Chance of getting into UCSC or Cal Poly SLO

• US domestic *(US.citizen
  • State/Location of residency: CA non local.to.SLO
  • Type of high school CA
  • Gender/Race/Ethnicity (optional):.immigrant but not hispanic
  • Other special factors (first generation to college, legacy, athlete, etc.): no

**Intended Major(s)
UCSC bio SLO nutrition

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.89
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): 4.15 capped UC
  • College GPA (for transfers):
  • Class Rank: 90 out of 500
  • ACT/SAT Scores: none

Coursework
(AP/IB/Dual Enrollment classes, AP/IB scores for high school; also include level of math and foreign language reached and any unusual academic electives; for transfers, describe your college courses and preparation for your intended major(s))
10 AP/Honors

Awards

Extracurriculars
(Include leadership, summer activities, competitions, volunteering, and work experience)

EC.very.good

I would say pretty good for UCSC. Did you calculate your CalPoly 9-11 GPA?

For BA/BS Biology, UCSC admit rates were around 67% for folks with a GPA in the 4.1-4.19 range. You could probably get a more accurate estimate if you use your fully weighted uncapped UC GPA and check against the admission funnel dashboard.

https://iraps.ucsc.edu/iraps-public-dashboards/student-demand/admissions-funnel.html

Cal Poly SLO uses a different GPA calculation: 9-11th a-g course grades with an 8 semester Honors cap for UC approved Honors, AP, IB or DE courses taken 10-11th grades.

Nutrition is found in the College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Science with a Middle 50% GPA range of 3.94 - 4.25. I would put SLO as a Target school.

UCSC would be a Target/High Target school based on the Capped weighted GPA along with admit rate for Biology 42-52% (2022).

I’m not a SLO expert. Are you sure she can take all of her pre-med courses as a nutrition major?

[quote=“lkg4answers, post:4, topic:3631041”]I
’m not a SLO expert. Are you sure she can take all of her pre-med courses as a nutrition major
[/quote]

As per SLO it can be done.

1 Like

Cal Poly 9-11 GPA is 4.19 as per the application.

Her PIQs for UC were very good: touched on institutional priorities and showed she was a well rounded individual.

Thanks SLO GPA is 4.19 as per the application.

I figured she was a better chance for UCSC as her PIQs painted a good picture of her as being well rounded and matching UC priorities of interest in social well being etc.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.