9-3.67
10-3.4
11: 3.8
12: 4.2 expected (not in GPA above)</p>

<p>swim all 4 years
team captain senior year</p>

<p>Jazz Band all 4 years
Music camp every summer
accepted to Grammy Camp summer 2010. 82 accepted out of over 1500 applicants </p>

<p>volunteer at free clinic
lifeguard during summers (certified)</p>

<p>Are you sure UM doesn’t look at writing? I thought they changed that…</p>

<p>Well, if they do, I think you have a good chance. If they don’t, you still have a chance, just not as good of a chance. You’re continuously improving GPA helps. </p>

<p>You don’t have too many EC’s, but you have shown a long term commitment to them, so that should also work in your favor more than someone who has 500,000 EC’s but only spent one year on each.</p>

<p>Good luck! Hope to see you at the U next year!</p>

<p>thanks, i visited last summer and really liked it. however, the humidity could take some getting used to. I’m from so cal and even i think its crazy hot</p>

<p>Ahahahaha, it’s really funny that you say that. I took some college classes near San Francisco two summers before I came to UM. I was SOOO used to the humidity in Florida that I just couldn’t stand the dry heat. As much as I complain about the humidity, I really don’t think I could stand to live in Cali just because the feeling of the heat is so much different. Then again, I’m sure I could acclimatize after a while :slight_smile: But, yea, it’s definitely something that will take some getting used to, and something you should consider. Have you taken a campus tour yet? If not, it might help to convince your parents to come down here and do one. Not only would you be able to see the campus, but it would give you more exposure to the Miami climate. And maybe it would help to see what it’s like in the winter. I think it gets much cooler in Cali than it does here.</p>

<p>Now that I look at your stats again, I actually think you have a pretty good chance of getting in, maybe with a scholarship (probably with a scholarship if they take writing). But that’s just my opinion. I keep getting worse and worse at this prediction stuff…</p>

<p>actually, i did take a tour. i have friends in miami and I visit them nearly every year with my family. The mother of that family used to work at um (up until last year) and convinced me to take a tour and talk with an admissions officer. based on the info i sent him prior to my arrival, he thought i was majoring for music, even though im not. Though, I know that UM one of the best jazz programs in the country, and i hope to be involved in it in some way.</p>

<p>majoring in music*</p>

<p>Hi, I am sorry to tell you that I know for a fact that UM still does not even look at the Writing SAT. I just checked with my admissions counselor this week about that - of course that is my highest score also!</p>

<p>I would say you have about an 80% of getting in. Remember, UM is not that selective and your credentials look good.</p>

<p>UM isn’t that selective? Its acceptance rate is less than 40%, lower than any other Florida school… where have you been the past ten years luqmanra youre clearly not up to date with your info</p>

<p>Looks like you have a decent chance of getting in, but maybe less chance for academic scholarships. My son is a freshman this year. From reading UM admissions threads last year, I was able to figure out about how much in academic scholarships to expect. Your chances of getting in vary based on what major you apply as. You probably know that a Jazz performance major (or any music performance major) hinges on your audition. Jazz is probably the most difficult. If you just really want to go to UM and aren’t set on a major yet, take a good look at all your qualifications and figure out what major they’re the best for. Like maybe English or History? Then focus your essays on the same major. Don’t overlook that you can have multiple versions of the Common App to send to different schools (hence different essays) to better focus your application.</p>

<p>Could I get a chance as well please?</p>

<p>GPA:
-Through junior year 3.3W
-Senior year 3.5W</p>

<p>SAT:
-CR 650
-Math 640
-1290/1600 (Miami doesn’t take writing unfortunately, I got a 700 but oh well)</p>

<p>I have a lot of ECs and Volunteering that are primarily sports related such as:
Varsity Track two years (Captain this spring)
Varsity Basketball two years (JV as soph, Freshmen as freshman)
Varsity Cross Country just this year
Overnight summer Camp Counselor in Maine for last two summers (going back)
I coach 8th graders in my town’s recreation basketball association
I volunteer assistant teach 1st graders in a program called Sports Club
Treasurer for two years of my high school’s community service club (member all four years)
Etc…take my word for it haha</p>

<p>Recs and Essay:
-Strong recs and I think a solid-good essay</p>

<p>Note:
-I applied early decision! Can’t wait to find out in about a month. Naturally a little nervous though. Any thoughts? Thanks.</p>

<p>just to clarify, i am not applying for music, and this guy is a ■■■■■ for totally hacking my thread ^</p>

<p>You got answers. I’m just curious, sorry.</p>

<p>MHK, I think you have a good chance, especially applying Early Decision and because you have all those ECs.</p>

<p>isn’t his gpa a little low for miami though. college board says that 75% of freshman had a 3.75 or above</p>

<p>Probably, yea, but he has a ton of ECs and applied ED. Those two facts should help his cause greatly. Of course, I could be wrong.</p>

<p>honestly miami isnt THAT selective, to me atleast.</p>

<p>UMs 45% isnt quite that selective, especially compared to UFs 36%.</p>

<p>UMichigan has a 53% acceptance rate but that just means that they select that many percent of their best applicants lol</p>