Chance Me-TAMU

Application Date: 10/16/17
GPA and Class Rank: 98.3; HS is non-ranking but is one of, if not the most competitive in the state (cutoff for top 10% was around a 107)
ACT Composite: 28
SAT: 1300
College applied for: College of Education & Human Development
Major in that College: Sports Management
ECs: Baseball(4 years, 3 on Varsity, named 2nd team all-district and academic all-district junior yr, named Captain for Senior season+club baseball), Mu Alpha Theta, NHS, 2 jobs, and over 60 hrs of volunteer work, 4 APs
Did you do all 3 essays: Yes
What is your highlight that you feel will make you stand out in the review process? ECs, Grades, and Test Scores
In state/Out of State: In State
Current Status on AIS: Completed and Under Review

Additional info: took a pretty rigorous course load with 4 APs total and several Pre-APs. Mom was an Aggie (Class of '85)

What do you think my chances of full acceptance are? And how does the non-ranking factor into my decision?

@blud15 - It looks like you will be a review-admit because of your test scores. You have great scores, but they are just shy of academic-admit, which are SAT 1360, ACT 30, and top 25% of your class. Even if your school doesn’t rank, TAMU will assign you a rank based on your school’s profile. Your ECs are good and relate to your major, which is a plus, and you completed essay C.

Some people around here have said that TAMU takes into consideration the “competitiveness” of high school regarding rank. I’m not so sure about that because the whole point is to compare students with their peers who have the same opportunities in the same learning environment. Anyway… I think you have a good chance of full acceptance or Blinn-Team based on your stats, choice of college/major, and the “factors” TAMU looks at in a review-admit.

Here is what they look for in a review-admit candidate (straight from TAMU webpage):

"Factors considered:

*academic achievements - class rank and SAT and/or ACT scores as well as completion of Texas A&M’s required coursework

*personal achievements - involvement in extracurricular activities, community service, leadership, employment and summer activities as well as any talents, awards and honors

*information shared in essays - Essays A and B are required. The optional essay is recommended for applicants who fall into the holistic review.

*the complete applytexas application including the optional “Additional Personal Information” shoebox question

Applicants who are high achieving in all areas are most competitive for admission. Students admitted through the holistic review process are expected to be successful academically at Texas A&M, as well as bring qualities and insights that will enrich the student body of the university."

Best wishes to you!!