Chance Me / Application Discussion - Virginia Tech Class of 2024

I don’t know that going undecided helps chances. Especially with overacceptances this year in undecided.

I would say you want to be top 15% of your class to not be on bubble. That’s probably better way to look at it.

Most virginia schools are 4.0 based but As in honors get 4.5 and AP 5.0

Thanks for the responses, I found them helpful.

And I want to clarify when I say bubble - you have some good numbers. No one could say your definately in … but that doesn’t mean you don’t have a pretty good shot. When I say bubble I mean on that edge where you can’t confidently predict.

Hopefully Early Decision or Early Action will be enough! Thanks for the input.

Hi, I’m a rising senior who hasn’t picked a major yet but will not apply undecided. I’ll probably apply to either arts & human sciences, sciences (econ), natural resources (geography, env informatics), or agriculture (resource mgmt, food sci). It’s highly unlikely that I would try for the architecture college for env policy. Here are my stats:
OOS (maryland)
1340 SAT (640 math, 70 EBRW)
4.25 W gpa (4.0 unweighted)
Legacy
There’s a good chance I’ll end up in top ten percent of my class
7 APs (world, us, lang, environmental, lit, human geo, studio) 7 honors courses
ECs include vounteering for my church and library (I haven’t counted my hours yet but it’s around 150), german national honors society (vice president), art club, art national honors society, and a few other smaller commitments that only lasted a year. My essays should be pretty good.

I think your pretty much a lock getting in. Maybe the architecture could be a little harder but I think you would even get in there

Hello! I am a rising senior from Virginia and I am in the process of applying to VT, it’s my number one school and I’ve visited many times, I’m looking to major in management.

-3.8 GPA
-1300 SAT
-Applying in state
-3 AP’s and 9 honors classes, and in my senior year I’ll be doing the dual-enrollment program, but I can’t pick those classes until December.

• 4 years varsity lacrosse, multiple international mission trips, lead local service projects, middle school lacrosse coach, basketball, Rho Kappa, student section leader, drumline captain (out of school), and a few different jobs from over the years,

I’m definitely applying early decision, but I am really nervous about my chances of getting in, ED or Regular Decision.

is your 3.8 GPA weighted or unweighted (how does it compare at your school - are you top 15% of class range). If Tech is your #1 choice definately do Early Decision - that should help your odds. Not knowing how your GPA stacks up at your school you could be borderline. Definately have others read over your essays and make sure you answer the questions fully.

I’d like to point out in reference to an earlier comment about GPA weights, not all school systems weight grades the same. For example, my DS’s system in Virginia does not weight honors classes at all and provides very minimal weight to AP classes. For example, an A+, A, and A- in a year long AP course get a weight of .0488 added to the GPA. So weighted grades from some school systems may be inflated compared to other systems within the same state. A person with a 3.8 or 3.9 weighted GPA May have the same grades as someone with a 4.3 or 4.4 from some other school.

Hello! Tech has been my dream school for the past few years and now I have to start applying soon. I am a South Asian Female (Immigrant) coming from a low income family. I am also first gen and live in VA. Some other things are I graduate with an Associates Degree when I finish high school because of this school program. I’m intending to major in Biology.

Sat: 1260 (getting August scores in a week so hopefully it’ll change) 580 R/W (yikes ik) 680 M
GPA Unweighted/Weighted: 3.83/4.34
Class Rank: 26/350-400
Classes: Most of my classes are either Duel Enrollment or AP Classes. Never gotten anything lower than a B-
Extracurricular: Leader of NHS and been in this Bengali-American community for 10+ years performing and being their English Speaker. I’m in Science National Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta, Medical Leaders, Beta, Key Club, Art Club and I work. I have over 150 volunteering hours and volunteer at the Hospital.

Biology is going to be a little harder to get in major I assume next year because of over acceptance this year. But honestly, with a lot of the holistic stuff you have going for you like minority, low income, first gen etc. I honestly think your chances are high (and you have great class rank). Especially if your August score gets over 1300 SAT I think your pretty much a lock (my opinion though there is always that uncertainty).
If VT is your number one school definitely do Early Decision (I really don’t see you not getting accepted if you apply Early Decision and show that commitment to VT). Otherwise Early action (don’t do regular decision). As I have said in other replies - be sure to answer all the essays fully (can be hard as they are short) and get others to proofread and give feedback on before submitting.

Think positive …my ddds…resume was very similar to hours …she is also a bio major…shes class of 2023…she got accepted as early action…vtech was very generous with their financial aid package…so far, she’s overwhelmed but excited…advice, I say try to raise sat scores a little higher because this year’s class was big and so far my dd has met more bio majors then others…also apply early action…that is when scholarships and grants are most rewarded… good luck…i hope you become a hokie!

How does your GPA compare to others in your school - do you know your class rank? Its hard based on a GPA number alone because schools are all so different. Your SAT is good being you hit 1300, your a minority, are you a first time college or do you have a parent/sibling that attended (legacy). All of those type factors contribute.

If your top 15% in your class with the numbers you show I think you have a very good chance. Top 20% of class your ok not outstanding (its going to be a competitive year).

Be sure to answer the essay prompts completely (make sure all the question is answered and have others proofread). Apply early decision if VT is your #1 choice and otherwise Early Action (do not apply regular decision). You can see all of this in the main thread at top titled “chance me 2024”

Please chance me:
GPA: 3.77(W) 3.55 (U/W)
SAT: 1300
Environmental Science
In-State
NOVA-Private School
6 APs
Eagle Scout
100+ hours volunteering
National Honor Society - Treasurer
School Ambassador
Cross-Country/Swimming/Lacrosse (Coach’s Award; MVP)
Model UN
Summer Jobs - Tennis Coach
Thanks!

You have some good stuff but gpa looks a little low to feel confident. How does the gpa relate to rest of your class.? Are you top 10%, 15%, 20% in gpa for your school class.?

Top 15%. Scale goes to 4.2. Applying ED.

The gpa being in top 15% and doing early decision I think your going to be good. You have a lot of good stuff.

I have a few questions about tech if you don’t mind answering them. I know you said bio is a little difficult to get into, so is there any way I can apply to two majors (for example let’s say I get rejected to bio, could i get into another less competitive major like maybe economics or something)? If not, could I just apply to one of there less competitive majors and then switch to bio? I’m not sure if i can cheat the system haha but tech is def my top college. Only reason I can’t do early action is because i’m not sure how much financial aid i can get from tech but i know for the future past recent years they are trying to give more aid to low income students. If i do get into tech I want to try to go in as a sophomore because of my college credits from high school. Thank you for your comment, it gave me a lot of hope!

I don’t know that biology has been restricted in past as far as getting into via change of major https://www.biol.vt.edu/undergraduates/majors/transfers.html

But university studies undecided was also an over acceptance this year. Do you have another area if interest

I wanted to be a dentist and major something close to that since I think there are no dentistry / pre density majors at tech. So other majors might be other sciences. or health profession related. What would the easiest major be to get into haha.