Chance me! Boarding school

I am in the 8th grade and I live in New England

Awards:

Top 15 in Math Kangaroo, Placed in a local geography bee, Won a chess tournament 15 times, Made it to nationals in destination imagination, Won an AAU basketball tournament 3 times, Won club baseball championship once, Won town baseball once, Won town basketball once,High Honors my whole life, selected for a entrepreneurship program where I won the competition.

Extracurriculars:

Model UN, UNICEF, Debate, Student Government, Mentor, Volunteering, Reading leader

Grades:

Straight A’s. I am currently taking a AP weighted course as a 8th grader so I am assuming that I will get a B.

SSAT:
Not that good at standardized tests,

Sports:

I am really good at baseball and I am talking to all of the coaches at these schools.

Schools that I am applying to:

Groton(DAY)

St.Marks(DAY)

Andover(BOARDING)

Exeter(BOARDING)

St.Pauls(BOARDING)

Define “not good at standardized tests” as you will need a score that indicates that you can handle the academics at Groton, St.Paul’s School, Exeter, and Andover.

Teacher recommendations which discuss an applicant’s maturity level and work ethic are very important to highly selective boarding schools.

Cannot even guess at your chances for admission without an SSAT score–and, even then, it would just be a guess.

I took the SSAT last year and I got 75%. This year I am assuming that I will do better as I have been studying and I am just a year smarter. I think that I will get good teacher recomandations.

Do you think I will need an extremely good score for St.Marks?

No, not as high as the other schools on your list. And most schools accept lower SSAT scores for recruited athletes. Some schools request that recruited athletes with SSAT scores well below that school’s median SSAT score repeat a grade when entering.

I would say that my academics are better than my athletics. But I know that Groton is known for asking students to repeat a grade

If you want another day option with good baseball you can add Worcester Academy. And if you would be a day student at Groton I’d cast a wide net and add Lawrence Academy.

Also, I can pretty much narrow down the area you live in by where you can be a day student, and winning town championships will mean absolutely nothing in terms of athletics. Club baseball tournaments won’t mean much either, but what AAU team you play on might. If you haven’t spent time on a 90 ft diamond yet, it’s really going to be what your coaches say about you as a teammate, your coachability and your baseball IQ as much as it will be about your (predicted) skills.

1 Like

Can you address full pay or financial aid? Also what do you mean by “high honors” your whole life? Do you mean John Hopkins CTY? Top 15 of Math Kangaroo where?

Gently, do you see that there may be a disconnect between how you perceive the test scores you like and don’t like? You are scoring highly at CTY and Math Math Kangaroo but stating “you don’t test well.” Take a real SSAT and figure out what is going on and how to prepare because I think you have the ability to perform at a higher level.

I think Groton in particular would be a very hard place to be if you weren’t prepared for it.

1 Like