Chances of Getting in to Texas A&M

hi, I’m a junior in high school and I wanted to know my chances of getting into Texas A&M. I am an out of state student, but go to one of the top 60 schools in the country. My school districts have not done class rankings in 16 years, but if I were to guess I’d be in the top 20-25% of my class. My unweighted GPA is 3.61, but my weighted is 4.72. By the time I have finished high school (if I stay on track with my goals), I will have taken 12 AP classes, passing all with a 4 or higher, 3 AS or A-Level classes, and three Dual Enrollment classes. I am the Editor in Cheif of my school’s literary magazine, and I am in English, Maths, Science, and French Honor Society. As well, I am the treasurer for my GSA and help run a small nonprofit tutoring service with my friend. I speak 4 languages, though I doubt that’s part of the selection process. My English SAT score is 640, and my math is 710, though I plan on retaking it in December. . most of my volunteer hours are logged at the local library. As well, for my AP Biology course, I did a research project studying the relation of Seagrass Growth to the pH level of the seawater, which was directly tied to the water’s proximity to the main pollution centers of my area. I plan on applying to the college of engineering or the college of Agriculture, as I want to pursue either GMO synthesis or water turbine engineering later in life.

Your stats are impressive and yes, I think speaking multiple languages will set you a part so definitely address that in the essay.

1350 isn’t a bad score but for engineering, we’ve seen majority of high 1300s to 1500s. So yes, take it again. If you were to choose ag route, I think you will have no issue getting into Tamu. Engineering is different every year, but also extremely competitive. Your ranking and gpa won’t stand out.

With all of your AP credits… please listen to your advisors and Do some research on what you should accept. Going in as a sophomore can be limiting on what you can take as a first year student.

thank you so much for the advice, this was actually really helpful. I’ll keep the AP advice in mind.

I know I’m late to the conversation but the best advise I can offer is to apply the day the application opens. This will insure the college understands how interested you are to attend. Also, a single page essay is what we were told. Don’t ramble on, just find a niche and prove your point. My son has zero social media and wrote about getting through high school without it. It must have worked because his stats were similar to yours and he was accepted in October. Best of luck!

1 Like

@Ptexmom agree…definitely submit complete application in August!
My student-auto admit-didn’t submit everything until mid August (away at camp), but still got 1st day Housing time slot.
I scratch my head at those that wait until November or December to apply???
@calpykelp very important to submit in August, especially being OOS. Definitely mention your research work, volunteer hours and speaking 4 languages.

Delete (can’t figure out how from my phone)