Chance Me - Ivys/T20

Yes, about Wake. That’s why I think Wake is a Low Reach / High Match for the student in this thread. Would not call it a solid Match.

1 Like

Given your list, perhaps a Brandeis (target) or SMU would be solid matches with SMU leaning toward a lower match. Miami would be a higher target. Denver a safety…to provide balance. Penn State might be another public. For LACs, how about a Lafayette, F&M, Dickinson type as matches.

Ps. For grad school econ is a great major. If you want to be in finance and go right to work, depending what side of it, I might choose a finance degree. Finance is a wide field with many sub disciplines.

Btw the reason I said that Wake may be a bit easier than other reaches- note the word but - it’s a rich kid school and you said you are full pay. I believe they are need aware.

Best of luck.

Of the 2 of 4 high schools (mentioned by OP) that provide granular data 8 kids matriculated to Wake Forest last year. While you can’t extrapolate broadly that would suggest significantly more had been accepted.

In the case of Delbarton it has been a feeder to WF with roughly 10+ acceptances a year over the l recent past. Specifically they like full pay kids.

OP ask your GC your school matters.

1 Like

The UC’s don’t consider ethnicity in their admissions. It’s against the law in California. They have thousands of URM Latino student applicants to choose from if they wanted to consider it, but they can’t.

AA might work at some of the privates that are not the T20. You need to look at the Midwest and South to see if they consider your ethnicity a hook.

OP is Spanish (European, not Latino) and Indian (Asian). Unlikely to be considered a URM, in my opinion.

5 Likes

Agree, that’s why I said that the AA might work, as a hook, at those other regional schools.

So…are you a current HS senior who has already applied…or are you a HS junior who is anticipating applying to y these schools. The above sentence makes it sound like you have already applied.

1 Like

Agree with @tsbna44’s suggestion of SMU. They are prioritizing private school/northeastern kids as part of their strategy to have a higher profile nationally. They also have a pipeline to finance jobs.

Another more under the radar school with a finance/Wall Street connection, though not a match, would be Washington and Lee University.

4 Likes

Have you considered a school like Babson?

1 Like

I don’t remember many schools asking “how” only “if” you are Hispanic OR Latino.

1 Like

Can we move on from debating where or if the OP falls on the URM continuum. It is what it is.

4 Likes

The finance world, especially investment banking is filled with very pretentious hiring managers. They want students from “target” schools, whatever that means. But in their jargon, this typically translates to higher ranked colleges. Generally the pecking order is Harvard/Stanford/Yale, then other T10 colleges (Columbia, Chicago, Duke, Penn, Brown, etc). Outside of the T20 its hard to get traction for IB jobs. Recently the big banks have started hiring students outside of the traditional targets, but its not easy.

If non-IB finance is what you’re after then there are many colleges where you could get a great education. Being full pay will be a big advantage, especially at need-aware colleges, also out of state publics. UCSD for instance accepts a high percentage of OOS applicants.

Still unclear to me if you are a junior or senior. If you’re still a junior, then retake the SAT, or take the ACT and get your scores up.

1 Like

Yeah, definitely not IB. I have many contacts (relatives, close family friends, etc.) in the areas of finance/consulting I’d maybe go into, so hopefully, they’ll be some help. I’m currently a junior.

What exactly do you mean by “like Babson?” To my knowledge, Babson solely focuses on degrees in business.

Exactly.

editing to add that it has liberal arts courses and is in a consortium with Olin and Wellesley…see next post

1 Like

Regarding Babson, you may want to read this recent post: Match me CA junior looking for target/reach - #15 by Bill_Marsh

If non-IB finance, then please consider a more technical degree like CS, math, statistics, etc. Learning python and R will be valuable in the long run. As long as you have a decent GPA you’ll be fine. Use your connections, as networking and internships are key for finance.

Use binding ED1 and/or ED2 to maximize your chances. Your full pay status will make a huge difference here.

It depends on the school. You pick the school first, and do the major that the school offers. There was a discussion in a recent thread on whether business or Econ is the preferred major for IB. So if you go to Wharton, you do business, if you go to hypsm or Chicago, you do Econ etc…

Even within non IB finance, it is nice to have a quantitative major/minor and an Econ major/minor — eg BB trading jobs or asset management firms etc. Only for explicitly quant finance jobs is it ok to completely drop the Econ major and just do a hard technical major — specifically TCS and or Math. Physics is also fine.

2 Likes

Babson, Bentley.

Lots of focus areas that could work. So whether or not you want a school like that it’s a good suggestion for you to review. Both highly respected. Babson a harder get.

1 Like