Chance me for Berkeley, San Diego, and Santa Cruz Transfer!

I’m an OOS ~> CCC ~> UC Transfer. I will be considered in-state and a CCC Fall 2017 Transfer.

Applying for:
UC Berkeley (Engineering Science: Engineering Math & Statistics)-Goal
UC San Diego (Engineering Science: Structural Engineering)
UC Santa Cruz (Computer Engineering) -Safety

Transferable GPA: 3.68/4.0
Schools I’ve attended: CUNY: New York City College of Technology (CUNY: NYCCT), Moorpark College, Evergreen Valley College (EVC; Currently attending Evergreen Valley College)

Assist Course Grades Equivalencies:

(Required Coursework using Berkeley conventions)
Major: Engineering Math & Statistics
CHEM 1A & CHEM 1AL: A
MATH 1A: A
MATH 1B: A
MATH 53: B
MATH 54: A
PHYSICS 7A: A (Honors Designation - Completed)
PHYSICS 7B: B
PHYSICS 7C: A
ENGLISH R1A: A-

ENGLISH R1B: A

(Recommended Coursework - Missing 2/4 of the recommended coursework. Couldn’t fit it on my schedules.)
MATH 55: B
COMPSCI 61B: IP (Honors Designation - IP)
ASSIST GPA 3.69/4.0

(Required Coursework using San Diego conventions)
Major: Engineering Science: Structural Engineering
MATH 20A: A
MATH 20B: A
MATH 20C: B
MATH 20D: A
MATH 18: A
MATH 20E: N/A
PHYS 2A: A (Honors Designation - Completed)
PHYS 2B & PHYS 2BL: B
PHYS 2C & PHYS 2CL: A
CHEM 6A: A
SE 1: N/A
SE 2: N/A
SE 3: N/A
ASSIST GPA: 3.74/4.0

(Required Coursework using Santa Cruz conventions)
Major: Computer Engineering (Robotics and Control)
MATH 19A: A
MATH 19B: A
MATH 23A: B
MATH 21: A
AMS 20: A
CMPE 16: B
CMPE 12 & CMPE 12L: N/A
CMPE 13 & CMPE 13L: C
CMPS 12B & CMPS 12M: IP (Honor’s Designation - IP)
PHYS 5A & PHYS 5L: A (Honor’s Designation - Completed)
PHYS 5B & PHYS 5M: B
PHYS 5C & PHYS 5N: A
EE 101 & EE 101L: B
Ethics Requirement: N/A
ASSIST GPA: 3.45/4.0

ECs (Won’t go into Detail for these it would be a bit much to explain; however I will list a general overview of my ECs):

-Member of Phi Theta Kappa
-NASA/California Space Grant Consortium Award of Excellence
-EVC Honors’ Institute Membership
-CUNY: NYCCT Dean’s List
-Member in a minority outreach program for African Americans on EVC campus
-Service Learning mentor on my campus; taught the first semester of algebra based physics.
-NASA/California Space Grant Consortium intern. Me and my team did research in Microcomputers and Robotics on EVC campus.
-EVC Math Tutor; eligible to tutor Calc 1 and Calc 2 in the Math Resource Center. (Can’t go any higher because they don’t allow it at this center)
-EVC Physics Tutor; eligible to tutor the first and second levels of Calculus Based Physics at the Math Resource Center.
-EVC Veterans’ Tutor; eligible to tutor all levels of mathematics (Calc 1, 2, 3, Linear Alg, Diff Eqs) in the veterans center separately
-CUNY: NYCCT Emerging Scholar; did research in Chaos Theory.
-Assigned an Independent Research project on Chaos Theory.
-CUNY: NYCCT Honors’ Scholar; did research in Thermodynamics.
-Assigned an Independent Research project on Thermodynamics.
-Founding Secretary of the Comp Sci Club on EVC campus.
-Treasurer of the Honors Club for Fall 2015 - Spring 2016 on EVC campus
-Secretary of the Honors Club for Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 on EVC campus

Personal Statement: I’d like to say these are solid. Lets just leave it at that.

Other:

I’ve explained my grade dip in my application which was due to dire family related circumstances that caused my GPA to drop like a rock at my time at Moorpark College and slightly at EVC. I’ve emphasized that I am now ready to advance my studies at the university level now that my family issues have been resolved in my Personal Statement. At CUNY: NYCCT I had a 3.98 GPA, at Moorpark College I had a 2.93 GPA and my GPA at EVC at the moment is 3.727.(2 semesters done at CUNY: NYCCT, 1 summer session done at CUNY: NYCCT, 1 semester at Moorpark College, 4 semesters at EVC).

I’ve also applied for the Karl S. Pister Leadership Opportunity Program that Santa Cruz offers with my current CCC. How am I looking for that?

How am I looking right now? I feel like I’m going to get rejected from UC Berkeley and UC San Diego because of my GPA. :frowning:

Oh the wait until April is going to kill me. x___x’

Use this link to chance yourself: http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/infocenter/transfers-major

Hi @Gumbymom,

My major for Cal doesn’t have any data, except for an admissions rate that was 60% (only 5 people applied, 3 got acceptance) for one year. However it seems for UCSD I have a shot and for Santa Cruz I’m in. So mainly it’s just UCB that I’m worried about.

On the main site for engineering science at Cal it says “… successful junior college transfer students generally have overall GPA’s of 3.5 or better”. But I’m skeptical. I also don’t know anything about the scholarship I applied for in terms of getting it for UC Santa Cruz.

Cal is always a tough admit, so looking at the other Engineering majors and admit ranges, a 3.68 might be borderline.

Regarding the Santa Cruz scholarship, I really cannot help you there. I only know what is posted on the UCSC website but you look like a very qualified candidate.

Good Luck.

Thanks @Gumbymom

@BoredEngineer I think your overall GPA might be a bit low for CAL, but considering your impressive research and ecs in the field, along with your nearly 4.0 for your major prep coursework, I think you have a strong chance. CAL especially looks at the entire UC app, not just the grades. With solid essays that explain your grade drop and impressive extracurriculars I would say you stand a very decent chance of getting in!

@acal7504

Hi thank you for your input and honesty; however, my Major GPA is 3.69. Its not exactly “near” 4.0. I hope they take into account my familial circumstances. It will be very crucial in explaining my mediocre GPA.

@BoredEngineer I would say you have a great chance of getting to UCB! You have great extra credits and you’re grades seem solid as well!!!

@californiannnnnnnnnnnn

Thanks! I’ve been told a 3.68 overall GPA and 3.69 major gpa for Berkeley is borderline repeatedly but my extra circulars and explanation for my grade dip should get me an acceptance into Berkeley engineering. I’m still skeptical though (especially since I’m not applying for EECS so I’m pretty sure admissions for engineering math is more lenient). I guess I can only hope for the best.

For anyone who sees this for future reference I just wanted to put out there that I was accepted to UC Santa Cruz with a full ride (EVC Nominee for the Karl S. Pister leadership award this year) and got accepted to UC San Diego for the programs specified in the main post! I’ll update this tomorrow for Berkeley’s decision!

Congrats!! You’ve earned it. Regardless of UCB’s decision, it will be hard to decide between full ride and not so full ride. Best of luck, you’re self-aware, well-prepared and headed to a bright future wherever you go.

Rejected from Berkeley.