Chances

<p>UW Madison is the top school on my list. Both my parents went to the school and my dad got his phd in molecular biology here. Anyways here's some info...</p>

<p>gpa~3.52
sat: 1890 (600cr, 650m, 640w)
Class rank:~top 25%
No ap's junior year but 3 as a senior(ab calc, physics b, stats or world history)</p>

<p>EC's:
Rowing:4 years, 3 on varsity
Soccer freshman year
No volunteer work:/</p>

<p>Other stuff:
First generation student
Alumni relation(as mentioned above)
Out of state (CT resident)
White male
Income:~50,000 to 100000</p>

<p>Any input is appreciated thanks in advance</p>

<p>Just a quick comment:</p>

<p>You state that both your parents went to UW and that you are ‘first generation’.</p>

<p>First generation means neither of your parents graduated from any college.</p>

<p>How are you classified as a first generation student when your father has a PhD and your mother went to UW?</p>

<p>Ohhhh… sorry, someone told me that first generation meant the first child to go to college. That makes more sense</p>

<p>They accept about 50% of students. I know several people from my school in MN that have alot higher of stats. Sorry, but I think it’s a long shot.</p>

<p>Parent of incoming OOS freshman here, my son was admitted with about 3.5 and 29 ACT, (35 reading, 25 math – a very lopsided learner – his low grades all came in math classes). All IB/AP classes. When he spoke with admissions rep after the info session on his visit, he was advised that the rigor of his curriculum (quite high) could help.</p>

<p>My advice is make sure you focus your essays on the prompt very specifically as the Common Data set for UW shows the essays are ranked as “important” in the admission decision, make sure you have strong teacher recs and submit them (they are optional and are “considered.” Legacy status is only “considered” in admissions so may help a little, but not huge bump.</p>

<p>You may want to consider timing of your app – a strong first semester can build on an upward trend in your GPA. Of course, an early app could result in postponed or the worst --straight rejection. My sense from last year is that a straight out acceptance for OOS student in the early fall is not likely, though who knows.</p>

<p>You can read the old threads from fall and winter to get a feel for stats of students postponed etc from last admissions cycle. </p>

<p>If you are looking for a Midwest public as a sure thing, take a look at Univ Iowa – admission is based on a straight formula using GPA, test scores class rank and curriculum and you can calculate it on-line and know if you will be admitted. You might also look at Minnesota - Twin Cities. </p>

<p>Good luck, and hang in there.</p>

<p>Why would you want to go to UW when your family income isn’t low enough to get aid. If you went to UW your debt level after four years would be over 100K. If I were you my top choice would be UCONN. My daughter goes to UCONN and loves it. Good luck</p>

<p>An additional thought – you mentioned your father has his Ph.D from UW – if he is a professor at another university, do you have tuition benefits that will contribute to tuition at another school? </p>

<p>As many parents will suggest, now is the time to have the conversation with your parents about finances. How much is saved, how much can they contribute? Publics rarely give much need-based financial aid to non-residents because that is not their mission. </p>

<p>Again, good luck.</p>

<p>Hey thanks for all the input. To answer your question I get pretty substantial cuts on tuition at UConn but I would love to see the world outside of Connecticut (whether it’s Wisconsin, California, Florida, etc.)</p>

<p>Do you have an intended major? That would help point you in the right direction. Your stats are not high enough to get into a high level University of California, but may get you into a Cal State depending on your major. My son, also OOS, was admitted to UW less than three weeks after he submitted his application last fall,but he had good stats: 4.0 UW, ACT 32.</p>

<p>I would like to major in either physics or history and Madison has great programs for both as far as I know (especially history)</p>

<p>Consider taking advantage of attending UConn with the substantial tuition cuts you mentioned, and then go to grad school at UW-Madison.</p>