SAT 2s:
Math II - 680
Korean- 790</p>

<p>AP classes:
AP Stat, AP Studio Art, AP Calc AB, AP us history

• many honors classes</p>

<p>EC:
80 hours working in a genomic bio. intern in a lab in a University in Korea
4 years of International club (+ President, vice president)
4 years of JV Tennis
3 years FBLA, NHS, NAHS
80 hours Phillippines Mission trip
120 hours missouri baptist hospital </p>

<p>AM I HOPELESS???
UCSD is my DREAM SCHOOL
I know I need to work on my SAT… b/c im OOS
and my gpa seems not good enough
do I have any chance to UCSD and UCI???
I really need your help!!! i appreciate ANY opinion</p>

<p>hey, i’m also applying to those schools as well :slight_smile:
ucsd is my dream school followed by uci.</p>

<p>looking at your SAT and ECs, i’d say you’re pretty good (awesome volunteering services!)
your UW GPA looks a bit iffy to me, however.
kick butt on your AP and boost your GPA, and i’m pretty sure you’ll be appealing to them :D</p>

<p>Going based off their info at [UC</a> San Diego Comprehensive Review Admission Process: Freshman Selection, Fall 2008](<a href=“http://www.ucsd.edu/prospective-students/admissions/undergraduate-admissions/freshmen/process.html]UC”>http://www.ucsd.edu/prospective-students/admissions/undergraduate-admissions/freshmen/process.html)</p>

<p>Step I: Academic review Maximum Consideration
Uncapped Grade Point Average (GPA) 4,500
Scores of all required exams 3,200
Number of “a-g” courses beyond the minimum 500</p>

<p>Step II: Additional academic factors<br>
Eligibility in the Local Context (ELC) 300
Educational environment 300</p>

<p>Step III: Socioeconomic factors<br>
Low family income 300
First generation college attendance 300</p>

<p>Step IV: Personal characteristics and achievement factors<br>
Demonstrated leadership 300
Special talents/ achievements/ awards 300
Community and volunteer service 300
Participation in academic development preparation programs 300
Special circumstances/ personal challenges 500</p>

<p>Looking at your stats, you have 3960 points in GPA, 2744 in SAT (they weight the SAT scores so you only get 80% of the total points… No idea why they do this but yeah, they do) 300 for demonstrated leadership, and 300 for Community Service. That gives you 7304 points total, which would not be enough assuming admissions stay as competetive next year (which, unfortunately, they will… the point cutoff was 7700ish this year).</p>

<p>So, you have to find about 400 points somewhere on that list. I’m not sure if you qualify for the Special talents/achievements/awards thing, but it is possible since you are obviously fluent in two languages (but the site is still confusing, you’ll have to look at the description and see how you fit in). If you did get that, you’d only have about 100 or so points left, which you’d probably need to make up in the SAT, which means getting ABOUT a 2085 (the points differ year to year though, so if you could get that up to 2100, no small feat, it would be really good).</p>

<p>I assume you won’t be able to get points for having A-G courses past the minimum since you are OOS and I dunno how your courses translate to UC requirements, but if you have, you can get a maximum of 500 points for that (although the site doesn’t explicitly mention it, I think you actually get points for EACH class above the minimum, probably 50, not 500 points for just being over the minimum, so take that into consideration) which can also help you out in lieu of a big SAT score raise or getting the Special Talents points or w/e.</p>

<p>Since you didn’t list anything else, I’ll assume you don’t have any other big factors (Low income, URM, First Generation, etc.), so you’ll really have to get the points for extra A-G courses or raise your SAT score significantly to get in.</p>

<p>THE GOOD NEWS IS you’re obviously competitive, so don’t lose hope! Look through that site and do your own calculations to figure out where you stand (just remember the whole 80% of SAT points) and where you need to be (7738 was last year’s cutoff for fall, 7702 for winter), and work hard to get there. You definitely have a good chance, but you’ll need to pick up some points to get in. </p>

<p>Best of luck,
CP</p>

<p>Here is a more complete description of the admissions formula and how to calculate your odds. </p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-general/608088-estimate-your-admissions-decision-ucsd.html?highlight=estimate[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-general/608088-estimate-your-admissions-decision-ucsd.html?highlight=estimate&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Remember to estimate against the cutoffs for out of state students as those are higher than in state applicants.</p>

<p>Last year cutoffs for instate 7738 fall admission and 7702 for winter admit. </p>

<p>out of state is somewhere between 100 and 150 points higher, it is estimated, but I didn’t see confirmation of an exact cutoff.</p>

<p>edit; Sorry, didn’t realize this was an old thread. Someone can delete this post</p>