Chances of me getting into Petroleum Engineering at TAMU

<p>Hello Everyone! I'm looking to apply to Texas A&M for Petroleum Engineering and I should be submitting my application soon and might retake sat and act again. Help me out here.</p>

<p>GPA - 3.5630
W GPA - 4.596
Class Rank - 89 of 450</p>

<p>SAT
Math - 740
Reading - 590
Writing - 580</p>

<p>ACT
Comp - 28
Math-34
Science-28
Reading-24
English-26</p>

<p>Mostly all Pre-ap and AP classes.
Applying Early.
Member of Environmental Club and Student Council
Helped out in my dad's small business which handles oil drilling simulatoer
3 years of National Honor Society.
Working at Gideon, A place where I teach K-12 graders math, reading and writing. 12-15 hrs a week during summer and school year</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for the help!</p>

<p>Can anyone chance me?</p>

<p>In-state or out?</p>

<p>I assume he is in-state since he works at Gideon.</p>

<p>Yes I am in state</p>

<p>As of now, you’re a review applicant so your chances are slim. If you can get your SAT reading score up to a 600, you’ll be automatic and you’ll more than likely get in CoE. That’s only ten more points, with just a little studying you shouldn’t have a problem. Good luck!</p>

<p>Lol I think I know you. I worked at Gideon and know a Nitesh there. I will begin studying Engineering this fall at A&M, so my past year has basically been the entire admissions process. Based on your ranking, you will not be an automatic admit. However, lilelmo is right! That’s how my friend got in. Also you have a way higher SAT math score than I did. So you’ll definitely qualify for getting into engineering and some scholarships. Make sure you keep track of deadlines!!! I cannot stress this enough. Hope this helps!</p>

<p>Anyone reading this willing to take a guess at an out of state applicant? Here are the stats:</p>

<p>SAT
M 780
R 730
W 690</p>

<p>ACT
Comp 34
(can’t recall the exact scores but I think R 36, M 33, S 34, W 32)</p>

<p>W GPA 3.84
UW GPA 3.0
All Honors, Accelerated (like AP in non AP subjects) and AP classes
Took two AP sciences Junior year (so took an additional academic class overall)</p>

<p>AP scores of 5 in US History, 5 in Chemistry and 4 in Euro History</p>

<p>Two sport athlete - multi year starter
Some service work but not a lot
Attends a very rigorous private school (we had 14 NMSF/12 NMF last year in a graduating class of 100)
Weighted GPA puts him in the solid middle of the second quartile of the class (unofficially of course – officially they don’t rank like many private schools)</p>

<p>GPA is influenced by having a documented learning difference/medical condition (which the school will write about in their recommendation)</p>

<p>Thoughts? Any chance? How do they weigh GPA vs scores for OOS applicants?</p>

<p>Legally, they are not allowed to disclose your documented LD. You have done so well, I would not disclose that until you are admitted and then disclose so you can get accommodations in college - that you may need. Make sure that is not part of the recommendation</p>

<p>So if we don’t talk about what affected GPA, how do you explain that disconnect between it and scores other than the school assuming he was just lazy? Particularly if the item was something diagnosed at the end of Freshman year that took about 2 years to get under control? Thanks for the insights!</p>

<p>IF they agree with your assessment of 26-50% rank, then he’d be a review admit. Everything counts : 50% grades & scores, 50% everything else (essays, EC, rec,interest etc). This is a tough one to figure - hopefully the school sends a profile attachment with transcripts explaining the unusually high caliber of students. The built in equalizer for high caliber schools is the top 25% with scores academic admit category. Admissions will assign him a rank based on what is sent. I would ask your registrar what is sent to colleges (it should be a standard form that is sent with all transcripts). If admissions assigns him top 25%, he would become an academic admit. It is my understanding that you can ask what % he is assigned after submitting an application. This university uses class rank (vs GPA) and scores heavily in the process for admissions. His scores are great, hopefully that will help in evaluating the school caliber for rank assignment. </p>

<p>Because this school has a large amount of both top 10% instate and academic admits, it is becoming quite difficult to get admission for review candidates. I disagree with the previous poster and would reveal the LD in the optional (that isn’t really optional) essay. That will be looked at for a review candidate and would explain why the grades/scores are different - especially if it included an upward trend or medication changes that affected performance. IF I remember correctly, the application asked you to explain if anything affected your academic performance in that essay ( maybe that has changed? or maybe I’m thinking of another school… but that is what I recall). Good luck!</p>

<p>Can some more people give me there opinion, it will be appreciated. Thanks.</p>

<p>@niteshkw‌ I agree you are a review admit. My first S had similar SAT scores MA 800 and CR 580 and was still told he would be a review admit. He retook SAT in October and made 600 on CR to become auto admit.</p>

<p>So even though your Math scores are impressive they are not enough to get you in, automatically.</p>

<p>My S was Applied Math, not engineering. Engineering fills up quickly. Your best bet seems to be to apply early AND retake SAT to get that 600 CR. Then your chances will be much better.</p>

<p>@niteshkw, since you are a review candidate we will all basically post the same advice. </p>

<p>Majority of engineers are academic or top 10% admits. Review admit pool is very competitive as it also contains some later applying auto admits, and those who came from very competitive HS that are just outside the 25% with high scores as well as students like yourself that are so close to auto admits.</p>

<p>If you are asking your chances of admission as presented, I would put you on the fence…maybe yes, maybe no as a review admit. Everything counts, so they will look at your EC, essays, recs, interest, etc. I would retake the SAT and see if you can manage to qualify as an academic admit.</p>

<p>If I apply now but in October change from review to academic , will it be too late?</p>

<p>No one can answer that with certainty. It will depend on how many applicants that they have processed by the time your scores are available, HOWEVER, even if you don’t get the auto admit to engineering major it would be an advantage as you would then be an auto admit to the university itself, and be in that group for the review for the last few slots that they keep open until the end of the application period ( Dec 1). Retaking can only have a positive effect on your application. Any test score submitted prior to Dec 1 can be considered in your admission status.</p>

<p>Updated Act Scores:</p>

<p>ENG: 31
MATH: 33
READING: 30
SCIENCE: 30
COMPOSITE:31</p>

<p>CAN SOMEONE CHANCE ME NOW? ALSO IS IT TOO LATE FOR PETROLEUM ENGINEERING??</p>

<p>BUMP</p>

<p>Submit ASAP. You will be admitted to the university & get engineering if it is still open when they process your application OR you will be put in the pool to compete for the last 15% of engineering majors. The cutoff is reached whenever it is reached, there isn’t an exact date and each year can be entirely different. The only certainty is that the longer you wait, the fewer spots will be available.</p>

<p>Im in the same situation. Im in the 36 percentile of my class, and i got a 30 on my last ACT (34 math)( i had a 28 when i applied in august), What are the chances? and i just submitted my new ACT scores yesterday</p>