Chance me: George Washington University (GWU) ED

Recently I selected George Washington University as my top pick for when I apply this fall. My Ivy-attending friends say that GWU would be a match for my stats, but I wanted more opinions. I’ve always wanted to attend a university in D.C. for the obvious political capital of being in the nation’s capital, and I think GWU would be a perfect fit for me!

I plan to apply at GWU early decision. What are my chances and should I apply test-optional.

Background:
-White, middle class male
-GAY with a nightmare of a coming out story to unaccepting parents (talked about in essay)
-I go to a private high school with rigorous courses in Fort Wayne, IN.
-Very outgoing and have already made in-person connections with multiple GWU admissions counselors

Academic Stats:
-GPA: 3.90 uw (3.93 w)
-SAT: 1290 (640w, 650m) - I am retaking, but may apply test-optional as it does not reflect my abilities (suggestions??)**
-AP’s: US History (5) English Language (4) - I am taking 5 AP’s my senior year
-Rank: school doesn’t rank (annoying) but I’m probably in top 10-15% of my class (180 students)

Extracurriculars:
-Communications intern (2 years): paid/unpaid intern for school communications office, 20+ hours/week
-Bath and Body Works (2 years): key holder (management position) 35+ hours/week
-Aeropostale (2 years): lead sales associate, 25+ hours/week
-Student Council (4 years): class president 3 years, representative freshman year
-Elementary Immigrant Tutoring (3 years): co-founder and leader of group of 40+ tutors who go to local elementary school
-Honors Academy (4 years): inaugural group, must maintain high academic standards and do 100+ hrs community service
-School Scholar and Ambassador (4 years): one of three in class of, represent school to community, received $2,500/yr
-Students for Social Change (2 years): VP, promote social activism to school administration and student body
-CANstruction (3 years): team captain, helped design and fund-raise for 6,000+ can structure
-Church sound system operator (6 years): ran sound, video, and recording system at church 36+ hours/yr
-Helping Hands (2 years): volunteer across community for those in need
Spanish dialogue (2 years): participate in Spanish conversations at local college to practice skills
-National Honors Society (2 years): participant

PS: I’m applying to the School of Media and Public Affairs with a political communication major! Thanks in advance for the help!

I would agree with your friends in that you seem like a match. To solidify your chances, however, I’d agree that you should attempt to retake your SAT. If you don’t improve much, I’d probably suggest going test-optional.

Great job reaching-out to admisisons folks- I’m sure those relationships will pay-off. I’d also encourage you to tour the campus if possible (I know it’s a hike from IN). I’d say that as long as you write a compelling essay, making sure to elaborate on your choosing GW and why, you’ll be good-to-go.

being from the midwest and that you have showed “interest” should be a great help. as well as your EC’s.

I second everybody else’s reply. You seem like a good match, and making those connections early on will likely help you. I’ll also add these two bits of info for you…

1. The political communication major is a “limited enrollment” major. This means that they like to keep these programs smaller than other related majors. Sometimes (though not always), this means that it is slightly harder to gain admission to GW under the political communication major, or other “limited enrollment” programs. I wouldn’t worry about this too much, but it is something to keep in the back of your head.

2. As far as submitting your test scores, I would recommend sending them if and only if you have a 1400 SAT or a 30 ACT. I have no empirical data to support these numbers, but it is generally a good rule based on my observations and through the people who I know at the admissions office.

Good luck!

Thanks for all your suggestions! I’m going to study very hard for my SAT in August and will post my scores when I get them! Fingers crossed I do well! :-SS

I’m applying ED for GWU too! Political science major :slight_smile: Good luck!