAT & try the ACT - some do a lot better with that. Good luck!</p>