chances at uw madison

Hello there! I applied to UW through the early action program and sent in my application in mid october. I visited last winter and fell in love. It is my first choice school. I have recently been accepted into Syracuse University, UMass Amherst, and indiana university but am still waiting to hear back from wisconsin as well as penn state (although wisconsin is my #1)
I have a 3.5 weighted (3.3 unweighted)
28 ACT
currently enrolled in 4 ap classes (as a junior took 4 as well)
have been on varsity tennis for three years
president/founder of a community service club
If anyone has any information about whether or not I have a chance at wisconsin,as well as when I could hear back it would be greatly appreciated.

Are you OOS or In-State? Your ACT is a bit below the average for OOS (30), but you UW GPA is very far from the average (3.85).

I would say Wisconsin is leaning on the side of a reach for you

As someone from Wisconsin, I know a lot of people who attend UW and people who are applying for next year (I also applied Early Action).

I think you have a good number of AP courses for a Madison applicant, but that depends on how many AP courses your school offers. My school offers 6 ish AP classes, and I think most successful Madison applicants take 4-6 of them.

I think your extracurricular leadership also sounds good, but it would be ideal if you’re involved in more than just that one community service club. Also, are you good enough at tennis to be recruited to play for the UW?

I think that your biggest weaknesses as an applicant will be your GPA and ACT score. Their admissions website says that:

While your ACT score is a little on the low side, I think it’s still doable based on this other quote from their admissions site:

Overall, I think you have a good shot of being admitted, but your GPA and test scores could be sticking points.

thank you so much for the words of advice! I am in fact a member of many clubs. I am apart of the publicity chair in my schools SGA, as well as part of SOME (so others may eat) which volunteers biweekly in the dc metropolitan area. I just thought the club that I created and ran my junior and senior year was most important (Im most invested in it). I also have played the piano for 11 years and often accompany my schools orchestra. Thank you for your perspective…my counselor has said Wisconsin is in between a target and a reach leaning towards reach and that seems to be what you’re saying too. Fingers crossed and thanks again!

cme123, do you have any hooks?

@JBStillFlying what do you mean by hooks?

URM, first generation to attend college, athletic recruit, etc. anything that would give you special consideration.

Your grades are rather low and they will not be offset by extracurricular activities. The only help would be stellar grades junior year. You are expected to do well in rigorous courses. This is necessary to have the knowledge base and study skills to succeed at UW.

Your stats are a bit on the low side but you have a good chance. Side note, I was accepted last year and had excellent grades. Even with a really good grades, I got VERY little financial aid ( i also come from a low income family) so I would prepare yourself in case that happens

I am out of state btw (in regards to my previous post)

@vicky268 I see. Thank you! I am out of state as well and dying to hear back. Penn State is my second choice and is a target/safety so we will see! Just really crossing my fingers on wisco:) I didn’t apply for any financial aid or complete a FAFSA because my parents said we would be fine without it (just want that acceptance letter)