Chances of a Comp Sci Transfer

<p>Looking to transfer to Virginia Tech from NVCC. About to start my last Semester of Sophomore year, but I will have to take one class over summer to graduate on time (switched majors midway through 1st Semester)</p>

<p>Cum GPA: 3.14</p>

<p>Pros:
- I am a Volunteer Firefighter/EMT at a local department (Started January 2012)
- I had an unpaid internship at a Cybersecurity Government Contractor
- I am a founding member of a Debate and Forensics club at one of the smaller NVCC Campuses
- I am a founding member of a Computer Science Interest Group (nothing big here, just a small pre-club group)
- I live in Virginia
- My GPA has been increasing every semester and I have a B in both Calc Classes and an A in my most recent Advanced Computer Science class
- My brother graduated Tech in 2007</p>

<p>Cons:
- 3.1 GPA
- I am unable to get the Guaranteed Admissions agreement due to two C's, one in my first Comp Sci class I ever took, and one in a Biology class freshman year as I pulled myself together
- I'm sure from what I HAVEN'T listed you can think of a few more cons</p>

<p>I know I may be a reach for VT but I am really, really, hoping I get in as it is a dream of mine. I found Computer Science to be very tough though (I'm a Liberal Arts type of guy) but I have persevered through and I am hoping to show this on my personal statement. I'm a strong writer.</p>

<p>So with my volunteer experience and some of my EC's do you think I will be admitted to tech? Even if it's simply general acceptance to the school and not the Engineering program i'll take that too.</p>

<p>I have no idea. As you know you are not eligible for guaranteed admission. But, if you received a C in one CS class and found the next class to be very tough why do you want to major in CS? You mentioned that you are a liberal arts kind of guy. If so, is a math-intensive major in the engineering school really for you?</p>

<p>Absolutely. Being a fan of liberal arts studies does not mean that I lack the capabilities to major in a technical degree. In fact I don’t see the point in going to college if you are not majoring in a STEM subject these days. </p>

<p>I found the first CS class difficult and got a C in that class, but at the advanced class I received an A. I’ve also gotten A’s or B’s in all Calc classes so far. </p>

<p>So to answer your question, yes, I’m simply not your stereotypical CS or Engineering major is what I meant to portray by that.</p>

<p>Now with all that said VT is still a reach for me. It’s on me to have focused more on school and less outside of it but it is what is.</p>

<p>There are many fans of engineering or CS subjects who are perfectly capable of majoring (with high grades) in liberal arts studies. But it’s a different issue altogether whether they should major in a subject for which they do not have much interest. I guess I was wondering from your “liberal arts kind of guy” comment whether you were actually interested in STEM or just pursuing it in order to enhance your employment opportunities. Have you also considered Pamplin College of Business?</p>

<p>No not really, my other options are George Mason and James Madison. I have the required GPA for both Guaranteed Agreements with my CC. I haven’t thought about Pamplin at all? Is it worth the money?</p>

<p>Oh you meant the college of business at Tech…no, I’m sorry Computer Science is where my heart is. I like what I’m learning and I’d like to finish degree in it.</p>