Chance me Fall 2018 Transfer??? George Washington University

Hello!

So I was wondering if some of you could tell me my chances of getting into GW with a low gpa. I’m currently a freshman at my community college.

GPA: 3.06
(I know its low, especially for GW but I had a lot of medical things going on this semester which really affected my school work)

ECs:
-Fellowship with NextGen America
-Created the Young Democrats club on my college campus (President)
-California State Democratic Delegate (I vote at our statewide convention)
-Regional Field Director for a congressional candidate running in my district
-Running Start’s Young Women Political Leadership Program Alumni
-Political Director for Orange County High School Democrats
-Young Democrats of America Women’s Caucus Delegate

I’m also visiting GW during the second week of January so hopefully that will show that i’m really serious about the school, any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I forgot to add, I also planned/organized/ran a Youth Activism Conference in my county for high school and college kids this semester, don’t know if that helps my application or not!

I don’t think you’re going to get into GW with that GPA, even if it’s medical-related. The Admissions folks are going to need to see SOMETHING from you that shows your potential, so I think another year at CC (with a much higher GPA) is what it would take. Your EC’s are great, though, and I recommend keeping that up. Just get that GPA up to at least a 3.3 (preferably 3.5) if you want a decent chance.

Lets say my second semester I get all As (maybe one B) and my gpa rises to around a 3.4, do you think that improvement would show the admissions team my potential to thrive academically at GW?

It’s certainly possible, but I’m not sure how much time they like to see for an “upward trend.” I would assume at least one year (two semesters) of positive growth would be a minimum, but again, I’m not sure what Admissions usually goes with.