Chance Me; UC's

Please chance me, I also copied this outline to make it easier

Objective
[ *] SAT I (breakdown): 1450 (770 math, 680 ELA)
[ *] ACT: 29 (32,33,25,27), didn’t submit
[ *] SAT II: 700 bio m, (took before ap bio)
[ *] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.75 (9-12)
[ *] Weighted GPA: 4.18 (9-12)
[ *] UC GPA: i think 4.05 (10-11)
[ *] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): like 50/high 600’s
[ *] ELC?: i think so
[ *] AP (place score in parenthesis): lang (4), AP psych (4), AP spanish (3)
[ *] IB (place score in parenthesis): n/a
[ *] Senior Year Course Load: AP Lit, AP calc ab, AP bio, gov/econ, ceramics
[ *] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): none
[ *] Awards: ap scholar, honor roll, church youth awards, homecoming top5

Subjective
[ *] Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): american cancer society secretary 12th grade, health club, youth society board member at church
[ *] Job/Work Experience: n/a
[ *] Volunteer/Community service: american cancer society 9-12, hospital volunteer (11th grade), library volunteer (summer before 12)
[ *] Personal Statement: talked about volunteering mostly, interest for medicine

Other
[ *] Applied for Financial Aid?: yes
[ *]Intended Major: bio and psych related majors
[ *] State (if domestic applicant): CA, but born in AZ
[ *] Country (if international applicant): murica
[ *] School Type: public, orange county
[ *] Ethnicity: white
[ *] Gender: male
[ *] Income Bracket: 100k
[ *] Hooks (URM, first generation college, research, etc.): white privelege

Chance me for UCLA, UCSD, UCSB, UCI,

@Gumbymom can probably be a lot more helpful than me. Ur SAT score is pretty damn good and ur GPA is within range for all the UCs but not necessarily on target for the top UCs (UCLA and UCB). UCs care a lot more about GPA than test scores so ur GPA would need to be a bit higher if u wanna be a little more competitive for the top UCs. I’d say UCI and UCSB are matches. UCSD is becoming increasingly difficult and UCLA is a reach.

U say u think ur ELC. Did it say on ur UC application that ur within the top 9% of ur class/ state? if so, then u r ELC.

Your SAT is very competitive for all the UC’s on your list. UC GPA a bit low for the top UC’s so UCLA can be a tough admit. Below are the UC GPA admit rates and 25th-75th percentile for each campuses SAT ranges. Just based on your stats only, since EC’s and essays will contribute to your chances I would say:

UCLA: Reach
UCSD: High Match-Low Reach
UCI/UCSB: Match-High Match

Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19:

UCB: 14%
UCLA: 14%
UCSD: 44%
UCSB: 54%
UCD: 58%
UCI: 65%
UCSC: 85%
UCR: 94%
UCM: 96%

25th - 75th percentiles for SAT:

UCB: 1280-1490

UCLA: 1280-1500
UCSD: 1250-1470
UCSB: 1210- 1450
UCD: 1190-1430
UCI: 1190-1420
UCSC: 1170-1380
UCR: 1090-1310
UCM: 1020-1230

How UC’s review applicants:

• IRVINE
  •   Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Extracurricular activities, Level of applicant's interest, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience

•   Important: Character/personal qualities, Class rank

•   Considered: First generation college student, Geographical residence, State residency

•   Note: Demonstrated record of academic preparation, educational engagement, talent and skills important.

• LOS ANGELES
  •   Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores

•   Important: Character/personal qualities, Extracurricular activities, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience

•   Considered: First generation college student, Geographical residence

•   Note: GPA, test scores, course work, number of and performance in honors and AP courses most important. Essay considered. Strong senior program important. Extracurricular activities, awards and honors also reviewed. 

• SAN DIEGO

• Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores
  • Important: Character/personal qualities, Extracurricular activities, First generation college student, State residency, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience
  • Note: High school course pattern, GPA, essay and test scores most important. Admission for out-of-state applicants more selective than for residents.

• SANTA BARBARA

• Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores
  • Considered: Character/personal qualities, Class rank, Extracurricular activities, First generation college student, Level of applicant's interest, State residency, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience
  • Note: Eligibility established by high school GPA, course requirement, and SAT scores. Special consideration for disadvantaged students.

Best of luck and hopefully you have some solid Match and Safety schools on your list.

thank you, and i found out that I am ELC.
This should guarantee me 1 UC right?

You are guaranteed a spot at UC Merced which is the default campus if you are not admitted to any of your choice campuses.

I think UCI will take you for sure. I would say waitlist for UCSB and undeclared or waitlist at UCSD. With the application numbers this year, we’re all in for a rough ride.

you are a competitive applicant for all the UCs.

@Gumbymom I didn’t apply to merced, can i get guarantee at other UC?

Some times UC Riverside may offer ELC eligible applicants a spot if room is available. You do not need to apply to UC Merced to get an admission offer. If you are not accepted to any UC’s you applied, your application will be automatically forwarded to UC Merced. You do not get to choose the ELC default campus.

So I can get into Merced w/o applying?
Also how good is leadership?
I forgot to mention but I am part of student council

Yes, if not accepted to any UC’s applied, UC admissions will forward your application to Merced. It should not come to that point since UCI and UCSB are very possible. Leadership positions will help.

i would suggest you apply directly to Merced if that is your fall back plan. The UC system is hedging a bit more on ELC every year.

the deadline is already done

so can I get into atleast UCSD?

You have a decent chance at UCSD but definitely not a guarantee. UCI and UCSB are more likely but UC’s can be unpredictable so that is why it is always in your best interests to apply widely. UCSD/UCLA and UCSB had a record # of applicants this year, so the competition only continues to get harder.

also does major affect decision at UC’s?

Yes, major can determine your chances at the UC’s such as STEM majors can be very competitive. It also depends upon how the University admits into the specific major, into the specific college or into the University in general.

I think UCI will probably come thru for you. I suspect you will end up dealing with wait list nightmare on UCSB and UCSD. I hope I’m wrong, but you seem on the bubble GPA wise for those two.

I also think you have a good shot at UCI, which is solid for most bio majors.
UCSB can probably accept you, but UCSD might not. UCLA is a reach