Chances of getting in? (older than your avg. student)

<p>I'm trying to find out what my chances of getting in are. I'm 34, never taken the SATs, a USAF veteran, and I went to the art institute of dallas. I'm trying to get into the Visualization major. Since I went to the AiD (I strongly urge everyone to ignore that the art institutes even exist - trust me), I never took my SATs. I haven't taken an actual Math course since 1994 or so. I'm trying to brush up on my math skills with several books before I take my SATs in Dec. After doing the online practice SAT, I scored a 470 in Math, 690 in CR and 630 in writing. I can easily boost my reading and writing scores. I skipped at least half of the practice math section because when I was in school, we were only required to take 2 courses (Algebra and Geometry). In high school, my GPA was 4.02, although I graduated low in class rank (lower half). How much will that affect me in getting in?</p>

<p>I have an appointment for the local prospective student center in 2 weeks as well as a visit to the campus that same week. I'm sure I can do extremely well on my essays based on my life experiences, but I'm more worried about my grades in the past.</p>

<p>Will I possibly have a chance of actually getting in if I can boost my math scores up? Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!</p>

<p>Visualization is a tough major to get accepted to. Honestly, maybe the most selective at A&M.</p>

<p>I’m not worried about getting into the curriculum I choose. ;)</p>

<p>I have a strong portfolio and I can/will be putting more into it. I’m worried about getting accepted in TAMU more than anything else. Once I get my foot in the door, I have no issues.</p>

<p>I should also note that my father is a TAMU legacy as well.</p>

<p>Viz is very difficult to get into. As derekallen2009 said, it is very selective and there is a small number admitted. However, you are not an average student trying to gain admission. I believe you will be considered differently as a non-traditional student.
I am so glad you are going to the prospective student center. They will tell you what you need to do. Math is very important in Viz. the PSC will tell you how to go about getting the best math score.
If I were you, I would also make an appointment to visit the Architecture College - Visulization dept. Take your portfolio. It is an awesome program. LOTS OF WORK!
My daughter is in the college of architecture - environmental design - and in 2009 they were trying to recruit more into Viz. We took a look at the program, and she decided to stick with environmental design. A friends daughter transferred into Viz from Mays. Basically started over with her degree plan. She had one year in Mays and would have graduated in 3 total years. Transferring to Viz, she lost that first year and because of how Architecture studio’s go, it will take her 4 full years in Viz. So mom & dad went from paying for 3 years of college to 5. I know it will be worth it though. </p>

<p>“they say” that there are no legacy admissions at A&M. The question is right there on the application though. “Did your father go to A&M? what class?” “Did your mother go to A&M? what class?” Can’t help but believe it has some consideration. </p>

<p>I wish you the best of luck. Please report back as to what the PSC tells you.</p>

<p>I don’t understand what the problem is then? Getting into A&M generally is easy, getting into Viz isn’t. If you have Viz on lock then A&M should be a piece of cake really. Math is huge with Viz, they want the John Lasseters of the world. Lol</p>

<p>Do you have anything online that can be seen? I usually go to the department’s events. Vizagogo every year and one or two others…Otherwise, GL.</p>

<p>The “problem” is being accepted. I’ve done a lot over there years and won a few awards for some pretty big GUI competitions. My online portfolio is lacing mostly because of NDAs and such. I’m not worried about getting in Viz. I’m worried about getting admitted into A&M due to my poor grades and class rank; not to mention my 15 years of being out of any real learning classes & no SAT scores (as of right now).</p>

<p>I do thank everyone for the help so far. I’ll continue to post in here about any coming updates I may have. Any further insights for other posters will be helpful as well. ;)</p>