Chance me for Early decision George Washington University

Chance me for GWU, I’m applying ED and test optional

Race and gender: White/Filipino, Female

Background: Single mom, deceased father, live in Northern VA
Intended path: Pre med, then DPT
Courses I have taken: DE US History, AP World H, AP Econ, AP Lang and comp, AP Stats, AP Gov, AP Literature, AP French, everything else was honors classes

GPA: 4.15 weighted, my school does not do unweighted

Extracurriculars:
-Worked at a farm/petting zoo, Pacsun and I currently work at an in home daycare
-Future Nurses club, French club and service initiative club
-Ballet company
-Girl Scouts and GS camp counselor
-NHS, NAHS, NFHS (service, art and french)
-PBS News hour student reporter
-Head Newspaper editor
-Advertisements manager for newspaper as well
-Student cabinet junior year
-Sports medicine program at school
-Loads of various volunteer events, and I’m applying for my Girl Scout silver award

LOR’s:
-My newspaper teacher who has already told me she is writing one for me, I work with her a lot so I think she will write me a good one :slight_smile:
-My guidance counselor or current employer

Essays:
Essay 1: I started ballet when I was 12, which is a really late age to start at. I had to dance with 7-8 year olds and it discouraged me a lot, I also faced a lot of criticism from teachers because of my age. I managed to work hard enough to be placed in my age group in only 2 years. I’ll go into more detail about setbacks and such. This essay corresponds with the common app prompt “a hardship you have overcome”.

Essay 2: I grew up in a predominantly white area in Northern VA where it is really hard to interact with people who share the same culture as me. (I’ll be rewording this in a more respectful way) Growing up, the only real exposure I had to filipino and asian culture was the asian food market that my mom took me to. I am going to go into more depth about what it meant to me.

GWU is my dream school so let me know what my chances are. I would also like to know what financial aid I would receive. My dad passed when I was two, and my mom is a part time accountant.

Thanks so much and good luck to everyone else applying right now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like you have a very solid application. You have a good balance of EC’s with your intended major, and a related essay will be a plus, as well. I’d say you’re a strong match for GW.

As far as aid, no one in here will be able to say. The best I can offer is to tell you to check-out the Class of 2023 accepted ED1 thread in here and read through people’s stats. They frequently post how much aid they’ve received as well as their stats. I imagine you’ll receive a little more than comparable students based-upon the fact that your mom is the only income in the family, and part time at that.

Good luck!!

Thank you! I’ll have to take a look at that thread.