Chance me for UW Madison Please :))!!!!

<p>I have taken the most AP classes possible at my school. I am rank 10/52. I am a member of the marching, concert, pep, and jazz band at my school I play trumpet, tuba, and alto saxophone and participate in Solo and Ensemble. I have been a WI State XC and Softball participant. I am involved avidly in volunteer and extracurricular activity. I travel internationally as well: Costa Rica in 2012 and Spain 2014. I was recently diagnosed with a thyroid condition and the symptoms definitely took a tole on my ACT score. I have much more extracurriculars than mentioned above. But my counselor is writing a letter in regards to my condition and how it affects me. I am a very dedicated and ambitious student. I know someone who was accepted last year with a 22 ACT, 3.8 GPA ranked 6/48. They also had a DUI and two MIP's on their record. I feel that I have a good chance as a WI resident. </p>

<p>My info:
Wisconsin resident, applying to earn a Zoology Major
ACT: 22 (no writing) 21 (with writing) (My school counselor has confirmed that they will review my ACT without writing as well as the one with writing.)
GPA: 3.8/4.0

<p>Classes taken:</p>

<p>Freshman:
Algebra I: A
Biology I: A
Contemporary World History: A
English 9: A
Spanish I: A
Health/Gym: A
Senior High Band: A</p>

<p>Sophomore:
Algebra II: B
Geometry: A
Chemistry I: A
Spanish II: A -
English 10: A -
Gym/Computer Literacy: A
Ancient World History: A</p>

<p>Junior:
Spanish III: A
Advanced Math/ Precalculus: A-
English 11: A
Biology II: A
US History: A-
Senior High Band: A</p>

<p>Senior:
AP Spanish:
AP Calculus AB:
AP US History:
AP English Lit:
Chemistry II:
Physics:
Senior High Band:</p>

<p>Retake the ACT ASAP if possible. Traveling just indicates enough wealth to be able to do so. Academics trump extracurriculars. Apply - you can’t get in if you don’t. Be prepared with plan B- you can consider transferring later.</p>

<p>Well, My family is actually quite financially incapable of affording the trips. It came down to me fundraising. Also, I had to apply for a fee waiver so they are aware of my financial status.</p>

<p>You still need a substantially better A C T</p>

<p>Your finances won’t matter to admissions. They won’t know/care that you needed a fee waiver. You won’t replace a better qualified student just because you can’t afford to go to a college another applicant can afford. You could possibly use your fundraising as an essay bit if they involved something that sets you apart from others. But you could have done your charity work closer to home. Your essays should reflect why UW would be the place for you and how you can do the work. UW doesn’t want to admit anyone only to have them unable to succeed.</p>

<p>Well, I am sure my essay efficiently describes hardships and why I believe UW Madison is right for me… Thanks for the criticism, but it wasn’t quite relevant. Just a misunderstanding between the two of us.</p>

<p>But, I also have based my assumptions on the precedent provided by those who had been admitted to Madison from my school. In the past 3 years the majority of students admitted (from my high school) had ACT scores between 22-25 and GPA’s in the range of 3.7-4.0. Class sizes are approximately 50 each and of those classes about 10 out of each class were admitted. I know basing my chances off of such statistics may be inaccurate, but it does mean that I have a chance. Along with my application, I have had two letters of recommendation sent to the college to possibly give more insight to my work ethic and ambition as a student.</p>

<p>No- you chose to tell us what you consider significant about yourself. Finances can be difficult for many others but they don’t choose to reveal them or let them define themselves. UW is right for thousands more students than can be accommodated. It is the “right” school for many others. Your finances have nothing to do with UW choosing you over any other student. Choosing to raise money for trips abroad instead of for attending academic camps and such is not impressive. You benefited more from those trips than any charitable work involved. Lose the sense of entitlement.</p>

<p>From your class list, you are taking 4 AP this year and none before. Is that your school policy? Your GPA does not reflect any of the AP classes yet. Anyway, ACT at 21 is at the national average. The mid 50 for UW Madison is 26-30. Even for in state, it would be a low reach for you.</p>

<p>The Wisconsin ACT average is above the national average as well. 22-23 usually. This is for all WI HS students applying to all schools.</p>

<p>Well, they said they would consider my highest composite. Billcsho, the reason behind not taking any AP’s before 12th grade is because they are not offered to underclassmen. I do know that colleges are aware of what classes are offered at each school. The rigor of my coursework is substantial when knowing what is offered, although, I am well aware that other students are better equipped. It is not in my control what classes my school offers, but I am at the highest level available at my school. And, by the way Wis75, I do not let my finances define me… I let my work ethic, dedication and determination define me. I don’t take no for an answer unless I know it is impossible because quite frankly, I am a realist. I didn’t even mention the factor of my trips in my essays. My reference did. My apologies for wanting to provide more background to my story. I also realize I am not the most qualified applicant. It’s as if those who comment on posts such as mine just want belittle people who are taking a chance; and that is not constructive criticism. That is derision.</p>

<p>One more thing, by hardships in my essay I mean general struggles I had through high school. From there I described how I recovered from them and stayed motivated to do well even with such burdens. I didn’t mean financial hardships. Please, realize there are multiple meanings for words.</p>