Chance me for UCSD, UCLA, UCB

Hi everyone, I am currently in the summer of my junior year and preparing to go into senior year. My standardized test scores are decent however my GPA is admittedly quite low. With that being said, please chance me.
Demographics: Asian, male, Public School (largest in the state)
Stats:
SAT I: 1480
SAT II(s): none as of now
GPA (W): 4.3/5.0
GPA (UW): 3.4/4.0

Senior Course load: AP Macro/gov, AP Java, Honors Science Research, Honors Tech Writing, Linear Algebra, Photography
note: I have taken a total of 11 AP classes over my high school career

EC’s:

-Red Cross (4 years)
• Volunteered at feed my starving children where members pack rice for children in poorer parts of the world (our center served children in the Philippines)
• Volunteer at the annual lung force walk hosted by the American Lung Association
• Volunteer at the annual trauma walk hosted by the American Trauma Association
• Volunteer at my city’s annual ostrich festival where volunteers help set up stands and equipment

-Church involvement
• Began volunteering at our church’s fundraising stand my freshman year; I am now the captain after almost 4 years of involvement
• Attended mission trips to both Taiwan and Mexico where volunteers set up individual schools that teach English, culture, etc. through interactive games and activities

-Internship at an overseas biological technology research laboratory in Wuhan, China
• Conducted experiments with algal mediums, e-coli strains, and other substances
• Held multiple discussions with graduate students from around the country and even attended a conference during my internship
• Gave a presentation on algae and its relevance to a class of graduate students
• Participated in a Q&A along with the presentation

-Quiz bowl (attended Atlanta nationals once)
• I am captain of one of three varsity quiz bowl teams at my school
• A member of our school’s nationals team

-International Physics Olympiad
• A contributor to the creation of the club
• I serve as the event coordinator of the club and arrange for our team’s participation in competitions

-Science Fair
• I was able to placed 4th in my category at my state’s science fair sponsored by Intel
• Presentation on the components and effects of cellular radiation and what those effects entail

-iCan after-school youth program
• Volunteer at iCan after school center for at-risk children (2 years)
• Nominated for volunteer of the month on multiple occasions

-Others
• I have played piano for 6 years
• Currently grade 9
• Taught myself Beethoven’s appassionata, arguably his most complex piece second only to Hammerklaver
• I have been drawing for 6 years as well
• I placed 3rd at the Confucius Chinese cultural art competition hosted by my state university’s Chinese culture board

-Athletics
• I have played tennis for 6 years now
• Participated in various USTA sanctioned super sets
• Participated in many independent tennis tournaments (regional opens, summer games, etc.)
• JV/Varsity tennis for 2 years
• Our team placed second at state during the 2017 season

-Academic honors
• 4.0 GPA Scholar for every year of high school
• AP Scholar

Your UC capped GPA will probably be around 3.65 to 3.70, which will most likely not get you into UCB or UCLA. You have a better chance with UCSD. It will still be a reach (well over 100K applicants this year) but doable.

Also are you in state or OOS? If OOS then the costs for UC would be 60,000 without a chance for financial aid.

OK, the Ostrich Festival was a giveaway that you’re OOS since the only Google match was for Chandler, AZ.

I’m assuming that U of A and ASU are your match schools with Barrett Honors being a target. Berkeley and UCLA are reaches since the UCs are GPA driven.

You can calculate your UC GPA by using this Calculator and they only use 10-11th grades for the a-g course requirements. If you are OOS, you can only use AP/IB or DE courses from 10-11th grades for the extra honors points in the calculation. HS designated Honors courses will not qualified for the extra honors points.

https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

Post your capped weighted UC GPA and Fully weighted UC GPA.

If your UC GPA is within the 3.7-3.9 range, your chances at UCB/UCLA are slim so consider them a Reach. UCSD is still going to be a tough admit also. UC’s tend to be very GPA focused vs. test focused so although your SAT is competitive, your GPA appears to be not.

Also make sure that you can afford OOS costs for the UC’s since they offer little to no financial aid to OOS students so your costs will be close to $65K/year to attend.

Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.40-3.79 (capped weighted) and not major specific:

UCB: 1.8%
UCLA: 2.2%
UCSD: 7.2%
UCSB: 10.1%
UCI: 11.1%
UCD: 16.6%
UCSC: 43.8%
UCR: 63.3%
UCM: 88.7%

Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19 (capped weighted) and not major specific:

UCB: 12.6%
UCLA: 11.7%
UCSD: 38.7%
UCSB: 53.6%
UCD: 56.5%
UCI: 52.1%
UCSC: 75.7%
UCR: 90.1%
UCM: 96.1%

haha yeah I’m OOS from AZ but yeah my gpa is definitely low in comparison to the average. Thanks for the feedback nonetheless!

haha yeah I’m OOS from AZ but yeah my gpa is definitely low in comparison to the average. Thanks for the feedback nonetheless!