Chance me please!

<p>I am a senior from the Philadelphia Area who applied EA to U Miami. My SAT's are 620 CR, 600 Math, 620 Writing. My weighted GPA at my public high school is about a 97% which rounds off to about a 3.83 weighted gpa on a 4 point scale. I will have taken 6 AP classes by the time I graduate high school (high number for my school). My class rank is in the top 10% of my class of about 300. My EC's are also very strong: NHS member with over 165 hours of community service, member of my schools varsity baseball and soccer team, member of French Honor Society, president and founder of my schools business club, and I also had a business internship last summer as well as a great experience as a research assistant and volunteer at a major hospital. I also plan on applying to the school of business as a real estate major..any input would be greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>Top 10%
6 APs
SAT Math is a bit low
Started Business Club and Applying to School of Business</p>

<p>Most likely in EA.</p>

<p>To get a picture what classes and difficulty did you take?
What grades did you earn unweighted?</p>

<p>I am actually taking two of those AP’s this year, but I received all A’s in my other AP’s:</p>

<p>AP US History- 95%
AP Macro Economics- 97%
AP Psychology-99%
AP English Comp-95% </p>

<p>These are my unweighted grades…anything between a 93-100 is an A at my school…our AP classes are also weighted 1.05 so a 95% in an ap class would calculate into your gpa as a 100% but remain a 95 on the report card.</p>

<p>I hope that the admissions committee can look past my SAT’s. I am confident that I did a good job on my application in showing them that I have a passionate interest in my prospective major and that I am a leader who would serve as an asset to the student body at UM. From what I have heard, they look at your application as a whole and besides my SAT, I do not think that there are any other weaknesses that would keep me from getting in.</p>

<p>Your leadership, activities, and athletics should stand over your SAT, which are all above 600 indicating above average ability. From the College Board website, Miami seems to place a high value on:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Character/Personal Qualities- Volunteering in hospitals, Revealed in Recommendations</p></li>
<li><p>Class Rank- reflect having succeeded in AP/Honors classes</p></li>
<li><p>Application Essay- shows your thought processes, intellectual ability, and ability to write clearly and concisely while revealing the writer’s style/personality</p></li>
<li><p>Extracurricular Activities- Philanthropic, Leadership in Intended Major, Scholar, Well-Rounded Athlete </p></li>
</ol>

<p>Miami cares how intelligent prospective freshmen will contribute to the campus community.</p>

<p>The admissions committee may review your ECs and predict:

1. Volunteer in Community, Leader in School of Business, Scholar, Intramural Sports Participant</p>

<p>Thank you! I hope you’re right!</p>

<p>Your SAT’s are kinda low, especially because Miami does not consider the writing portion. You essentially have a 1220, which is just on the bottom average for acceptance. Depending on the strength of this year’s applicant pool, it’s up in the air. </p>

<p>However, SATs are definitely not the only piece of the puzzle.</p>

<p>I honestly would say that you are definitely in. Is it your first choice? Good luck :)</p>

<p>I had a 600 on Math and a 600 on Reading and I got in…but my ACT scores were pretty good but still no where near excellent except that I got a perfect score on the English Portion of the ACT. (But I did weak on Math and Science so I wouldn’t focus on that)</p>

<p>You are a MUCH better candidate than I was and I got in last year EA.</p>

<p>Yes, UM is my first choice, but I felt that I had a better chance getting in EA rather than ED. I think it basically will come down to whether or not they can look past my SAT. I’m not sure what the avg SAT score for a business student would be, but I’m guessing it would be lower than students in the marine bio program and the engineering school? </p>

<p>Thank you very much though for your input! I hope I get in!</p>

<p>Bummmpppppp</p>

<p>Hi. Please Chance me.
I go to A Private High School
Prep High school
I would like to attend University of Miami
Gpa -2.61 freshman year
Extra Curricular Activities
Track
Tennis
Musical
Show choir
Mission Club
Volunteer At Hospital so far 16 hours
Volunteer at The red Cross volunteer
Cancer Society volunteer
Volunteered at a Musical play at my school
outside activity mayors youth commission
This year my sophomore year
So far… activities + I’m in Choir</p>

<p>Mission club
Miracle Makers
Show Choir
Aware
My gpa is very low you think i have a chance? so far?"
I’m thinking of transfering to a public school to get my gpa higher?</p>

<p>i dont want to give my opinion on if i think you will get in our not because i think only the admissions commitee has the right to decide that, but as far as GPA, i think it depends on how hard to your private school is because i go to private school as well and people have been accepted with 77 avgs. definitely work to get that up tho so that you are a more competitive candidate when you apply</p>

<p>For EA, does anyone know if they also take into account first semester senior grades?</p>

<p>I’m actually from the area, which high school do you attend?</p>

<p>I’m in the West Chester School District…</p>

<p>Anyone else on my chances?</p>

<p>620CR (30 above 25%, 60 below 75%)
600M (20 below 25%)
3.83GPA (weighted) (Top GPA margin)
Top 10% (top ranking margin)</p>

<p>Do you know if your school reports the GPA weighted or unweighted? Or both? Because UM will consider whatever your school reports. Assuming they only report your weighted GPA, I’d say your probably on the edge, and your EC’s will push you over. If they only report your unweighted GPA (unlikely) then it depends on what your GPA is. If they report both, you should be in unless your unweighted GPA is atrocious. I don’t anticipate that you will get a merit based scholarship.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>I made a mistake…my unweighted is a 3.83 and my weighted is a 3.9…my school only gives .5 points for AP and .25 for honors courses…</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>And my school reports both weighted and unweighted</p>

<p>Agree with rankinr that you are in, but without a merit scholarship. Only about 5 weeks until you find out! Good luck to you.
~Zinc</p>

<p>Thank you very much! I can’t wait till then!</p>

<p>BuBummpppppp</p>