Chances me switching my major to Economics with Mathematical Emphasis major at UW Madison

Hi all,
I get admitted to the College of Letters and Science at UWM as a pre-business student lately (international transfer). My intended major is Finance but I am worried that I will unable to get in as there is no clear data/ percentage shows the chance to get into the Business department. Therefore, my backup plan is to major in Economics with Mathematical Emphasis. However, does anyone know what is the chance of changing my major to the Econ department? Like, do I need to have a good GPA or take a test, like for the Business department, in order to switch to majoring in Econ? Thanks

First- the Madison campus is just UW. Milwaukee gets the M.

No problem with an economics major in L&S. By mathematical emphasis I presume you intend to take many math courses. Again- can easily be done.

Thanks for the clarification!

The business school accepts 40-60% of students who apply while attending UW, meaning not hs seniors. 3.3-3.9 mid gpa range. They also look for involvement in business organizations, a strong resume, and essay. I learned this while visiting in early March. As a pre-business student you may apply the spring of your freshman year and find out if you got in by July. If you stick with L&S, you can easily change majors as you aren’t required to declare until spring of sophomore year. L&S is the largest college on campus and it’s very flexible when changing academic paths before you are actually declaring your major as a sophomore.

Declaring a major sophomore year??? “Required”? Can change/add majors until graduation so plans are never “etched in stone”. Just look at degree requirements for majors of interest so you take the required courses in a timely fashion. Otherwise it could take more semesters to complete requirements for a major. Also note that written rules about prerequsites et al can in practice be more flexible. You will have a human advisor to help you navigate the system.