Chances?

<p>I'm male from a competitive high school in New York. I have a 4.2733 weighted GPA (F:4.1, S:4.28, J: 4.44). My school does not calculate unweighted GPA's and does not rank. I have taken accelerated history freshman through junior year and accelerated chemistry junior year, the rest are honors. My senior year schedule includes AP Stats and accelerated Spanish, the rest are honors. I have played football for three years and baseball for all four. I am the president of the engineering club and the Vice President of the Running Club. I also participate in Speech and Debate. I am an active member in my youth group and have volunteered close to 120 hours at a camp, as a tutor, and at Relay for Life. I have my own landscaping business and have worked as an umpire for all four years. My SAT score is a 1920 (M: 710, W: 650, CR: 560). I have visited UM and am applying early action. I plan on applying as undecided business, but I will apply as an undecided major if that would make a big difference. Thanks!</p>

<p>Getting into the business school is no harder or easier than any other school (other than maybe RSMAS?) I think you have a solid chance of admission, though I think your CR is a little low and that may hurt you. I think you may get deferred but have a good shot at ultimately attaining admission,</p>

<p>Okay, thanks. Anyone else?</p>

<p>Weighted GPAs are tough to evaluate because schools use different methods of weighting. With no class rank or unweighted GPA to go on, we’re left with a combined (M+CR) SAT score of 1270 - excellent on the math, not so good on the reading. Have you taken the SAT multiple times and are those your best scores? Did you take the ACT (if not, why not!). I appreciate how busy you are with sports, volunteerism, clubs and running a business - and perhaps all that extra-curricular activity will pull you up. But, with just 1 AP course in total, it may be interpreted as a softer academic schedule than you could have chosen. I don’t know if by accelerated course you mean AP or IB?</p>

<p>I also don’t think it matters which major you choose to apply under, as many students go in undecided and many others change majors between application and their arrival in the fall. UM makes it very easy to change majors (with a possible exception of Frost School of Music).</p>

<p>Based on what you’ve shared above, I’d say UM is not a lock for admission, especially if the SAT/ACT scores of the applicant pool keeps going up.</p>

<p>If you’ve only taken the SAT once and haven’t taken the ACT at all - sign up for both in December!</p>

<p>I just got my SAT scores back from October and those are the best scores that I have had. I have taken the ACT and got a 27 and I’m retaking it on Saturday. At my school the levels are standard, honors, accelerated, and AP. Should I classify UM as a reach then?</p>

<p>Hey, I think you are on the lower side for the SAT, but if I were you I’d still take a crack at it. Your GPA is great, and so are your EC’s. Good luck!</p>

<p>Okay thanks. I’m confused about the SAT scores because on college ******* it says that the SAT scores for UM range from 1830-2090. The average of these two is 1960 so wouldn’t my score be close to that?</p>

<p>Refer to the UM freshman profile:</p>

<p>[Freshman</a> Applicants | Undergraduate Admission | University of Miami](<a href=“http://www.miami.edu/admission/index.php/undergraduate_admission/apply/freshman/]Freshman”>Undergraduate Admission | University of Miami)</p>

<p>I can tell you right now (and so can admissions officers), they only look at the 2 part (math and verbal). You have a 1270 which, according to the freshman profile, will put you at the low end of SAT scores. </p>

<p>UM takes the GPA straight from your school, regardless of how it’s weighted. So you’d have a 4.27, a bit higher than the average. I’m not sure about early action, but if you can get your SAT scores up to 1300+, I’d say you have a fairly attractive resume.</p>

<p>Agree with Gator…get the SAT up to maybe 1300-1350 or the ACT up 30 and you’d be a lock for acceptance (in my opinion). As you stand now, it may be a waitlist, depending on the rest of the EA applicant pool.</p>

<p>Okay thanks!</p>