Chance Me / Application Discussion - Virginia Tech Class of 2024

They gave out way too many offers. It’s very simple. I’m not sure why the university won’t just admit that and move on, instead of perpetuating the talking points that so many more people thought VT was awesome than they could have predicted. Yes, Virginia Tech is a great place, I just think it is dishonest to twist the facts. Onward and upward. We will see how last year’s debacle will affect this year’s class. I would hope that tripling students and stuffing them into study lounges and hotels is not something they want to repeat. The over enrollment is rippling out into the town with increasing rents. Let’s hope things are handled a little better this time.

ED to Computer Engineering
Male NOVA
Legacy (Father, graduated first in Electrical Engineering 91)

GPA 4.03
SAT 1420 Math 730 ENG 690

Lots of EC’s : Varsity Golf Team 3 years including Captain Senior Year, NHS, Beta Club, Sea Perch Robotics including National Championship, VEX Robotics

Project Lead the Way all classes that were offered

Especially going Early decision and being legacy I think your going to make it. If you were non-legacy and not doing Early decision I would think it would be a tossup (being from NOVA area is so competitive).

Hi I was wondering if there will be a “decision” spot that will appear on the application summary page when decisions start going out.

Decision shows up directly above where it says SRAR received etc on the status page. A new section shows up above.

My son just submitted his EA application to Tech - does anyone know how they will notify of admissions decisions? Do they email the student provided email address? It doesn’t look like you get access to the portal unless you get in. Thanks.

@NovaEagle
A few days after submitting the application, your son will receive an email to set up a guest account. This portal is where he can submit his applications for Scholarship Central as well as see the admission decision once it is posted.

Local high schools got their onsite decisions this past week. The offers seem similar to those in the past, so hopefully that means they aren’t overly restricting this year’s admissions to make up for over-enrollment last year. Exciting times.

Hello!
I applied Early Decision… wondering what my chances are? Multimedia journalism major.
All honors/AP classes freshman and sophomore year. Dual enrollment junior and senior year. I will receive my associates degree in May and high school diploma in June.
SAT 600 (math) 690 (verbal)
4.1 weighted GPA

Thanks!

I think you should be in good shape

ED to Engineering
Out of State (Florida)
White Hispanic

33 ACT (34 Superscore); Highest scores: 32 English, 31 Math, 35 Science, 36 Reading
3.7 GPA (unweighted)

6 AP’s by gradution (AP European History, AP American History, AP Chinese Language, AP English, AP Calc AB, AP Physics 2)

4-year member of the band (vice-president of school band, and principal clarinet) and volunteer for the Sailing and Robotics teams. NHS and Science NHS member.

Hello all,

Wondering my daughters chances… She applied early decision so VT is definitely where she wants to be?!!

Out of state- Illinois
3.756 weighted GPA / 3.44 UW (with grades improving year to year with 4.0 Junior year AP Chem, AP Lang, AP Calc, AP ceramics AP Psychology

Legacy (Brother is a Sophomore at VT)

Major: Chemistry and Criminology

Lots of volunteering, cheer, hosting multiple foreign exchange students for a year each, work with her current job being a lifeguard.

Fingers crossed we will have two Hokies next year?!?!?!

@illinoishokiemom If she declares the Criminology major, I think she is definitely a shoe-in. What are her SAT or ACT scores like?

Thanks for your reply ak2018.

Her sat is 600 English 640 math

She declared chemistry but put that she wanted to double major with criminology in one of her essay questions.

I would have said borderline but being legacy I think that should put her in the good side.

That’s what I’m hoping for!

My son just submitted his application over the weekend and we just wanted to confirm that he doesn’t link to SRAR and only enters all of his information the Coalition? He emailed VT and this is what they told him to do, however, I see some comments saying that they did submit the SRAR. VT apparently changed this this year. I just want to make sure we were miss guided by wrong advice from admissions.

@carrottopcurls2 yes, that is correct, no need to fill out the separate SRAR this year.

Today my son received the link for the portal and after some technical difficulties, he was able to login, however, the screen is VERY basic and says Virginia Tech Guest Access Information Gateway with two selections: Application Information and General Financial Information. Is this the right place? I’m just surprised it looks so plain and rudimentary that I’m worried he is in the wrong place, like a backend site.

Edited to add: I’m just used to portals being more graphic with more information on it.

Was wondering if anybody knew the expected release date(s) for vtech this year along with how you would be able to tell on your application