Chance Me for Early Decision (Engineering or University Studies?)

<p>I've decided to apply to VT Early Decision, but I'm still undecided on applying to Engineering or University Studies (chance me for both?)</p>

<p>I am from the Richmond area and go to a public school, here are some basic stats:</p>

<p>GPA - 3.951 W (Pretty sure this is weighted, school doesn't give UW)
SAT - 760 Math, 650 Reading (and 620 Writing) [1410/1600, 2030/2400]
Class Rank - 90/399 (This might change because the class size has not been updated for the upcoming year, my class is somewhat competitive, but I'm applying Early Decision)</p>

<p>I've taken 2 years of French, and 3 years of Spanish.
I've taken a huge amount of honors classes to challenge myself (usually the most I can) except math Junior year.
I've taken a Technical Drawing class (AutoCAD class), an honors architecture class (We used Revit, an Autodesk program), an honor engineering class (We used Inventor, another Autodesk program), and I am taking an Independent Study Engineering class (Basically for seniors, I can choose to use any programs and do independent projecets).</p>

<p>Senior Schedule:
Independent Study Engineering
Honors Regional History
Calculus I
AP Government
AP Biology
Honors English
Honors Advanced Shakespeare</p>

<p>AP Classes:
AP U.S. History - 3
AP Government - Senior Year
AP Biology - Senior Year</p>

<p>I have taken advanced science and math classes, Honors Physics, etc. I also expect to have a very good recommendation (I'd say this might be a hook), and I am a white male.</p>

<p>Chance me? Thanks!</p>

<p>Anyone? 48 views, no responses.</p>

<p>I would say you have a really good chance, especially since your math is a 760 and your GPA is around the average of those admitted. I’ve heard that the Engineering cut-off for SAT scores is a 600 for Math; You are well above that. It looks like you have taken rigorous courses in high school as well, so that is a major plus. </p>

<p>The only thing that might hurt you is your class rank and that isn’t that bad. Most students admitted to VT are normally in the top 25% of their class. You are around a 22-23% area, but you also said it hasn’t been updated. The reason I say this might hurt you is that you don’t know how many of your peers with higher GPAs, SAT scores, higher class ranks are going to apply to VT. </p>

<p>Personally, I think if you don’t get accepted into Engineering, you have a good chance of being admitted as University Studies. Let me explain something though. Virginia Tech has a system for their Engineering applicants. If they think you have what it takes to get into the University, but aren’t quite there for Engineering, they will accept you as University Studies and send you a transfer packet with your official acceptance in the mail. You can also find this document online. If I were you, I would go ahead and apply Engineering. If you get into the University, but not the major, you can always transfer into it from Univ.Studies. </p>

<p>As a final note, I will tell you that I don’t know how accurate this post is as far as my opinion. Anyone with over a 3.7 GPA and an average SAT score gets into VT from where I went to high school. As for NoVa, you need over a 4.0, insane SAT stats, and great ECs/Recommendations to have a decent chance. I don’t know much about the Richmond area. Good Luck!</p>

<p>Thanks, my school has a center, which means lots of kids in there have really high GPAs. My rank probably won’t get much better, but many of the kids in front of me are looking at UVA and other schools, and I am also applying Early Decision to try and avoid them. Hopefully that will help. I know that if you get deferred Engineering, you can get into University Studies. Do they defer you in December, then let you know you’re in University Studies in March? Or do they defer you from Engineering in December, then let you know right away that you’re in University Studies?</p>

<p>Last year I applied to engineering during early decision. I got deferred from everything in December, and then in March/April I was accepted into University Studies during the normal admissions process.</p>

<p>Thank you for answering my question.</p>

<p>My son was in the same spot this time last year with the ID program. It is a highly selective program and he wasn’t sure he would get in. He thought he could be safe with university studies and then transfer in. He called the Architecture department and they advised him to go for the ID program; if he didn’t make the cut for ID and they felt he met requirements for US then they would refer him there. It is a lot more difficult to transfer into Eng or Arch from US, so if you think that is where you want to be-go for it! If you don’t get in to Eng and do get into US then you can consider the transfer. You may get lucky like my son-he is starting in the ID program this year! He is so glad he tried. Good Luck!</p>

<p>Wow, thats great, I heard that the Arch. program and ID was almost impossible to get into, he must be really smart. I am just scared that I won’t get in Early, and the wait would kill me as this is my dream school. Everyone is pulling for me to just apply Engineering, but I’m on the fence…</p>

<p>He didn’t have a 4.0, but close to it. The average GPA they mentioned at orientation was a 3.9. He did do ED, it is nice to know that early. I think you have a really good chance and have nothing to lose by choosing to do ED-Eng. It really is a win-win situation.</p>

<p>Totally agree with LynnVB. Go for the ED, apply for ENG. I think your chances of being admitted to VT with your stats as an ED applicant are high, and if it is your dream school that is the ultimate goal anyway, right? Being admitted for Engineering would be icing on the cake. </p>

<p>At my son’s VA hs, it seems that year in and year out, the high achieving kids who apply ED to VT have a very good chance of acceptance. I don’t have any documented evidence to that statement, but the talk through the area parent grapevine lends itself to that fact. Good luck to you and I hope you receive great news this year from Blacksburg!</p>

<p>There is this access program that VT does every year that you go to VT in November and they give you onsite admissions. Look into that, some of my classmates did it and they loved it.</p>

<p>I thought that the onsite admissions were for transfer students?</p>

<p>No I do know of several freshman that were admitted this way.
.</p>

<p>Alright, I might do that, thanks for the advice! :)</p>

<p>The on-site admissions program is known as [Fall</a> Visitation](<a href=“http://www.admiss.vt.edu/open_house/fallvisitation.php]Fall”>http://www.admiss.vt.edu/open_house/fallvisitation.php). It’s coordinated early during the fall semester. This year there were two dates. In September students from pre-college programs in Northern VA and Richmond participated, and in November students from programs in the Hampton Roads area and North Carolina participated. If you are a part of the your area’s pre-college program or can get in that way, it’s definitely a great opportunity.</p>

<p>Alright, I haven’t heard of the program in my area, so not sure if that’s an option or not.</p>

<p>bump, anyone else?</p>