Chance me for the UC’s

hi! can someone plz chance me?

gpa: 3.7 (uw), 4.1 (w)

5 APs: CS (4), Calc BC (5), Calc AB subscore (5), Chem (3), Bio (3), probably not going to submit bio or chem

ECs: robotics (w/ leadership positions + won individual award on the state level), dance, lots of STEM volunteering (500+ hours), founded mental health club on campus, wistem advocacy, research w prof on AI/ML (looking to publish paper in October)

Applying robotics engineering at UCSC and UCR. Applying Data Science or CS at the rest.

What are my chances? Thank you.

First calculate all 3 of your UC GPA’s: Unweighted, Capped weighted and Fully weighted.

https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

What Math are you taking this year?

You have some very good EC’s but the UC’s are tough admits for CS/Data Science and Engineering. The UC’s do give AP credit for scores of 3 or higher so I would submit (my opinion only).

UCSC and UCR are good target schools. Do you have any safety schools on your list.

UCD/UCI/USCB are definitely possible but the decisions could go either way.
UCSD/UCB and UCLA will be Reach schools for CS.

Below are the 2021 admit rates based on the capped weighted UC GPA. STEM majors will have lower admits rates.

Campus 4.20+ 3.80-4.19 3.40-3.79 3.00-3.39
Berkeley 30% 11% 2% 1%
Davis 85% 55% 23% 10%
Irvine 60% 31% 14% 1%
Los Angeles 29% 6% 1% 0%
Merced 97% 98% 96% 89%
Riverside 97% 92% 62% 23%
San Diego 72% 25% 2% 0%
Santa Barbara 73% 28% 4% 1%
Santa Cruz 91% 81% 46% 9%

Best of luck and make sure you have 1-2 safety schools on your list that you are willing to attend.

I am taking AP Stats and AP Physics 1 & 2 this year. Do you think I will have a higher chance of getting into these schools with a Data Science major. I’m pretty certain I want to do Robotics Engineering at UCR and UCSC, but unsure about the rest.

Data science would be a slightly easier admit at most of the campuses although it is a Capped/ Impacted major at UCSD.

UCI and UCSD admit into the University first then the major and will consider alternate majors.

If Data science resides in the College of Letters and Sciences, choice of major is not a consideration in the admission process.

For UCB, you are admitted Undeclared then have to complete pre-req courses to declare the major.

At UCSB, Data science is in the department of Statistics so less CS emphasis and more Math focus.

It is really up to you which area you would prefer and both CS and Data Science are marketable degrees.

You do not have to go to a UC for CS to do well post graduation in the workforce. An example of one, my son went to SDSU for CS and is doing very well as a Senior Analyst in a high profile Cybersecurity firm.

You should choose based on your interests and what area of study you would be happy to pursue long term.

SDSU/CSU Long Beach would make good target schools for CS if you are willing to apply.

Best of luck.

1 Like

FYI, you noted 5 AP’s but only listed 4. FWIW, the AB subscore is not considered a separate AP.