Chance Me: Singaporean International Student aiming for T20s

Demographics:
International student from Singapore. Chinese AMAB
I have no family outside of my home country. I’ll be the first person in my family to go to university (that’s first generation, right?)
Currently a HS Junior. 17 years old. So I have 1 more year of HS to stack up my portfolio.

Intended Major(s): Chemistry. NO engineering.
Even if I decide to take a more lucrative degree/career choice, I’ll probably put all my unrestricted electives into Chemistry because that’s my favourite xD

ACT/SAT/SAT II: Haven’t taken any, planning to take it ASAP. I predict 1500ish for SATs though. I’m not sure how the ACTs are like but I think I can do decently well in them.

UW/W GPA and Rank:
My school doesn’t factor AP classes into grades, we’re expected to self-study for them.
Our system is out of 5.0 instead of 4.0, I should be high 4.6/barely 4.7 by the time I graduate next year.
My college counsellor says that my grades should sufficient, despite grade inflation, which caused 4.4-4.5 to be the average GPA upon graduation. I think I’m on the lower end for overseas applications.

Coursework:

• Only took Calc AB with 5
  • Planning to take Calc BC, Stats, Chem, and Physics next cycle. Expecting 4/5/5/5 but I’m trying to get 5 for all.
  • I will have taken two Chemistry courses in NUS (prestigious local university) by the time I graduate.

Awards

• Singapore Chemistry Olympiad Gold 2023
  • Singapore Chemistry League Gold 2023
  • Singapore Junior Chemistry Olympiad Gold 2022 Silver 2021
  • Singapore Math Olympiad (Open) Silver 2022-2023 Bronze 2021
  • Singapore Math Olympiad (Senior) Gold 2021-2022
    Others:
  • Leadership commendation award in 2021 from school.

Extracurriculars: (Exco = executive committee, leadership board)

• Tennis Club: Exco for 2 years, represented school for competitions in 2021-2022.
  • Mental Health Club: Exco for 1 year, VP for 2 years. Helped to run the club, can give examples but too many to say.
  • Chem Club - i helped to plan intraschool events as well as train some members for demonstrations
  • Math club - Helped to create materials for training for olympiads as well as planning events for members in the club/within the school.
  • Research attachment at government organisation (about liquid crystal optics, I plan to go for another research project/internship in 2024.)
  • Various Rubik’s cubes competitions
  • ABRSM Piano Grade 7
  • Was part of the planning team of an unofficial student-led tutoring service in 2021 (discontinued in the same year)
  • ~50 community hours from helping out in various school events

Essays/LORs: Overall, just decent at worst. I don’t know how good they’ll be.

• My college counsellor likes me since I’ve been seeing him early, I think. I am on good terms with a few of the teachers in my school, especially the chemistry teachers. I plan to ask them for recommendation letters.
  • Essays… I’ll start writing them early as per college counsellor’s recommendations.

Others:

• I am diagnosed with Autism and GID, not diagnosed with ADHD but pretty sure I have it. My friends say that I am depressed but I have been coping fine, I think
  • Did I mention that I am trans. I plan to get HRT overseas.
  • Trilingual: Native English, Mother Tongue Chinese (A levels), Foreign Japanese (JLPT N3)

Schools:
Maybe: Cambridge, Oxford, ICL, UC Berkeley, John Hopkin’s, University of Toronto, Waterloo.
Out there: HYPSM (Planning to apply but I don’t expect anything)

List is not exhaustive - please suggest some good fits! Also let me know where my application is lacking overall… I still have one year.

Plans for next year

• Train for IChO (unlikely to make final 4 for the team)
  • Go for another research internship/project
  • Tutor on the side
  • Try to get a 4.7 overall by graduation by doing better in English (got 3.5 in sophomore and junior year)

Thank you for reading!

Technically, yes. But the “first gen” designation is used for U.S. applicants. I’m unaware of any school that provides a boost to international first gen applicants.

This does not make any difference to your admission chances.

You appear to be a strong candidate but the schools on your list have very low acceptance rates, especially for international students.

You’ve left out a very important piece: how much can you afford to pay for college? What is your 4 year budget?

Without this information we cannot suggest additional schools to apply to.

Also, keep in mind that after graduation you will be expected to return to Singapore unless you find a sponsoring employer (not easy for chemistry majors), or go on to graduate school for a PhD.

2 Likes

Essays/LORs: Overall, just decent at worst. I don’t know how good they’ll be.

My college counsellor likes me since I’ve been seeing him early, I think. I am on good terms with a few of the teachers in my school, especially the chemistry teachers. I plan to ask them for recommendation letters.

it is often suggested that one gets two LOR, one from a STEM teacher and one from a humanities teacher.

Essays… I’ll start writing them early as per college counsellor’s recommendations.

start now. You can start a word document with some ideas, and expand on them when you feel like it. One of those might jump out to you as a great essay topic

I am diagnosed with Autism and GID, not diagnosed with ADHD but pretty sure I have it. My friends say that I am depressed but I have been coping fine, I think

I’ll encourage you to spread your wings…but be sure that being way far away from home and your support system there will work for you

Did I mention that I am trans. I plan to get HRT overseas.

how do you plan to pay for this? It’s not free. If all you get is college health insurance, you might find this isn’t covered. Also check where you are applying as some states are making this difficult to do.

Schools:
Maybe: Cambridge, Oxford, ICL, UC Berkeley, John Hopkin’s, University of Toronto, Waterloo.
Out there: HYPSM (Planning to apply but I don’t expect anything)

you can take Berkeley off of your list unless you are able to be a full pay student. No need based aid will be offered to you…and any merit is highly competitive

From Hopkins:

Need-based and merit scholarships are available for international applicants, although both types of assistance are limited. If you anticipate needing any financial assistance throughout your four years at Hopkins, you must apply for financial aid as a first-year applicant.

As noted…until we have your actual budget your parents can spend…we really can’t make suggestions.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.