Female

Intended Major: Communications, possible minor in psych
3.7 w gpa on 4.0 scale
not submitting scores, no class rank
5 APS
All honors with expection of two math classes fresh/soph year

notable ec’s
-Rugby
Recruited girls from high schools to play, helping to lead to a State Championship win|
-Treat Yo-Self Mental Health Club Founder, President
Organize events for 45+ members in the club, promoting wellness and strong mental health in high schoolers

• Ice Hockey
    -School House Council
    keystone club (volunteer)|Co- president
    -Volunteer at community events, award winner at international conference, worked collaboratively with Apple to create trailer, head of education committee|
    -Manager of town’s beach club snack shack/ catering business
    Towns democratic comittee student intern
    -Canvassed successfully for three state-elected officials, met with US senator and State governor on multiple occasions to discuss state policies.
    -Mock Trial
    recognized best witness in state 2022, team 2nd in state 2023
  • After school Counselor

Very strong LORs!

not really any cost restraints

Clemson University ea r

University of South Carolina, Columbia ea s

Northeastern University, ea r (sibling attends)

Santa Clara University, Santa Clara, California ea t/r (toured)

Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, California ea r?

Chapman University, Orange, California ea t (dem interest)

University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California r

The University of Tennessee Knoxville, Knoxville, Tennessee s

Indiana University Bloomington ea s (double legacy)

College of Charleston, Charleston, South Carolina ea s

Tulane University, ea r

. University of Colorado Boulder ea s/likely

University of California San Diego rd r

University of California Santa Cruz rd t

University of California Irvine rd r

San Diego State University rd t/r

University of San Diego rd t/r (high dem interest)

Loyola University Chicago s rolling

University of Connecticut t/r r

1 Like

Sorry - what is the letter after each - like ea r

Early action….?

Reach, target, etc?

Also you need to demonstrate interest at the schools, mainly private, that require.

And you need a test for UTK. Do you have a test score ? If so, what is it.

Hi! For the letter like r, t, s those are my predictions like safety likely etc. I have an 1140

I have pretty much demonstrated interest at each school. I just put on the schools I’ve done extra for

1 Like

OK

Clemson - agreed reach.

• U of SC - I think you get in but let’s say low target, not a safety. And no test - you are right.

It is so different than Clemson - have you been to both? Usually once favors one over the other. Clemson is in the boonies. U of SC is city.

NEU - reach

Santa Clara - I’ll agree high target/low reach

LMU - low reach but reachier than SCU. The geography helps.

Chapman - low target - you’ll get in.

USC - no shot. Sorry Well there’s always a shot if you apply but unlikely.

UTK - Let’s go likely but your test score is low and you need it.

IU - safety = legacy doesn’t count there. But it’s an In.

Charleston - safety - your score won’t hurt here. Won’t help but won’t hurt.

Tulane - no shot - unless ED

CU Boulder - safety

USD - agree target / reach

Loyola - safety - score could work here.

I can’t chance you on UCs/CSU.

I’d say your list is odd. It’s odd you have Clemson - that’s what’s really odd. You have South, you have West. You have Jesuit.

You might look at Loyola New Orleans - you can take classes as neighboring Tulane. And if you like city and Southern, you might like UT Chattanooga…a bit smaller like Charleston and right over the bridge from downtown Chatt which is a cool city…

You might like a Butler as well.

You say cost is no issue and with this list, that’s good - you have schools over $50K up to over $80K short of UCONN.

Please make sure your parents are ok with that.

Nice job on your chancing - I think you did it pretty well.

3 Likes

Thanks so, so, so much for your input!! I really appreciate it.

I think that it’s likely that you’ll get branched for UConn. If for some reason finances wind up being an issue, know that if you get branched for UConn, they usually won’t let you transfer to Storrs until you’ve completed your first two years, or 60 credits. For this reason, you might want to add a Connecticut State U, like Eastern, since they’ll allow a transfer to Storrs after one year at a Conn State U.

1 Like

Unweighted GPA ?

CU-Boulder may become more competitive due to the publicity generated by the astounding turnaround success of the football team.

3 Likes

Oooooh. Sorry OP. I thought the 3.7 was UW.

My odds may be too aggressive.

2 Likes

Would NY not be far enough away? Many of the SUNY campuses offering Flagship Match pricing to CT students. SUNY Albany is one of these, and it has a robust Communication department. With its location in the state capital, there are many opportunities for political involvement. Seems like potentially a good fit for the same price as UConn. I don’t know the nuances of all of the smaller SUNY campuses well, but there are probably a few more good options there (including safeties that you might like better than the UConn alternatives in CT). Private-wise in upstate NY, you might look at Syracuse as a reach, and Marist as a match (or maybe safety - not sure).

UC’s are going to be tough with your GPA, and $$$ even if you could get in. If you like CU Boulder, consider U of Utah, which as a lot of the same attributes but has a lower sticker price, and offers a path to residency for OOS students after the first year, which overall would put the price tag around half of what you’d pay for Boulder, for a very similar education. SLC has a lot to offer as a city with amazing outdoor recreation right nearby. It’s pretty easy travel-wise. And it’s another state capital, so again lots of opportunities for involvement. (You could take a lot of weekend trips to California for the difference in price between this and the CA schools on your list!)

Definitely agree with the Loyola New Orleans suggestion if you like Tulane!

If you like Northeastern and its co-op program, look into U of Cincinnati (where co-op was invented) or Drexel.

Lots of schools will be happy to have you, but IMHO none of the schools you are calling reaches are realistic. A recruited athlete with your stats might have a chance, but unhooked, those admits are very unlikely to happen. There are tons of good options for you; just don’t waste too much energy on the Hail Mary apps.

4 Likes

3.47 uw

2 Likes

I think NY is too close for me. I know there is a huge price thing but I’m hoping that a Cali school pans out . I cant thank you enough for all you input and suggestions :pray:

1 Like

Agree with another poster above that you’ll likely get branched at UConn. Other kids in the local public high school who were branched that I know of ended up at JMU, URI, & Elon out of state.

1 Like

I’ll edit my post above - but think you should consider other schools - if you are ok with the Clemson rural, how about a Ms State or for large Bama or a school like Georgia Southern. If you are ok with UTK, how about Arkansas - nicer town How about Florida schools like FAU? Or midwest schools like Kansas or Mizzou.

Redone with 3.47

Clemson - yes reach.

• U of SC - 51/49 - high target - I lean no.

It is so different than Clemson- have you been to both? Usually once favors one over the other. Clemson is in the boonies. U of SC is city.

NEU - reach

Santa Clara - reach

LMU - reach but

Chapman - I think you squeeze in. All these CA schools will like you being from CT.

USC -no

UTK - target - a higher test score would help. It’s not a TO school. Kentucky or Arkansas would be similar types.

IU - likely = legacy doesn’t count there. But it’s an In.

Charleston - likely - your score won’t hurt here. It may help as only 38% submit and while low, it’s at the 25th percentile.

Tulane - no but consider neighboring Loyola and cross registering.

CU Boulder - target. You might consider Colorado State U and someone noted Utah. U Arizona would be a safety for you.

USD - reach

Loyola - likely.

For other city like schools, you can try a Butler, Denver, and for a likely VCU.

Again, ensure your parents are ok paying in full b4 going down this journey.

Best of luck

3 Likes

ASU (Arizona State University) has an excellent communications school and ASU has an ice hockey team.

BU–Boston University might be of interest.

FSU–Florida State University.

Syracuse has a highly respected communications program which may be especially attractive to sports enthusiasts.

Kansas State would be a safety.

3 Likes

ASU is strong for journalism - if that’s the area of interest.

BU would not be possible.

FSU - highly unlikely - it’s not test optional and both the GPA and test are too low.

SU - you’d have to ED but Newhouse isn’t easy. Still unlikely.

KSU - yes.

Sounds like the student wants to be away from the Northeast.

If hockey is wanted - UAH. Safety, great, growing city, and yep - Hockey is their main sport - and bonus, unlike Clemson and IU - the airport is close.

Of course, communication is varied - so a major in communication doesn’t give the scope of what the student wants.

4 Likes

You need to calculate your 3 UC GPA’s and if you have not taken any CC/DE course your Capped weighted UC GPA = CSU capped weighted GPA.
OOS Honors classes do not get the extra honors point bump only AP classes taken 10-11th grades.

https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

Once you post your UC GPA’s I can give you a more accurate chancing but based on your current posted stats, none of the UC’s or SDSU will be Likely schools. Also why pay $74K/year for the UC’s when there are schools just as good with much lower price tags.

3 Likes

I really like your extracurriculars. Do you have any interest in playing rugby or ice hockey in college?

This is how I would chance you for the schools on your current list:

Extremely Likely (80-99+%)

• Indiana University
  • U. of Connecticut, but only about half of students were able to get the Storrs campus beginning their first year… (source…which might also give you more info about your high school’s odds)

Likely (60-79%)

• College of Charleston
  • Loyola Chicago
  • U. of Colorado – Boulder

Toss-Up (40-59%)

• Chapman
  • Loyola Marymount
  • U. of San Diego (I was teetering between this and lower probability, but because of your high demonstrated interest, I think this category is a better fit)
  • U. of South Carolina
  • U. of Tennessee-Knoxville

Lower Probability (20-39%)

• Clemson
  • Santa Clara

Low Probability (less than 20%)

• Northeastern (unless you ED)
  • Tulane (unless you ED)
  • U. of Southern California

For the California publics, I will yield to @GumbyMom and/or @ucbalumnus, but I suspect none of them will be in a “likely” category.

1 Like

New York is too close but Northeastern is OK? There are lots of colleges in NY which are MUCH further away from even a NY/CT border town than Northeastern!!!

What’s the objective here besides getting away from home (which I totally understand btw…just trying to understand YOUR logic).

5 Likes

CU-Boulder has been trying to raise its profile for years and the success of the football program will certainly help. It used to be a super safety for kids from our high school, but our GC’s no longer consider it so. I do think admissions will get more competitive; loads of applicants were already enamored with Boulder before Coach Prime arrived.

I hesitate to classify it as a low reach for you, but it’s not a target. You have some interesting extracurriculars and CU loves oos tuition dollars so that could help you. Definitely apply TO as your SAT score is below the 25th percentile for CU (1260/1430).

1 Like