Chance me for Florida in-state schools (UF, FSU, UM)

Demographics

• US domestic (US citizen or permanent resident) or international student
  • State/Location of residency: Florida
  • Type of high school: Public
  • Gender/Race/Ethnicity: Hispanic Male
  • Other special factors: First Generation / URM for Major

Intended Major(s)
Biology

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.37 on 4.0 SCALE
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): 4.47
  • College GPA (for transfers): 4.0 Dual Enrollment
  • Class Rank: Top 25%
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 1360 SAT

I explained the low GPA because of COVID-19 (freshman year).

Coursework
9th
English 1 Regulars
Algebra 1 Regulars
JROTC Regulars
Engineering 1 Honors
Spanish 2 Regulars
Environmental Science Regulars
Geography Regulars

10th
AP Seminar
AP Psychology
Health Science Honors
Geometry Regulars
Algebra 2 Honors
Chemistry 1 Honors
Physics 1 Honors
World History Honors
Biology Honors
English 2 Regulars

11th
AP U.S History
AP Biology
AP Physics
AP Computer Science Principles
AP Language & Composition
College Algebra → Dual Enrollment
English Composition → Dual Enrollment
Pre-Calculus Honors

12th
AP Chemistry
AP Government & Politics
AP Environmental Science
AP Calculus AB
Marine Science Honors
Astronomy → Dual Enrollment
Astronomy with Lab → Dual Enrollment
Medical Terminology → Dual Enrollment
Medical Aid → Dual Enrollment

Awards
Robotics Engineers Award
Robotics Judges Award
2022 Newsela Winter Reading Challenge Finalist (1st place).
Science National Honor Society
AP Scholar

Extracurriculars

Garden Volunteer (four years) → I participated in several activities such as organizing weddings, working the cafe, and feeding animals.

Robotics Mechanic (four years) → I designed and built robots; promoted middle-school STEM careers; sold STEM packages to families.

Guitar Player (five years) → I taught myself how to play and went on to teach friends and family as well.

Founder/President of Neuroscience Club (two years) → As a team, we dedicated meetings towards raising money and donating medical supplies to local foster homes.

Science National Honor Society Treasurer (two years) → I raised $500 yearly in fundraisers and tutored students in mathematics and science.

Science Olympiad Life Science Captain (two years) → I won several science events (2nd and 3rd place).

HOSA member (two years) → I assisted in annual blood drives and breast cancer events.

Developer/Designer (one year) → In my free time, I designed a game to educate people on the nervous system (receiving over 500,000+ visits).

Georgetown University Research → I analyzed and learned the principles of the cancers that inflict the abdomen, along with surgical procedures to exterminate them.

Essays/LORs/Other
I wrote about how watching the story of Ben Carson (neurosurgeon) inspired me to pursue medicine, specifically neurosurgery. (6/10)

Cost Constraints / Budget
I plan on attending in-state with BrightFutures so I do not need to worry about costs.

Schools
University of Florida / UF
University of Miami / UM
Florida State University / FSU
University of Southern Florida / USF
University of Central Florida / UCF

• Safety → USF and UCF
  • Reach → UF, UM, and FSU.

A lot will depend on where those above you at your hs are applying. UF and FSU say it doesn’t matter, but it seems to in the end.

For UM, you’d get to use BF and get an EASE grant, but you’ll still need a merit scholarship or need based aid as it is quite expensive.

Congrats. Your UW GPA to weighted doesn’t make sense to me. How does your school weight ?

I’d say no based on the 3.37 1360 to all 3. I’m not sure USF is a safety. Depends on how your weighted is done.

Good luck.

Are you a parent or are you actually someone who has done thorough research on the admissions process?

Both my kids got into UF, FSU, and one applied and was accepted to Miami.

I’m a parent but if you ask a question, expect an answer. I’ve done a lot of research yes. No reason to second guess someone just bcuz you don’t like their answer.

Most use a +.5 honors and +1 AP. Your school doesn’t because your GPA UW to weighted doesn’t fit. So I’m asking how it was calculated. If you had a 3.37 UW and every single class was an AP…which of course it isn’t…the most you could have is a 4.37. Why I’m asking….

USF, for example, had an average 4.2 GPA - below yours. But again you can’t go from a 3.37 to 4.47 on the most common scale hence I’m asking how yours is done.

A 3.37 for someone with solid rigor might end up 3.7-4.1ish on the typical scale.

Hence why I asked you to clarify.

If you look at any of the universities’ common data sets, it is obvious that USF is a safety school for me.

While I may not have the highest GPA or SAT score, I do have above-average awards and extracurriculars, which weigh far more than academics in the admissions process for these Florida universities.

I’ve reached out to students/admissions officers from these universities who have gotten in with similar stats but amazing extracurriculars, so I’m skeptical of your expertise when you say USF isn’t a safety school for me.

And the weighted is on a 6.0 scale.

So your weighted relative to USF will be lower.

Interesting you say ECs are far more important than academics. Not sure there’s a school in the country where that is a true statement.

Also, if you look at what USF says, ECs have no weight. Only rigor, GPA and test scores and rank is considered.

See the common data set linked. Section c7

You asked a question. Just because you don’t like the answer doesn’t mean it’s wrong. I’m skeptical of your statement because it’s false based on the common data set.

One last thing. No one here has ‘expertise’. We are not admission officers. we are a collective group giving our best guidance. Is it always spot on ? No. Do I think you need to look further in case you need to add an FAU, UNF, FGCU or FIU. yes.

Best of luck to you.

2 Likes

Horses mouth…

1 Like

I recalculated my weighted GPA for USF/FSU/UF and it comes out to 4.36 weighted.

I believe that any admissions officer would prefer a student who has been an impactful and contributing member of numerous clubs over a student who has only maintained a high GPA.

When students with similar academic backgrounds apply, you need to stand out, which is why extracurricular activities are so crucial in the admissions process. They exhibit initiative, focus, commitment, and a variety of other reputable characteristics that schools value. It’s not just a matter of who is a better test taker; they also look for students who have a personality and are passionate about things they love.

Despite my low GPA, admissions officers I’ve spoken with have told me that I’d be a strong and competitive applicant because of my extracurriculars, which weigh more than a test score or GPA. UF and FSU also take a holistic approach.

This would not be the case for any T50 school in the U.S. as you require both excellent academics and extracurriculars, but public universities in Florida? It just doesn’t seem right.

1 Like

Let me help you out. Go to the admissions FAQs. It’s linked below. They calc your GPA as I said +.5 for Honors and +1 for AP.

That’s why I questioned your 4.47. It isn’t. Your 6 point system threw you a head take. It’s not apples to apples.

So take every honors class and add .5 and every AP and add 1 and recalculate.

Do a little homework b4 attacking others. I’m just trying to help.

Let us know your weighted GPA on that 5 point scale. Then you can decide are you safe or not. It will be below their 4.2 average but so will many. But below is why I initially said I’m not sure it’s a safety. Look at UCF too once you have it to ensure it works too.

Good luck.

Please recalc again. If you had a 3.37 UW, to have a 4.36 means you took every single class in HS as AP.

Again, a 4 for unweighted is a 4.5 Honors and a 5 AP

b is 3 is 3.5 Honors and 4 AP. Since you have a 3.37 you likely have more Bs than As or have some Cs mixed in.

If you have solid rigor, I’m guessing you are between a 3.7 and 4.1 weighted. If you took standard classes then less.

You can think what you want about what the AOs are looking for. You noted you looked at the common data set. Please share. I did. And it said zero consideration of ECs.

Maybe they practice differently but I’m just going by what they put in the CDS.

No need to fight me. I’m trying to help you. My belief is USF at best is a target and maybe a reach. Summer admittance would be easier.

My suggestion is you properly recalc your gpa and go from there. You can ignore me if you choose - no problem. It’s your right to disagree as I do with you.

Best of luck.

1 Like

Why are you seemingly so confident about EC’s being more important than High GPA and scores yet posting for feedback, and then arguing with feedback you receive? Not sure why you are posting to be honest.

3 Likes

This is from a Blog in 2019 even though it is on their website it is not correct
USF does not look at EC Essay or LOR
They look at GPA Rigor and Test Scores and will consider class rank that’s it.

S21 accepted at USF is at FSU
D23 applied decisions start to come out later this month

2 Likes

Looking at his UW andWeighted on a 6.0 scale. and going thru this process a couple time, Florida HS, his recalculated GPA is probably 3.9 something.

That being said USF Summer admit would of been a target last year
However, this is the first year where USF is not truly rolling. If you applied by November 1st decision date is December 15th then rolling for admissions after November 1st. but summer admit should still be OK

UCF summer admit depending when applied still truly rolling, D23 accepted last month to UCF,

FSU this year has an EA for Florida residents who applied by Oct 15 with decisions coming out December 15. Last I heard was over 20K applied by EA date. With this being first year will be interesting to see acceptance rate and stats.
Was application Fall or Summer? Summer possible, FSU only considers you for term applied this was a change last year. all others on list will consider you for all terms available.

UF don’t see it below GPA and Test scores 25th %, Summer maybe still below GPA but in the middle 50% on Test Scores

Miami don’t see it below GPA and Test scores 25th %

I think OP left as they were responding quickly but did not like the counter to their beliefs.

I agree with tsbna44 your GPA and SAT scores will be very low for FSU and UF. UF generally likes top 10% class. I know they say they review applications holistically but based on the data even with your extracurriculars it will be a very hard admit for you. Additionally in Florida I don’t think being hispanic will be a URM in any major.

Florida publics don’t use ethnicity.

1 Like

For UM, that 3.37 GPA is going to be a major hurdle. Their average unweighted GPA is 3.8 and their most competitive candidates will have a course schedule at least as difficult as yours. Your SAT score is also well below UM’s bottom 25th percentile (but you would have the option of going test optional). I just think your GPA is going to hurt you at high stat schools like UM, FSU, and UF. The depth and talent of the applicant pool at all three of these schools is extraordinary.

I hope you are following the advice of others on this forum and checking out the other great public universities in FL where your stats will make you a very solid candidate. But like others, I do not think that UCF and USF are 100% slam dunks for you, but I do like your odds if you apply for a summer session start.

It’s true lol.
Two days ago, December 15th, I had been accepted to FSU (Early Action) and Cornell (Early Decision).

3 Likes

Congratulations on your success!!! I think it is fair for you to take a victory lap given some of the determined naysayers above but stay humble but happy.

Enjoy your senior year now that ED is locked up.

2 Likes