chances? :/

<p>UW-Madison is my dream school but I really need to put some more work in.</p>

<p>10th grade GPA- 2.8
11th grade 1st semester GPA- 3.0</p>

<p>(I have 2 semesters to bring my GPA up and im aiming for a 3.2-3.3)</p>

<p>In my junior year i am taking one AP class and one honors class per semester. Next year I am taking Post secondary. I am taking the ACT next month and have the princeton review book that im preparing with. Im hoping for a 27. I played 1 year of baseball and will have 3 years of lacrosse under my belt. With volunteering at the boys and girls club and letters of reccomendation, will i have a decent shot? I hope to write a very good essay as well. I would really like to sit down with a counselor during my campus visit as well.</p>

<p>Any imput would be great, thanks.</p>

<p>Your gonna have to aim a bit higher than 3.2-3.3 especially if that is weighted.... If thats unweighted and you had a 3.3 cumulative, and 27 on the act u might have a chance.</p>

<p>yes it would be a unwieghted 3.2</p>

<p>by the way is it hard to bring your gpa up from 2.8-3.2 in 2 semesters?</p>

<p>Math is the only thing bringing me down i got a D in math and am sitting at a 3.0 for junior year 1st semester</p>

<p>Take a look at the UW website for admissions which has a graph that shows admittance percentages for people with your statistics. That will show you in black and white what your chances are.</p>

<p>ya..... a d in math is gonna kill you</p>

<p>A drastic improvement in your grades would mean something- do your best, put forth the effort. At worst you will have a better foundation for whichever college yoiu attend.</p>

<p>im a junior with 3.0 cumulative gpa in all pre college classes 180/365 class rank active in sports if i stay at this rate do i have a serious chance of in getting into madison ive looked at admission rates and such but i need to hear an actual opinion....just wondering</p>

<p>boomer2o5- I think if you bring that gpa up you'll have a much better chance, if math is your weakness get a tutor and ask for help afterclass, etc. Depending on which math class you're in, you also might want to consider dropping down a level (more challenging classes only look better to colleges if you earn some decent grades in them, Cs at least).</p>

<p>Try hard, maybe try to get involved in some particularly unique E.C.s as well to offset to the somewhat low GPA. I would say you still have a shot; not only do you still have time to improve but I know of some postponed students with your stats getting in.</p>

<p>kingqb10- I more or less have the same thing to say to you: work on the gpa.</p>

<p>honestly, you are both hurting. because of the drastic increase in application numbers both this year and in previous years..madison like many other schools is turning down top notch students. you both need very high ACT scores(32+) and improvement in your gpas to have a legitimate shot. not impossible, just work hard and good luck!!</p>

<p>first, you don't need a 32+ ACT to get in here, even with the gpa you have. Assuming you get the score you want, my recommendation is to turn in your application to this school the first day it comes out, it's always easier to get in when no one has even applied yet.</p>

<p>I am living proof. I have been accepted to Madison with an ACT score of 26.</p>

<p>However, I have done a lot of things, my grades are quite good, and all my classes are advanced.</p>

<p>ACT isn't everything though...and don't let people tell you that. I still wish I put some effort into the ACT and studied for it and what not though. >_></p>

<p>EDIT: From what I have read, there are people here who have been rejected with a 30+ ACT score. Also, the postponing letter I got in October (I say that because I don't believe they accept very many people that early on and I feel people won't take me as seriously if I don't mentioned how early I got that letter) said their expected average ACT score for this years class would be 30 or so. My point is....it's a combination of everything, not just one score, not just your academics.</p>

<p>EDIT2:</p>

<p>
[quote]

first, you don't need a 32+ ACT to get in here, even with the gpa you have. Assuming you get the score you want, my recommendation is to turn in your application to this school the first day it comes out, it's always easier to get in when no one has even applied yet.

[/quote]

I don't have proof to back this up, but Madison seems to accept very few people early as they seem to like to get all of the applications before they start accepting people. My high school councilors have said the same thing. HOWEVER, it will probably look impressive that you got your application in so early and it won't hurt you.</p>

<p>Other schools on the other hand who accept on a rolling basis (or whatever it is called) are a different story...applying early would be a bigger advantage in that case.</p>

<p>Those with excellent credentials will get their acceptance as soon as their complete application has been reviewed, those who are considered acceptable may have to wait to see if the class fills up with better qualified students. This year they had a huge number of applicants and a new computer system which bogged things down. It's a hard thing for them to give students an answer- they want to get the best students and have to have room for those who apply in January. All that said, apply as soon as you can in the fall, you will know your status sooner and can research other schools if need be.</p>

<p>Every college wants you to succeed, if you don't have grades typical of the students attending the school you may not be able to handle the work load and may be better off at a different school. The more you learn in HS the better prepared you will be for the class work in college; you don't want to be enrolled only to flunk out because you don't have the study skills, can't handle the pace or lack the background knowledge. Consider why you have the grades you do- if it is due to poor study habits, learn how to; if it is for other reasons, learn how to overcome them. Regardless of which college you attend it is necessary to have good work habits and study skills.</p>