Chances getting into Texas A&M?

Yes, hopefully new Business Complex building is on time for Fall 2024 expansion. Taking more APs in Junior year will help boost ranking. Applicants can use senior year to take CTE or Business classes they are interested in as senior grades and ranking are not used in admission process (except honors/scholarship/appeals)

1 Like

That’s interesting your school didn’t start publishing rank till junior year. At our hs freshman orientation, students were told “you must be top 10% to go to tamu” (not exactly true lol) and then everyone was given their rank beginning first semester, 9th grade. We are 5a, north of Houston. I think there would have been a mutiny if no one knew what their rank was till junior year! The competition started early…

Oh wow; @Eggscapgoats that’s crazy!! We’re KatyISD, and it definitely wasn’t until start of junior year, I guess? We knew gpa, but not rank. Definitely made that junior year critical, to make the highest grades possible, and kill it on PSAT, SAT & ACT, take as many AP as possible that year.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation of how important “AP” classes are to A&M Admissions. My son attends a large private school which has advanced and honors classes, and only one AP class. He has taken entirely honors science classes and honors history / english. His GPA is calculated by the school giving more weight to the advanced/ honors classes. In other words if a child gets a high B in the advanced class the GPA gives him same points as an A in a regular class, etc. Now, whether or not A&M looks at his transcript is is aware that there are ‘easy’ classes at his school and recognizes that he has opted for ‘advanced’ classes, I don’t know. I was starting to think that if a class didn’t say ‘AP’ then A&M didn’t consider it rigorous despite the fact that it is. I find their admissions to be not very transparent.

My son took zero AP credit. Took 12 hours dual credit. AP is offered heavily at his high school. It didn’t hurt him except that his decision came in December and mays was full. His rank was 14%

They look at the whole student. I feel they are pretty transparent in that regard. There is a high freshman retention rate which shows they are admitting the right kind of student. Transferring into Tamu is easier that freshman admit based on sheer volume.

Hang in there.

2 Likes

Good to know, thanks.

Last year when my son was filling out his SRAR, I want to say that classes could be labelled as either on level or honors or DC or AP, right? So tamu knows that your son took honors classes, as long as SRAR was filled out that way. Hope this helps

2 Likes