Chance Me For Cal Poly SLO Biomedical Engineering

Hello! I’m a Senior. Please Chance me for Cal Poly SLO biomedical engineering major. Thank you for your time.
Alternate major: Chemistry
MCA Score: 4902
CSU GPA: 4.0
SAT: 800 Reading 800 Math
Semesters of Math: 12
Semesters of Science: 8
Semesters of English: 8
Semesters of Foreign Language: 8
Semesters of Visual/Performing Arts: 4
Hours of Paid Work Per Week: 21 (Major Related)
Hours of EC Activities Per Week: 21 (Held Leadership Role)

SLO rarely considers alternate majors but you look competitive for BME. With around a 12% acceptance it is not a guarantee but your stats put you in the running.

Best of luck.

Thank you for your input.

You works 21+ hours a week, plus do ECs for 21+ hours per week, AND go to school?

Yes

The numbers are averaged across a whole year. So for example if you worked 40 hours per week in the summer, but not at all during the school year, it would average out to 10 hours per week. The same goes for ECs.

If you’re going to school, say 8-3:30, where do you get the hours to work 3+ hours per day (7 days a week), do ECs 3+ hours a day (7 days a week), and still have time to eat, drive anywhere and study?

I’m simply curious because 21+ in both categories is something I’ve never run across.

I was just confused about how I would average the hours out. Thank you for the help.

That tweak will drop your MCA a bit, but not by a lot. You’ll probably still be in the hunt. As @Gumbymom said though, have a backup. It’s a very competitive major. Good luck!

My new MCA is 4752 is that still competitive? I realized that my GPA is a little low. Should I retake the classes I got B’s in, so they can change to A’s, and I can have a higher GPA?

On average you want an MCA of 4700+ to be competitive. The majority of HS schools will not let students with a C or higher retake classes. Since you are a Senior, your current grades are going to be reported for the application which closes on November 30th, so SLO will not see your repeat grades even if you are allowed to retake those courses and they will not be considered in the application review. It is what it is at this point. Apply, hope for the best and make sure you have several safety schools on your list.

My MCA changed to 4862. Is that okay for BME?

I have 21 hours of EC’s and 11 hours of work

Yes, an MCA of 4862 is competitive, but it will depend upon how you compare to all the other BME applicants and there is no way of knowing where you stand until decisions are made.

Have you look at this thread to see MCA points of the Accepted/Waitlisted and Rejected applicants from this past admission cycle?
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/cal-poly-san-luis-obispo/2128373-cal-poly-slo-2019-final-status.html