Chance me for Texas A&M Engineering [TX resident, 3.63 GPA, top 25% rank, 1410 SAT]

Oh! Early Action you should hear by mid December. Do you have all :white_check_mark: on your application, making it complete?
I’d still be familiar with TEAB, in case you are offered that pathway. Engineering at Galveston could be another offer, too.

1 Like

Based on your school profile it’s a match/target, so your odds are higher than 50-50. The issue is that you may get into TAMU, you’re not admitted to CS or the Engineering program of your choice. Even if you meet pre-reqs you’re not admitted. All those top 25% students will be competing - first, to pass the classes (this, based on your rigorous HS, should be okay, but typically 20-30% don’t)- second, to make the grade -and third among those getting top grades you’ll still be competing for spots in the most desirable majors. For a student considered top 25%, the difficulty isn’t so much in getting in, it’s in being able to have a positive post-freshman strategy with a Plan A, plan B, plan C, with career goals that are appealing to you. No student expects theyll be in the bottom of their class because till then they were at the top of their class… yet half any entering TAMU class ends up in the bottom half and ~90% don’t get into CS.
The issue is real and shouldn’t be taken lightly.

Okay, so what matters is a strong Robotics club, a nice campus, solid academics, professional placement?
I’m thinking UAlabama Tuscaloosa would be a nice alternative to TAMU, just in case - solid engineering (all ABET accredited), pristine campus, school spirit, and national as well as Southern professional opportunities. You also have ASU Barrett - top Honors College nationally, nice campus, solid Engineering.
@tsbna44 : what does your son have to say about robotics at Bama?

1 Like

i have apcsp forgot to iclude in the list but got a 4 on that

I don’t think you will have trouble getting into TAMU engineering. Like other said, just to realize that TAMU has ETAM year to get your major in sophomore. Be open-minded on which engineering major you will end up with because all engineering fields have lots of programming. Good Luck!

3 Likes

What kind of engineering is of interest to you?

Be aware that, historically, for students not earning a 3.75 college GPA in the first year (college GPAs are typically lower than high school GPAs), computer science, computer engineering, and biomedical engineering are likely to have 0-10% admission rates, while mechanical engineering, civil engineering, and aerospace engineering are likely to have <50% admission rates. If those are the only majors you are interested in, enrolling at Texas A&M is risky.

If your primary focus is computer science, as indicated by admission to UTD for computer science, it is preferable to go there instead of going to Texas A&M and likely being weeded out by the 3.75 college GPA requirement.

1 Like

Good thread. Thanks for posting. I hope you get in.

Yes I have had the green tick since before the early action deadline still have not gotten a decision… kinda getting worried now since there are only 2 weeks left for early action decisions release.

@taipenx your SAT is okay (many will have higher), 1st quarter A&M ranking is good, AP scores aren’t tho.
Like I said, you need to be very familiar with all the various Engineering ‘pathways’-some more popular than others, and they can fill quickly-if you aren’t offered General Engineering at College Station.
Hopefully EA decisions do come out in the next 2 weeks… :crossed_fingers:t3:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.