Chance Me! / Questions and Concerns

Hi @Gumbymom

so I got admitted in Cal Poly SLO for business admin (really shocked, considering my circumstances. I wonder how they accepted me! The CSU application does not have an essay/additional info section anywhere)

i checked my portal yesterday afternoon and there is a one-liner, it says “Congrats you’ve been admitted to Cal Poly for your intended major.” there is also new information in my portal.

Do you know if there may have been a factor that made them accept me? B/c solely based on my academic rigor, it is nowhere near Cal Poly’s standards. Though I have been maintaining strong grades since freshman yr…it just doesn’t add up.

Congratulations!!!

Cal Poly SLO uses MCA points and ranks applicants by these points and major similar to the Eligibility index used by the other CSU’s. The majority of the points comes from test scores and GPA along with course rigor.

If you list your a-g courses 9-12th, your SAT breakdown and your calculated SLO GPA, along with hours of EC’s/week. I can calculate your MCA points and how you compared to other Business Admin majors.

SLO GPA is 9-11th grades with a cap of 8 honors points for UC approved Honors, AP, IB or DE courses talent 10-11th grades.

Use the rogerhub calculator and just put in your 9-11th grades: https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

My weighted and capped for 9-11th grade is 3.88.

Would really appreciate it if you could calculate my MCA points!

Thank you so much!!

I need the following information:
SAT EBRW and SAT Math
Course rigor and include Senior year.

of semesters of Math including Algebra/Geometry taken in Middle school

of semesters of English

of semesters of Foreign Language including any from Middle school

of semesters of Visual/Performing arts

of hours/week for your EC’s

any leadership?

of hours for a job and if major related.

Oh, wait sorry forgot to do the rest. Here it is:
8th:
Alg 1 A A
Spanish 1 A A

9th:
Geometry Enriched B B
Lit/Writ A B
Spanish 2 A A
Bio A A

10th:
Alg 2 A A
Chem Honors A A
World Literature/Writing A A
World History A A
Spanish 3 A A

11th (weird schedule due to medical complications):
American Lit/Writ B ( )
Novel Short Story ( ) A
Math Analysis A B
US History A A

12th:
AP Stats A ( )
Physics Honors A ( )
Brit Lit A ( )
Gov/Econ A ( )
Art 1 A ( )

TOTAL:
10 semesters of math
8 semesters of English
6 semesters of Language
6 semesters of science
2 semesters of arts

SAT: 1510 (760 English, 750 math)
EC’s: ~2-4 hrs/wk, no job
however, at the time of applying it was near 12 hrs/wk

Thank you again!

I get a 4315 MCA score. I saw some other posters in that range. Best of luck with the rest of your decisions.