Chance me - Purdue University

Nigerian student applying for Philosophy Undergrad
Academics:
UW Cumulative GPA: 3.2 W:3.4
SAT scores are 1610 CR:580 Math:550 Writing:480 (Taking it again in January and will study this time so will do a lot better)
I did poorly Freshman & Sophomore year: 2.9GPA(no classes with weight were offered)
Junior Year I was more serious and had a 3.3 UW and a 3.6W that year
Accelerated courses junior year were Chemistry Honors and IB English SL
Senior year my GPA during the first trimester is 3.65 UW and 4.2W
My courses this year are Honors Scientific Research (an honors science class with an AP credit), IB Environmental Systems and Societies, IB English, Honors Comparative government, Pre-Calculus, and Physics
My GPA is pretty low but my grades have a very positive trend.
I moved to my new school junior year and so my class rank is high likely top 20%-15%
Activities:
Soccer Ball Boy for Junior Varsity Boys, Varsity Girls, and Varsity Boys
Varsity Track and Field 9th & 10th Grade
Junior Varsity Rugby 9th & 10th Grade
Varsity Rugby 11th & 12th Grade (Captain)
Multicultural Club 11th&12th Grade
Community Service for an NGO for homeless children
JV Soccer School Manager
Honors:
Special Recognition Junior Varsity Rugby 10th Grade
Honor Roll Certificate 1st semester of 10th Grade (International School Manila)
Honor Roll Certificate All three trimesters of 11th Grade (North Broward Preparatory School)
Highest Honor Roll Certificate 1st trimester of 12th grade
French 3 Highest Achievement Award Junior Year

My situation is weird because of the trend of my grades.

Also my weighted cumulative GPA at this school is 3.75 so my class rank will also be pretty high.

I’d say you have a good chance

I don’t do chances, but I know you are hoping someone will respond. Your GPA and SATs are pretty low, and there is not a lot of time to improve that for this year. Look at the Purdue website for average stats, though, maybe for your intended field of study it’s not too low. You should receive a decision within a few weeks of applying, so assuming you already applied, it should not be long.

Overall average high school class rank: Top 16%

Middle 50% high school GPA range: 3.5-4.0

Middle 50% SAT range: 1630-1950

bump

bump

see my response above.

bump

Accepted!

@nigeriamanila: Congratz. Did you do better on your latest SAT test? Hope to see you on campus!

I actually got a 1660 on this one but I was admitted prior to receiving the scores. Thanks a lot though!