Chance Me / Application Discussion - Virginia Tech Class of 2024

What major. I think your i. Good shape for most except maybe engineering

You say top half of class (what about top 20% ?)

Do you have some holistic things going for you like are you a minority, first time college in family, legacy family, etc. What major?

Of the top of my head just reading what you put I think VT may be a stretch goal. But there are a lot of other factors as I mention above.

The Engineering school would be out of reach. Maybe one of the other departments would be in play. What do you want to study?

I want to possibly study physics and biology.

I think itā€™s top 40%, I know Iā€™m in the '40s. I want to study physics and biology. Iā€™m not part of a minority group.

I would probably apply undecided and apply early decision. Thatā€™s going to give you your best shot. Honestly I hope things go your way but I think itā€™s going to be a long shot. I normally say GPA at almost 4.0 is needed.

Thank you :slight_smile:

forgot to add French Honor Society but it doesnā€™t make a difference.

If you look at the data from 2018 that is currently available. For Criminology Major (and yes I would apply to Criminology - I think it may help vs. going in undecided). - you are above average when in comes to SAT and below average on GPA.

Sounds like you have a nice story to tell and I hope early decision helps you get in. I would call you a little borderline but definately very possible you could get acceptance. Personally opinion I think your demographics of first time college student in family coming from a small rural school will push you toward the an acceptance.

I have a 3.55 unweighted GPA, a 27 on my ACT and am in the top half of my class. I took one AP class last year as a junior and am in my culinary arts program as a culinary 3 student. I teach ESL to immigrants and do other ministries, I babysit almost every day and watch my 2-year-old brother every day after school. Iā€™m in two clubs this year, environmental science and a knitting club. Iā€™m a senior and planning to apply soon and just want to see how far of a stretch VT is for me so I donā€™t get my hopes too high.

This has been my favorite school for ages so all of my eggs are in the basket. If I donā€™t get in, Iā€™ll probably transfer through another school.

Intentions:

• Early Decision
  • Criminology (if not, Undecided if it will help my chances.)

Demographics:

• White Female
  • First Generation
  • In-State Resident
  • Low Income/Single Parent

School Stats:

• 3.45 UW (not good, I know!) / 3.8 W
  • 1250 SAT
  • Ranked 45/153 (small school)
  • AP Euro (3), APUSH (4), AP Lang (4). Currently taking AP Gov and AP Lit.

Extracurriculars:

• Marching Band, 2 Instruments
  • Concert Band, 2 Instruments
  • American Legion Auxiliary
  • Varsity Academic Challenge
  • Varsity Track & Field
  • Teacherā€™s Aide Program, Pre-K
  • Work, ~20 hours/week
  • Military Veterans/Military Kids Club (not naming, as it is area-specific. we volunteer for the VA hospitals and other stuff alongside the American Legion/VFW)

When I completed my Ut Prosim questions, I highlighted my service to military veterans and my financial situation.

Iā€™m a Virginia resident and am applying for Early Action, my GPA is 4.12 (weighted) and my SAT score is 1380 and 1390 superscored (Reading/Writing: 720 and Math: 670). My grades for my high school years are as follows:

9th Grade
Aerospace Science1- A

Biology 1 HN- B+

English 9 HN- A-

Geometry HN- C+
Health & PE 9- A

Latin 1- A

Wld Hist/Geog 1 HN- B+

10th Grade
Algebra 2 HN- B+

AP World History- B
Chemistry 1 HN- A

Criminal Justice 1- A
English 10 HN- A
Health & PE 10- A

Latin 2- A

11th Grade
AP Chemistry- A-

AP English Lan/Com- A

AP Psychology- A

AP US History- A-

Film Study I- A
Latin 3- A

Precalc w/Trig HN- B-

12th Grade
AP English Lit/Com
Latin 4
Aerospace Science2
AP U.S. Government
Film Study II
AP Calculus AB
AP Physics 1

AP Scores:
AP World History: 4
AP Chemistry: 3
AP English Lan/Com: 4
AP Psychology: 5
AP U.S. History: 5

I know my Freshman year grades hurt me a lot but will it make a difference that I somewhat improved over the years?

I unfortunately am not in many extracurriculars in school but I have been part of TSA for the past two years and will be again this year. Iā€™m super passionate about it and have put a considerable amount of time and effort into it, but I donā€™t think this is enough. This year I will be part of Science Honor Society to tutor more in Chem. Outside of school I do Archery.

Asian Male in Northern VA
Senior in HS class of 2020
GPA: 3.95
SAT: 1300
Number of AP classes taken/taking right now: 8
Varsity XC for 2 seasons
Varsity Track for 6 seasons (indoor and outdoor)
Around 100+ volunteer hours
Debate club for 2 years; was a PEER tutor junior year (PEER is a program where some students are selected to tutor other students) and was part of Math National Honor Society Junior year as well

What are my true chances for the BIT program at Pamplin college @VT with this Info? please be honest!!! :slight_smile:

Hi everyone! I love Virginia Tech and Iā€™m interested in their Computer Science Program. I am planning on applying Early Decision. Iā€™ve also ā€œDemonstrated Interestā€ by visiting the campus and joining the Representative for the School Visit (High School Visit).

In-State (NOVA) for 11th and 12th grade and (India) for 9th and 10th grade
Race: Asian
SAT: 1450, 720 R&W, 730 Math
Weighted GPA: 4.14 Unweighted GPA: 3.89

The reason for my Weighted GPA being is low is that my school system for 9th and 10th grade had no honors concept. The classes were inherently difficult because they were Indian classes but I do not get honors credit.

Schedule for Senior Year
IB Physics HL
IB Math SL
IB Literature HL
IB History HL
IB French SL
IB Theory of Knowledge (Basically Philosophy)
IB Economics HL

Extracurriculars, Awards and Volunteering
-IB Diploma Candidate
-Winner of Talent Search Competition for Math and Science in my city during 9th grade
-10th Place Regionally in the National Cyber Olympiad in 9th Grade
-30th Place in my Region for the International English Olympiad during 9th grade
-Division Captain for a division of the Programming Sub-Team for my schoolā€™s FRC team, 11th and 12th Grade
-Member of Cybersecurity Club, 12th Grade

• Co-Creator and Tutor for a Studying service for math, 11th and 12th Grade (Volunteering for 75 hours)
    -Drama Club, 9th and 10th Grade
    -Band, 9th Grade
    -Administrator for an IB Help Group at my school (Over 100 Members), 11th and 12th Grade
    -Vice-President of the Economics Honor Society, 12th Grade
    -Member of National Honor Society, 12th Grade
    -Member of Math Honor Society, 12th Grade
    -Member of National Science Honor Society, 12th Grade
    -Network Manager for Cable Firm in India, ~10th Grade (Volunteered for 120 hours)

Although Iā€™ve not been given the chance to take traditional/American interpretations of Honor Courses, Iā€™ve tried to compensate by taking 13/14 IB courses during my Junior and Senior year. Tysm for your time.

I think you are in good shape. Especially committing early decision. Be sure to answer the essay questions fully and get people to proof read.

Okay, thank you so much!

In-State Applicant applying EA for VT
Desired Major: CMDA in College of Science
Senior in Northern Virginia - (Taking 8 classes every year)
GPA: 3.600 - Weighted (UW not provided)
SAT: 1350
Pros: 10 APā€™s in total, many clubs, basketball, and lots of volunteer experience
Cons: 4 Cā€™s, and 1 D on transcript in AP Calculus AB (In AP Calculus BC currently)

Could I get in CMDA directly or do University Studies instead? + Any additional tips to enhance the application such as retaking the SAT or justify the rough grades in one of the four essays for VT?

I guess it wouldnā€™t hurt to try for higher SAT but they favor grades over tests.

Im not sure doing undecided would help. Early decision may help if itā€™s your top choice.

Looking at 2018 freshman data doing University Studies would seem easier path in.

Dept. of Science Avg GPA 4.07 (25th percentile 3.91)ā€¦ Avg SAT 1279 (25th percentile 1190)

University Studies Avg GPA 39.5 (25th percentile 3.8) ā€¦ Avg SAT 1244 (25th percentile 1150).

I like to look at the 25th percentiles as those show where your borderline.

Ok, thank you for the data and advice.