Chances for UW Mil Occupational Therapy bs/ms program

<p>I apologize for posting this in Madison's forum, but Milwaukee does not have one.
I've already posted this in the What are my chances forum with no luck although that may change. </p>

<p>I'm already a student at UWM, intended major is Kinesiology, but would like to do Occupational Therapy.</p>

<p>Cum gpa 3.1, upward trend
Uwm gpa 2.64
Pre Req 2.5 (need to complete 3 courses with 1 in progress)</p>

<p>I've completed the 70 hrs required through a relative that has been disabled my whole life, and from work where I interact with some disabled citizens. </p>

<p>Now I've spoken with the adviser, twice, for the program and when we first meet I was informed that I need to repeat two courses in which I got a C, and C+ in. Earlier this week I emailed her again and was told that they now discourage students from repeating courses and will only look at the first grade for the pre req gpa. This is backwards from the university's official policy which states the higher grade will be counted in the gpa, but both will be shown in the transcript. I didn't not retake them like she first said.</p>

<p>They only have 35 seats open for the next admission cycle (although it does vary from 30-40 depending on the year) and receive about 80-90 applicants.</p>

<p>No essay that I'm aware of, but I'm praying there is at least one. If there is I plan on writing on my experience of having four concussions, or how my car accident opened my mind to this field as I couldn't walk for about 2 days from soreness. My lor would come from my boss who most likely would have the professor in charge write it based on his, and the site directors comments. I keep hoping to meet him, but I haven't although my boss said he writes some of the best lors</p>

<p>Do I even have a chance? I feel like this program is popular because of the bs/ms aspect of it. The adviser did tell me that they started the required 70 hrs of being in a disability environment because of students deciding it isn't for them after the first semester of courses.</p>

<p>Check with UWM on their typical admissions stats. You may not be competitive with your gpa- you need a solid foundation in prerequisites to do well in courses. It doesn’t hurt to apply but do not count on the program accepting you.</p>

<p>Last time I checked it (2 months ago) was a 3.5, but the year prior it was a 3.3 this was not just pre req either I believe. That’s why I went looking on public forums to see if any students posted their stats so I could get a more accurate idea of what chance I have.</p>

<p>I also don’t know if I can trust the adviser if she originally told me to retake courses, but is now telling me they discourage it. I get that this can change within 2 months, but does this mean the 3.5 gpa is with students repeating one course, or a few? If I think about it in this light it would explain why they have a 83.3% pass rate unless they really aren’t teaching that well. I don’t know maybe I’m just staying optimistic for myself.</p>

<p>All you can do is make another appoinment and discuss things further. We can’t answer your questions and nothing we say will change your chances.</p>