Chance Me - Ivys/T20

As a college counselor are you familiar with the matriculation history of the high schools OP mentions? That context is actually paramount for this OP plus the scarcity of URM from these schools.

If you dig through those high schools data you will find that more than 2/3 of students gain admittance to school with similar selectivity to those OP describes as matches. Once again OP your GC best resource.

https://www.pingry.org/hp/news-page/news-pop-up-page/~board/migrated-news/post/college-selections-for-the-class-of-2022

1 Like

Among schools of this type, Madison would make a stronger choice for the study of economics.

2 Likes

Am I really a URM since I’m Hispanic (Spain, I know it’s weird but Spain is listed under Hispanic instead of Caucasian, so not really Latino) and Indian/Asian? Won’t affirmative action also probably be gone in June?

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice. You’re right. On Naviance everyone who has applied ED has gotten in, though I don’t think Williams is my clear favorite, so probably no ED for me. :frowning:

2 Likes

I would not consider you a URM but let me pose a different question are you in the top 50% of your class academically and or will your teachers and LORs describe you as a positive and capable member of the academic and social community?

If so along with a solid group of safeties as a back stop I think you are fine. FYI I base this having been a guest lecturer and teacher at 2 of the high schools you mention.

3 Likes

I do know the matriculation history, and have applied to two of our top “feeders.” Our data/sample size on Naviance isn’t super great (I mean I guess this is true in part for all schools) since kids in my school tend to favor a certain type of school (think UVA, Wake, etc.). We have never had more than 10 kids apply to Williams, and never more than 5 to Amherst. Our acceptances out west are pretty dismal, but that’s not entirely surprising. We haven’t had a single applicant to CMC in the last 4 years!

4 Likes

As of right now I’m solidly in the top 25% at least, and as I mentioned in my OP, I’m quite sure my LORs are both 10/10.

2 Likes

For Matches, consider:
U of Rochester
U of Richmond
UC-San Diego
UC-Santa Barbara
UC-Davis
Case Western
Macalester
Villanova
Trinity College
Dickinson
College of the Holy Cross
Lafayette
Grinell
Bucknell
Brandeis (low Match)
William & Mary (low Match)
U of Georgia (low Match)
Davidson (High Match)
Vassar (High Match)

Again, Wake Forest and UF would be High Match

2 Likes

Congratulations on your hard work paying off! Conventional wisdom (at the 2 schools I know well) for a student like you is 2-3 safeties that you can both afford and would be happy with. 6 match at selective schools and 2-3 reaches.

I would warn you that Vanderbilt has recently been idiosyncratic (again only speaking to the 2 HS I know). They used to accept 5-8 high stat kids a year. Over time few attended as most went Ivy plus. Consequently very few RD acceptances of late. Another school I would suggest ED or replace. Duke may be an alternative as they seem less concerned about yield protection as they matriculate a lot of kids from the aforementioned schools.

Once again good luck and feel free to DM if I can help.

1 Like

If you are planning a careen in finance, wouldn’t Finance be a better major choice than Economics?

2 Likes

Yes, I would need the School Profile document for the student’s high school. And yes, their own school counselor could better know how students from their high school with a similar profile have fared at each college (or if they use Naviance). I saw the list of acceptances/matriculations at the prep schools you gave links to. Not every student is attending one of the “reach” schools mentioned by this student. Further, “reach” doesn’t imply this student cannot be accepted to any of the schools they listed. Reach simply means the odds are low, but they have a chance (they are not “out of reach”). Any college that accepts less than 20%, no matter how terrific a profile/qualifications a student may have, automatically has “reach” (low) odds. I have had students with a higher profile than this student denied at such schools (of course, some do get in too).

1 Like

UCs do not give aid to OOS students. Expect to pay $70K to attend. Tuition & cost of attendance | UC Admissions

The good news for you is that the UCs recalculate your GPA and do not use freshman grades in the UC GPA calculation. Please calculate your UC GPA using courses from summer after 9th grade until summer after 11th grade. OOS students only receive honors bumps for AP and IB courses. If your course was listed as honors at your high school, the UCs may view it as being more rigorous but they do not award extra honors points in your GPA.
https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

As was mentioned before, UCLA and Berkeley are reaches. Depending on your GPA, UCSD, UCSB and UCD may also be reaches. If you are determined to go to a UC, both UCI and UCR have business schools. UCR will be an easier admit than UCI.

Your post that I responded to wasn’t questioning the “reachness” of the OPs reach choices. You suggested his matches were not in fact matches given his profile.

At the schools mentioned this students profile and the matriculation data confirms these are in fact appropriate matches.

Not looking to argue but kids like him typically wind up with several acceptances at his self described matches. That is simply a fact based on me seeing multiple classes of kids graduate from these schools and the data the schools make publicly available.

I absolutely believe you and recognize you are offering earnest and well intentioned advice but it is largely irrelevant unless you are familiar with this students school.

If you would like to add another UC to your list, consider UCSD in particular.

2 Likes

The schools that this student called Matches (other than Wake Forest and UF) have an acceptance rate below 20%. For ANY student from ANY high school (I work with some students attending highly regarded high schools), still are Reach odds (low chance, but possible).

In fact, this student’s so-called Reaches (Penn, Brown, Williams, Vanderbilt) have acceptance rates below 10% and for ANY student, no matter how qualified or what HS they attended, these would be considered “High Reaches” or whatever name you want to give them, for very low odds. These schools are turning away students with even higher profiles.

I have a current senior who is also half Asian / half Hispanic attending one of the top public schools with a higher profile than this student, for example, who was denied at Brown ED and also RD to UCSD.

I have students accepted to Brown, Penn, Williams, and Vanderbilt, and all have/had a profile higher than this student. As well, others with a better profile have also been denied. Many of these attend well known private or public high schools.

I suggest a better balanced list would be:
2 HIGH Reaches
5 Reaches
5 Matches
2 Safeties

2 Likes

You win😀. I guess my kids and all their friends just got lucky. Along with the 50 or so kids I have taught each of the last 6 years.

1 Like

I never said this student could not get in. Reaches are still possible. Schools with very low admit rates (less than 20% and even more so for less than 10%) are very chancy odds even for top qualified students. This student has a very good profile. It is not as tippy top as some other students, including many of mine who have been both accepted and denied at such schools.

Your kids, their friends, and those you have taught are not all equal candidates, nor exactly the same profile as the student who posted here. I am only categorizing the schools this kid named in relation to him.

2 Likes

To be clear OP I have never suggested your reaches to be anything but reaches (not sure why that is being implied). With your profile I actually suspect you are a bit of an underdog. Typically the reach spots you mention are taken by top 10-15% stat kids and those with hooks. The raw numbers are deceptive as you see 25%ish going Ivy plus.

Your matches however seem entirely appropriate and I suspect you will have several options within that cohort.

based on numbers provided yesterday - wake was around 17% this year.

Yeah, Wake has become pretty reachy, and they are quite tough in the RD round.

I would recalculate the list thus:

High Reach (<5% chance): Penn, Brown
Reach (5-15%): CMC, UCB OOS, UCLA OOS, UNC OOS, UVA OOS, Vanderbilt, Williams
Low Reach (15-25%): BC, NYU, USC, Wake
Match (40-60%): Florida OOS, Illinois OOS
Low Match: IU OOS, Minnesota OOS

I don’t think you have a true safety. If I had to bet, I’d bet you are getting into at least IU and Minnesota and Illinois or Florida, but I’m not an admissions officer.

So I would consider adding Rutgers or TCNJ as a safe in-state public option. For safe privates you’re looking at schools with a >50% acceptance rate, where your stats are at or above the 75th percentile. And these days, at many of them you need to really show them the love, because nobody likes being considered a safety.

Edit: URM will be a boost at some of these schools, but definitely not the UCs – they do not consider race.