Chances of getting into Texas A&M?

<p>I am going into my senior year in late August and I want to apply ASAP. Does anyone know when we can start applying? Well here is my info</p>

<p>Rank: 120/540 (top 20%)
GPA: 3.2</p>

<p>SAT: 1720, CR+Math= 1120</p>

<p>8 AP Classes- 10 by graduation</p>

<p>AP Scores:
Human Geography- 3
Government- 2
World History- 3
Art History- 4
US History- 5
Spanish Lang.- 4
European History- 4
English Lang.- 4</p>

<p>AP Scholar with Distinction
National Forensics League
National Honor Society
Ambassador for National Society for High School Scholars
National Beta Club
CYLC Alumni</p>

<p>I really have little to none service hours, which is something I need to work on. But if I am applying early, I would really need to get the hours this summer no?</p>

<p>What are my chances? how can I improve so my chances increase?</p>

<p>You need a 1300 CR+Math and be in the top 25% of your class to qualify for an academic admit. </p>

<p>Right now it’s really too late to improve your grades. TAMU most likely will not ask for an updated transcript as they do not usually give admissions decisions to review applicants until December or after. </p>

<p>Hate to burst your bubble but they won’t care how many AP classes you’ve taken. They believe that the rigor of your high school record will be reflected in your GPA and class rank. So basically all of your AP scores are completely irrelevant to you being admitted…</p>

<p>You can get as many awards or service hours as you want, but ultimately if your SAT and class rank and GPA are lacking they don’t care at all about what else you have. Review applicant admission to A&M is extremely competitive.</p>

<p>I would say right now, while your stats aren’t bad, you probably won’t be admitted. Improving your SAT score to a 1300 CR+Math would put you into the automatic admit. I would say that’s your best shot. If you can’t get into that category at least improve your score.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>Yeah that’s what I thought, just needed someone to say it. The regular apps are due Jan. 15, so I am gonna go for that academic admit. Simple tweaks can really improve my math score I think, and I have never taken the ACT so I will also take that.</p>

<p>Take the ACT for sure. IMO the SAT is a much harder test. Your class rank isn’t bad but it won’t stand out. So that’s pretty neutral for you. Like I said before though, none of your stats are really bad, they just don’t stand out at all. And that’s going to hurt you. May I ask are you a Texas resident? That may make a difference to them. They like out of state students in the review category since all of the auto admits are usually from Texas.</p>

<p>What are your other school choices? I can maybe chance you for those too.</p>

<p>Hold up Sergeant since we are chancing… Would being a minority help/hurt ones chances? And for a lot of people a 30 on the act is pretty much out of reach so what would be a decent score? Also I have a feeling that the class of 2017 will be a lot weaker(academically) then class of 2016.</p>

<p>Well certainly being a minority cannot legally hurt your chances (that’s a big no-no in our legal system), but I would not bank on it getting you into college…</p>

<p>Shoot for a 27+ on the ACT, given that you have stellar grades. I was right on the bubble but had really good grades and that’s what got me in. I did have a friend with a 25 and good grades and he got flat out rejected.</p>

<p>Wow a 25 and still rejected… And what do you consider good grades? Say you have a 3.9 gpa would that highly help your chances if your in the top 25%? Also if you don’t mind me asking what is your major and how hard is it to get your desired major(engineering) if your not initially accepted into your desired major</p>

<p>I mean, the definition of “good grades” is so subjective, but I usually say if you’re in the top 10-15% of your class, you make yourself competitive. If you’re in the top 25%, that’s good, but you don’t stand out. Of course if you’re anything lower than that you’re going to be at a disadvantage. I was a review applicant but was around the top 7% or so of my class, so grade wise I stood out. </p>

<p>I’m Engineering. From what I’ve heard Engineering is hard to get into but the hard part is to stay in it. That’s going to be my challenge this year. I think how it works is if you are accepted into the University and meet the designated criteria for Engineering (certain math score on SAT or ACT), AND given the fact that there are still spots in engineering, you are automatically accepted. I was pretty glad I got in considering my test scores were too low to even be considered to some comparable engineering schools. </p>

<p>A&M’s rolling admissions are actually set up quite nice. It doesn’t make it so one particular field is “super elite” and requires an amazing score to get into. I’ve heard of kids who had middle of the road test scores do well in A&M’s engineering program. The business school is a lot like that too.</p>

<p>Awesome! So I know most of the hard weed out classes are in the first 2 years for engineering?(Correct me if I’m wrong) would you advise for a student entering into the school of engineering to accept Calc BC credit and Physics C credit so that the only major weed out courses would be Chem 107 and engr 111 & 112? And would accepting these credits even be allowed for an engineer student?</p>

<p>Do you think liberal arts is any easier? I want to major in international relations. And I am actually in state, and a minority too even though i honestly don’t think that helps.</p>

<p>@Faith – the weed out classes are definitely more in the first year. The bad ones are Physics 218 +208 and Math 151 and 152. Keep this in mind about AP credit: you’re not going to be able to test out of ALL the math at A&M, so you are doing yourself a favor by retaking some of the math classes you took in high school because you get a feel for the math curriculum there (which is a lot harder than the one you had in high school). If you get credit for 151 and 152 by doing well on the BC exam, I would probably only take credit for 151 AND I would repeat 151 as well. It doesn’t hurt to just take the same class over again and get an A. Consider it a GPA booster if you will. That’s at least what I’m doing. I took Calc AB in high school so I couldn’t have got out of 152 but I’m still taking 151 again.</p>

<p>I don’t mean to offend you, and maybe you’re really smart, but I think the odds of anyone getting credit for the physics C test are pretty small. When a school only takes the Physics C test and makes you get a 4 or a 5 on it, that’s basically their way of telling you to not take credit for physics because you will get blown away by the higher level science classes there. I took the Physics B test and found it pretty tough. Even the physics geniuses in my class didn’t take the Physics C test because they knew it wouldn’t help them at all. It’s just…not a good idea. </p>

<p>The point I’m trying to make is that I’m not taking credit for any math or science classes because I know that the curriculum for those classes at A&M is going to be way more difficult than it was in high school. If you’re taking credit because you’re afraid of the weed out classes, you will only pay for it later on.</p>

<p>Yeah I have the same question, go check out my thread on it and tell me what y’all think.
-Tuwood</p>

<p>But when y’all check it out, I have a thread on UT Austin as well, that is the more up-to-date stats. So just look at those and comment on the a&m thread. The a&m is more general and the UT thread is pretty specific.(stats wise)</p>

<p>Link your thread. No one’s going to go search for it.</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1450661-what-my-chances-looking-like-texas-m.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1450661-what-my-chances-looking-like-texas-m.html&lt;/a&gt; is the thread but there is more detailed stats info on my other thread</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1451680-what-my-chances-ut-austin.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1451680-what-my-chances-ut-austin.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Not very likely at all for UT. Maybe for A&M, could go either way.</p>

<p>@Faith2017</p>

<p>I’m not sure if it has changed, but you only need a 3 on both AP Physics C tests to test out of both 208 and 218-and the AP Physics C curve is really generous. Definitely test out of both if possible (Unless you’re MEEN or ECEN). PHYS 208 is a HUGE weeder and you would be best advised to skip it at all if possible, or take it at a cc.
For math, either accept credit for BOTH 151 and 152, or retake both. 152 is another weeder class and its a lot tougher than in high school. I started off in 152 and barely pulled off a B in that class. 251 on the other hand was much easier and I got an A relatively easily. </p>

<p>From my experience, the CHEM classes aren’t big weeders. just go to class and do the homework. Those classes have a lot of business/liberal arts kids so engineering students would likely be above the curve in CHEM 101/102.</p>

<p>What are my chances of getting into A&M?
I go to a non-ranking school, but A&M gave me a rank of 2nd quarter. I applied late August but have not applied for scholarships yet.</p>

<p>SAT: 2010 (1270 CR&M)
ACT: 29
GPA: 3.3 out of 4.0 (unweighted) </p>

<p>I have a counselor there and have visited multiple times, including football and volleyball games. I also have a ton of extra-curricular activities, including student government (senior class president) and president of 2 clubs. I also volunteer a lot and have a part-time job right now as well as running my own custom prints business. What are my chances? Someone told me that I just might get Blinn TEAM but would it be possible to get full acceptance into A&M?</p>

<p>Katie, I don’t know your chances of A&M, but if you are offered Blinn Team, I hope you will take a good look at it! It is a great program, and the Blinn Team kids really feel a part of A&M. You will know exactly what you have to do to get into A&M from the Blinn Team. We know many kids who did Blinn Team then A&M and loved the program.</p>